Queen Anne Barge by Trussben - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

Thank you for that Ben, I'm not trying to steal your build log I promise.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Thanks Ben

That's actually what I'm using. The small surfaces combined with the tight grain make it tough to get it to bite in sometimes.

Have you started working with any finishes yet? Using scrap from the sheets I've laid down a first coat of 50/50 (mineral spirit/tung oil) with a second coat of tung on top. It' will have to dry over night. Not excited about it so far. Reminds me of wood work/trim you find in houses. No depth.

Once dry I'm going to try a wash of burnt sienna and a wash of yellow ochre to see if I can get a deeper patina. I've looked into bithumen(sp?) but not certain if that would be the way to go. 

If I don't like any of those I may take a look at some of the tinted Danish Oils.

Also when I find the finish I want when do I apply it? I know the directions finish progressively, but if it's a two or three step process how to keep it consistent through the build?

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Sam,

Couple of things that I have noticed in the past using oil finishes.

1. If you have any glue residue on the wood, when you apply the oil it sits on top of the glue and doesn't soak in leaving a blemish, so make sure to wash off excess glue before it dries, or you will have to sand/scrape it off afterwards.

2. Like you said, first coat gets diluted so it penetrates, leave for 20 mins then wipe off the excess oil. Second coat goes on full strength - leave for 20 mins and then rub off with lint free rag to get a nice deep luster. If you don't rub it off well you will get a more shiny and reflective surface finish that I don't care for.

Ben

Nice work, Ben. She looks like a great side project to palliate the inevitable burnout that accompanies a multi-year build.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

No problem Chris, you were the one who taught me a lot about oil finish on your Confed build.

Greg - yeh, the pounding away on the Pegasus for the last several years took some toll, I needed a nice quick diversion that shows some faster gratification.

• 1 month later...

So work has been crazy but I finally managed to get some modeling time in on the Barge.

The planking part of the build has been completed, and a lot of care had to be taken to get it right. Soaking of the prespiled planks and clamping to the hull and then drying with a hairdryer seemed to work the best for me.

i have lightly sanded the planking and will now begin to remove the frame tabs.

ben

809D3EAD-8F77-41F4-A77C-11422B9200AF.jpeg

That looks really really good Ben.  It looks perfect.  Careful removing those frame centers.....its the fun part.:)

Looks really nice Ben. I hope to come close to duplicating your work. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice work Ben. Looking forward to many more pictures to help me when I get started on this beauty. 

Ian 

And before you get too far ahead,  Here are some pictures of another Contemporary Queen Anne Style Barge with a different color scheme.  This also served as inspiration for mine but I noticed I didnt include any images of this one in my instructions.  Note the absence of a flying transom.  But more interesting is the carved details that are taken all the way up towards the stem.  Also note the additional carvings at the stem.  Maybe one of you ambitious lads are up to this challenge.  :)  A little inspiration as this one really inspired me while building and designing the kit.  I almost used that interesting tiller.....check it out!!!  The queen anne figure is NOT original to the model and it was a replacement for the lost original.  So they left it unpainted.  But the other figures are all contemporary and original.    I designed a what I hope is a great set of bones for you folks (which is the stage that Ben is at right now) but if you look around.....check out the museums... there are unlimited varieties of looks and decorations that this kit can be turned into....should you desire.  I look forward to seeing some interesting and different iterations.  But I do like what I went with as well.

QAbargenmm.jpg

qabargenmm1.jpg

qabargenmm2.jpg

qabargenmm3.jpg

qabargenmm4.jpg

WAS IT EVIL OF ME TO POST THESE......ENJOY!!!!

WAS IT EVIL OF ME TO POST THESE......ENJOY!!!!

Very much so!!! One thing that struck me was that the Queen sat close to the tiller. How was one supposed to gain access to it?

Was there enough room behind her for a sailor to stand?

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Small update,

The frame tabs were removed with no issues, I use a scalpel saw instead of the file that Chuck used. Then the frame tops were sanded down level with the top of the planking and a nice smooth sheer was developed.

After that it was an easy job to adjust and install the cap rail and sand it’s outboard edge flush with the planking.

Now I will begin sanding the inboard framing and the cap rail until it’s 5/64 thick at the top as Chuck suggests.

ben

4AF93B1F-2109-4761-B1C9-E3481574542A.jpeg

F0ABA4AE-FA01-4E6F-B6B2-5301FD6AD373.jpeg

Wonderful!!!  :)

When thinning down the frames inboard I always bend back the corners of my sandpaper so they wont catch on one of the frames and break them.   Its hard to explain but Im sure you will see what I mean when you start that procedure.

Chuck

Doesn't putting the caprail on now before sanding increase the likelihood of accidentally sanding into it while thinning out the frames?

Well done Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking really good Ben. Awsome workmanship.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

A little more work completed on the Barge, the flooring and platforms were marked for height and installed, also work on the rear seats has begun.

Thought i I would show a pic next to Pegasus just for fun even though the barge is double the scale.

ben

05F85842-F9CE-4354-BF27-D09F08506270.jpeg

7AAF6560-E5A8-4183-9B00-9455314E8CAC.jpeg

Very nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Couple of pictures of my slow progress with painting, I’m not very good at it and have to use many thinned coats.

I will start with the spreaders and then the Thwarts next.

You will also see my Confederacy build in the background, she has been cleaned off and some repairs were made to her from our house move a couple of years ago, after the barge is completed I will be working on her alongside Pegasus.

ben

0A1AFF0B-ADE9-467D-B9DA-FF11157C2342.jpeg

BA190B58-C0A2-4E91-A30B-A76823663D0C.jpeg

Edited by Trussben