Queen Anne Style Barge c. 1705 by samueljr - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company

The molding should have added only 1/32" as it was 1/32" thick so I would suggest another 1/32" less.  I know you went with a different molding strip but that makes all the difference in the world when it comes to the thickness of the caprail when it is finished up.

Chuck

• 9 months later...

Early New Year's resolution - FINISH BARGE!

The pics aren't that good (taken with an old IPhone)  

The cherry wood has taken on a nice warm hue with the cut golden oak stain. The black is Winsor Newton Galleria Mars Black.

The frieze panel frames were actually "washed" with a thinned down paint I had color matched to a stained scrap piece of the cherry wood from the kit.

It took the "edge" off of the boxwood color and with the char bleeding through a bit it matched on tone to the build.

The paint is the base color I am going to use on the castings. I purchased the resin set from Syren and will use the paint and then weathering powders to simulate the cherry of the kit (hopefully)

Hope everyone is doing well and is having a great holiday season

Sam

barge 1.jpg

barge 2.jpg

barge 3.jpg

barge 4.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Thanks Jim

I stated when this started (so looooong ago) that I wanted to try to get a more older look to it.

Say along the lines of Alex's CUMBERLAND (and please I would never even dream I am close to that level of building) just trying to get that look.

Sam

Well working my way through the carvings.

I decided to go with the resin set from Syren. They are beautifully done and have a great amount of detail for such thin and small elements.

The process I followed to transform (?) them is the following

After washing they were primed with the paint I had mixed to match the cherry of the kit. It is close (not exact) but provides a good foundation color

I then scraped  a couple of earth tone pastels ( a brown and a more golden color) into powder and dusted the pieces

I then dry brushed them from the inside sides of a can Golden Oak stain. This did a couple of things it started to create more depth on the pieces' edges and also gave a little luster with the oil from the liquid

When this was dry I very lightly swept the pieces with a brush of acrylic sepia brown and buffed with a soft tooth brush

As I've been saying all along I am trying to mimic the style of some of the Eastern European builders.

Don't know if I've got it but I think I'm close.

I have to decide what to do with the stern. The blue tape is holding the strap on currently. I am debating whether to add in some scroll from

the half -wreaths forward above the middle molding. 

I am also toying with the idea of a lion figure head. I've started sculpting one that would be about 2'-03" in scale so as not to over power the lines. ODF attached.

?????????????????????

Sam

BARGE LION MOUNTED 022718.pdf

BARGE 5.jpg

BARGE 7.jpg

BARGE 8.jpg

BARGE 9.jpg

BARGE 10.jpg

BARGE 11.jpg

BARGE 12.jpg

Just a quick update on the BARGE's bow.

I've ordered another set of the cast scroll pieces from Syren and am pretty certain they will be added on.

I've attached a pic of the lion figure head I'm considering. I made it out of sculpey. What you see is only a silhouette (it's about a 1/16" thick and is glue sticked on the stem.

I think the proportion looks acceptable. It's about 1-3/16" tall so I'm holding close to my goal of about 2'-03" in scale.

The black line at it's feet is where the bottom of the existing bow wreaths are.

Sam 

lion pic a.jpg

Figure head and additional scroll added. 

The only item left is the tiller (it's been turned, I'm deciding how to finish it)

There will be no frieze inserts, flags or oars on the build. Only a simple base.

DSCN2648 (2).JPG

Great figure head! It's always fun to see everyone's different approach to the same model. Very nice. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Good morning Russ

Thank you!  The build is done except for the base which I'm just starting to construct.

I'm actually happy with the overall appearance given my goal from the outset. 

Once it's mounted I'll break out the camera and take a few pics. The phone I'm using is picking up a lot of red.

Here's a little better shot of the figure head. It's about 2'-08" in scale. It's a little taller than I set out for but it looks proportionally right.

My wife wants to know why it's tongue is sticking out? LOL! 

Are you going to be able to make the February meeting in Rochester.

Sam

LION 011519aaa.jpg

Hi Sam. Sadly I will not be there in February. Unfortunately I have to work that day. Hopefully March will be better. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Well this is it.

The BARGE is complete and on it's permanent base. For my purposes as I've said there will be no flags, sweeps or internal decorations.

Thanks to everyone for checking in.

On to the next project ............................................

BARGE COMPLETE 1a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 2a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 3a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 4a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 5a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 6a.jpg

BARGE COMPLETE 7a.jpg

Thank you to all for the "likes" through the project and for the words of encouragement. It's not always easy (or comfortable) not following the crowd.

Michael, I am an unapologetic kit basher and have several on my work bench in various states of completion. I just don't know where I'm headed next.

Also I've been given the opportunity to throw my hat in the kit design ring (again) by one of the Manufacturer/Sponsors of MSW. I've stated the initial beta testing of bulkheads )so far - so good) and will know in the near future if we're going to move forward with the project.

Sam