Proper scaling of rigging lines and pulleys

Seamus107

I am planning a 1/24 scale diorama that will include part of a square-rigger mast and at least one spar, maybe two. Given my chosen scale, It is critical for the sizes of the rigging lines and pulleys to be as accurate as possible. Any suggestions about where to find information about the actual sizes of pulleys and the full-sized diameter of rigging lines on fully-rigged ship would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Past projects:  Galway hooker; Durham boat; Mayflower shallop; Irish seagoing currach; James Caird; Cornish fishing lugger; Pitcairn Island longboat; Bounty launch.

I think a bit more information is needed...  warship or commercial?  How large is the ship?  Rigging dimensions would have based on era, type of ship, and size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

With the information as indicated by mtaylor you can go into tables of rigging proportions that have been published since about the middle of the 18th century. We can then point you to a book from the apropriate period that will give you the size of ropes from which one can deduct the lengths of blocks and hence their other dimensions.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg