Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Hi everyone - I have had this kit in the closet for quite awhile from Model Expo,so now is a good time to start it. After doing a little searching on the internet,this appears to be an actual ship - a Manila galleon of 50 guns that sank in 1750. The kit came in 6 boxes & upon opening the boxes there a number of laser cut wood sheets(mostly plywood) along with several plastic containers containing fittings & other small pieces. There are also the usual bundles of strip wood & dowels. Some of the wood will likely be replaced since much of it is a coarse grained reddish brown wood. One nice feature is it comes with pre-sewn sails ready to mount(no excuse for not putting sails on this one). It builds into a ship just over 1100mm long,so it shouldn`t be too hard to add some detail.it comes with written & pictorial instructions,but the only plan sheets provided are for the masting & rigging - none for the actual ship structures(not really needed because of the many pictures.

DSCF0001.JPG.a5e541626073cf5d96e8fcef6a4ff633.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.b2efc48d719966a851ad330608faa195.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.daf1a281a7db44a6494f92e630e142f8.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.e930e5ba455fc1f95d013709bb16d9f6.JPG 

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

I'll grab a front row seat for this build. First I've heard of this one

Thanks Don & Nigel - I still need to stock the fridge & find a popcorn machine:P. Does anyone know how to create a link to my signature? There are no post numbers,so I don`t know where to start:huh:. When I started my last ship the posts were numbered,so creating a link was pretty straightforward.

Mark

I posted that question in the topic of how to use & post to the forum,but deleted it after 30-some people looked at over 3 or 4 days  but I got no replies. Maybe a moderator or admin. can chime in if they see this. I have a print out of the original instructions to add a link which the first step is to right click on the first post number,but since the posts are no longer numbered I don`t know where to start:default_wallbash:.

Mark

Never noticed the number missing until now, sorry I can't help but I'll be watching for the answer

Hi everyone. Getting started,I located the keel former which is in 2 pieces. The bad news is the front section has a nasty warp in it:(.

DSCF0001.JPG.80cad75ce27c0c3c7d4c0370d9d000b8.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.19036ea475a3e0e6db756113dc9d921f.JPG

Using the lower gun deck & the stiffening bars along with some creative clamping,the bulkheads lined up acceptably & were glued in place. To straighten the warp some slots were cut into the stem section so it would bend more easily & the 2 reinforcements were glued & clamped to the sides,eliminating the warp. Many of the wood sheets were enclosed in shrink wrap,so moisture or dryness should not have been a problem. The shrink wrap was pretty tight,so maybe that caused the warping. There was more warping further back on the former,but did not affect the bulkhead alignment. A little disappointed that pretty much all the wood in the kit is plywood except for the planking strips,so a little creative painting or veneering will be needed in some areas. Also,I found some more plan sheets hidden in the bottom of a couple of boxes so the kit does contain the usual number of plans showing the deck layout & etc.

DSCF0003.JPG.6e11c981ec1455195cbeb365891250d0.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.c1ca413aa264744daa28c08b4493658f.JPG

Mark

On 16/01/2018 at 8:06 AM, marktiedens said:

Does anyone know how to create a link to my signature? There are no post numbers,so I don`t know where to star

Mark, I've done the link for you. While there are no actual Post Numbers any more you can provide a link to a specific post by RIGHT-clicking on the little icon that looks like three joined dots in the top-right corner of the post and selecting "Copy Link Location" from the drop-down menu. Then select the text you want to add the link to, click the Link icon at the top of the Edit Box (the 3-link chain), and Paste the link into the URL box.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi everyone - just a small update.

The lower deck is provided in 4 pieces which the instructions say to plank before gluing them in place. I prefer to plank the decks after they are glued in place,so I glued all 4 sections to the bulkheads - they fit almost perfect. Next will be to plank that deck,but there is a slight problem - every single strip of wood provided to plank the deck is terribly warped as you can see in the picture:angry:. I just happen to have a bunch of leftover walnut strips which are nice & straight,so I will bleach them to a light grey & use them:)

DSCF0001.JPG.6902d77da3074ac02da1d9c029b5ba13.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.c32816e0e9817706c1aa215bf2e81b0d.JPG

Mark  

Hi everyone - time for an update. The lower deck sections were glued in place & planked with bleached walnut which turned to a light grey & a #2 pencil was run along the edges. Nailing was simulated by using a half twist of a #78 drill bit to make a tiny indentation.  No finish is applied yet. The kit supplied deck planking will be used for kindling. Also did some fairing of the bulkheads.

DSCF0001.JPG.fd69ce10bb52bd59f716f522c572daf9.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.0a7f8a38e4fbe13a96ec1e59543cd9c3.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.b0b545c32f25dd73fb7bd62ad923e8c1.JPG

Mark 

Planking looks great, I'm interested in seeing how it will look with a coat of finish

Hi zappto - welcome aboard! Yes, the kit comes with a full set of pre-made sails.

DSCF0002.JPG.a024cd49c703301a6703beb2603f70f6.JPG

Also,a small update. A coat of poly has been applied to the deck. The look is a little more uneven than I would have liked,but that`s ok because most of this deck is not visible. It still looks way better than the kit supplied strips which were unusable anyway. The last batch of planks I treated this way came out really nice & even,so I figure I must have messed something up.

Also the gunport frames for this deck were glued in place.

DSCF0003.JPG.412bf7c860804f517f7da5a64feb981a.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.f72db1d84034ff51104154db82539629.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG.2df622347bda6976ab6ef2f2790537e1.JPG

Mark

Do you use ordinary household bleach? Those sails look good. As you say the deck will be fine once filled up with furniture and everything else.

Yes,plain old Clorox bleach (about 45 minutes). It doesn`t seem to hurt the wood any. I just make sure to rinse the wood very well afterward & let dry overnight. I think the uneven look was from not stirring the wood strips occasionally while soaking. Most of this deck will be covered by the upper deck - only the area where the opening is will show. some gratings will go in the opening in this deck,so I guess I didn`t need to "nail" the whole deck. I`m trying to be very careful as I work - those bulkhead extensions are very fragile:o.

Mark 

Hi everyone - another update. The inner bulwarks were planked & small gaps between the bulwarks & the gunports frames were filled with scrap pieces as per the instructions. Then the gunports were cut out of the planking & the bulwarks were painted red (a Vallejo paint called gory red).

DSCF0001.JPG.92787bfef37b9dae5d1d448891838b68.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.a46b8056ee9bc9314d393f0bd94cb74d.JPG

Mark

Hi everyone - a little more progress. The upper deck support beams are now in place as well as the forecastle deck & it`s planking. These deck planks came out much better than the previous batch {used tanganyika instead of walnut).No finish will be applied until all the upper decks are in place.

DSCF0001.JPG.72f5cff86c083239abc090f63b4350cc.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.970c3c292d196fd13354020d643164b0.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.acfb19690f499209575ae8d8068c98ce.JPG

Mark 

Edited by marktiedens

Hi everyone - a small update. Been working on the small deck sections at the waist. I decided to do them a little differently than the instructions called for - they said to glue the decks to the beams,add short sections along the length,cut some columns out of square stock & glue them in place,then cut the previously installed beams off where they span the opening over the lower deck. Seemed like an odd way to do it:huh:. What I did was cut off the support beams first,then glued a beam to the edge of the deck sections their full length. I didn`t much care for the look of plain square columns,so after some searching I found some nice turned columns at Ages of Sail. The columns were then glued to beams under the deck sections before I glued the decks in place so I could get them nice & vertical,then the decks were glued in place as a complete assembly. Just a note about the columns - I ordered them on Saturday morning & they were in my mailbox Monday afternoon!  Now that`s service!!! 

DSCF0001.JPG.9b244e0ec4c16e55b53e4b8c4fc224cc.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.834f02e9298dab0959dde633f54878ca.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark,

Boy, not much of a breather between models. And we're talking "monsters". Anyhoo, all the best with your new project and I'll happily follow along.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!