Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Hi everyone - the next thing to do is the inner bulwarks at the aft end of the ship. It comes in one long laser cut piece,which I painted red & glued to the bulkhead extensions - I had to look closely at the pictorial instructions to position it right.

DSCF0001.JPG.8e76db0c9149f90b7e74ed4c1fbc12ab.JPG

Next,the aft cabin walls were made up. The doors & windows are bronzed metal & were pretty well done. The instructions say to cut out the window inserts from the paper provided,but I thought it looked kind of cheesy,so I made my own windows by gluing some black window screen material to some clear acetate,then cut them to fit.

DSCF0003.JPG.d9f4a3fc691f72499f0cd8b397a357e2.JPG

Next,the cabin wall were chiseled out & painted yellow. Then the doors & windows were glued in place. The instructions indicated just painting the walls brown,which would look awful,so I planked them with some walnut strips. It came out that the doors & windows were close to flush with the planking,which I thought looked much better than just glued on & painted around.

DSCF0002.JPG.ce1f7b51b50d1f23a01c258bf486bbb8.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.4b8e81d56d76e61b109af87fcae334da.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.f31c3c2e74840c5bb4154daf5cc6fec9.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG.2e84609b7b5d28cb3754732a84a003be.JPG

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Do you know there is an e-book available describing the build and history of these Manila galleons, in particular

this Nuestra Senora del Pilar? It's called  "Retrato de un Navio" by Jesus Garcia del Valle y Gomez, available at 8 Euro

from Bubok.es.

Although it's in Spanish only, still you could get some interesting info from it I think.

Piet

Update - the poop deck,stem&keel,and the lower gunport frames have been added. The keel & stem are plywood:angry:,pre-stained,so I lined the edges with a veneer stained to match. Also,the planking has begun.

DSCF0001.JPG.f5c49e216fa2253104e59b72f6eb28ae.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.b6f8fcad4d855113ad1b0305ba7392f6.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.e52cc958546d6eaaa1f9f06b197da52c.JPG

Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad I found your new log. Looking very good. Good choice as well. Planking looks excellent as well.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Michael:D.  So far this is a much easier build than the Royal William despite the much lesser quality of wood. I am experimenting a little to see if I can cut some strips of cherry veneer to use on the lower part of the hull instead of the kit wood - it`s difficult to cut consistently even.

Mark

A small update - planking is done & sanded smooth from the waist to the level of the lower wales. The blanks for the dummy cannon barrels of the lower gun deck were glued in place & painted flat black,along with painting the inside of the gunports red. This is a single planked hull,so I needed to get it nice & smooth. Below the lower  wale I am going to double plank the hull with some cherry veneer(I hope). The planking on the upper part of the hull is 2mm thick,so I`m using some 1.5mm thick lime to do the first layer of planking below the wale,which after adding the second planking should come out very close to the same thickness as the upper planking. Any slight variation will not be noticeable due to the wale separating the upper & lower halves of the hull. I`ve never tried using veneer for planking,so if it doesn`t seem to be working ok I can always sand it down & use some of the usual .5mm thick strips.

DSCF0001.JPG.d3c39b3638553649eb10ba881a3d2e01.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.81068f93dcc54d926ba4216bbaf8762b.JPG

Mark

One of these days my planking deck and hull will hopefully look as excellent as yours :imNotWorthy: 

Well maybe not :( - Mark superb work

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks Michael:D. As you can see,the planking on the upper half of the hull is something called ramin:huh:(maybe another term for basswood?) & has very inconsistent color & grain. I intend to paint the upper part with black & yellow ochre as shown in the pictures in my first post,so it doesn`t really matter.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - another update. The first planking is now done below the level of the lower wale. I used 1.5 by 6mm strips of limewood for this. Now i`ve got a lot of sanding to do - may need to add a little filler at the bow area to some low spots.

DSCF0001.JPG.e8abd014ed9b798219bbea1724a7835d.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.c22524992827f07bc493551db852b1cd.JPG

Mark

Hi Zapto - the planks were thinned at the front using a small plane & sandpaper. Then they were edge bent after soaking in water for about 15 minutes. The limewood is pretty soft,so it was not too difficult to bend. The dark brown planks will be covered by the wales - I put them there so I would know where to attach the wales.

5aaaeeae5fedb_DSCF0001(2).JPG.74137e3afb2b05b71e9243e69c4f5d32.JPG

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Beautiful planking job Mark, on such a curvy girl, ships being she's and all...

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Peter - the easy part is done. The hard part is trying to get the second planking right. Right now I am trying to line off the hull,but have 2 problems. 1 - I can`t find any narrow tape that will stick to the hull. 2 - this is a really bluff bow,so no matter how I lay the tape it just doesn`t look right. I might just end up drawing lines on the hull with a pencil instead of tape.

Mark

Hi there, Mark! I'll join the expectators on your build. Great work, so far. Neat first planking. It seems you've got a nice ship to work on. 

Edited by Vivian Galad

Just a little update on my experiment to use cherry veneer. The transom was planked first leaving a gap for the rudder post. The lower hull planking was then started. This veneer has to be spiled around the bow - there`s no edge bending this stuff! With the scale of this ship at 1:46,I am cutting the planks from the veneer sheet at 7mm wide,tapered down to 4mm where it`s spiled at the bow. The veneer is a bit fiddly to work with but so far,so good. This is gonna take a while...............................

DSCF0002.JPG.82c9fddb84c21293680aa9c39908ad99.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.58f63f9f9e39b5e1d5380eab89767c73.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG.f7a11707fd606ec8cd227933d6aba047.JPG

Mark

Magnificent planking Mark!  I bet the planking will take a while, but the results will be well worth it if you take your time. How thin is the veneer?

Interesting looking at the stern of this ship.  Her stern is kinda close to my La Renommee which you commented on earlier today, though a more pronounced square tuck stern.  The tear drop at the bottom is quite nice.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 17 March 2018 at 3:31 PM, marktiedens said:

Thanks Peter - the easy part is done. The hard part is trying to get the second planking right. Right now I am trying to line off the hull,but have 2 problems. 1 - I can`t find any narrow tape that will stick to the hull. 2 - this is a really bluff bow,so no matter how I lay the tape it just doesn`t look right. I might just end up drawing lines on the hull with a pencil instead of tape.

Mark

Mark - I have been taking a sabbatical leave from shipbuilding due to house shifting but keeping an eye on your great work nevertheless. Very narrow tape can be obtained from auto supply places - the tape is used widely in auto spray shops where fine separation of paint edges is required. It has a very strong adhesive on one side. Might provide the solution.

Pete

Mike - the veneer is .019" thick.

Pete - never thought of that:huh:,although I don`t think I will need the tape now. What I would like is to find some wide(2 inches or more) low tack tape to help with the spiling - all the art & craft stores in my area only have the one inch wide tape.

Mark

Mark,

Especially ice as usual - Veneer - great idea. Yes it is rather fiddly, and you are trying to bend yours into shape? 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

spendid planking job Mark !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Excellent work MarkB)Tamiya do masking tape up to 40mm wide I think and is low tack.Dampening the veneer can also help to reduce splitting when cutting.Just make sure it is bone dry before gluing.Only thing you can't use both as the tape won't stick:DI have found life easier to roughly cut the spiled plank oversize,then trimming the edge that butts the fitted plank first.This can then be held to the hull with tape to mark the second edge.Cut slightly oversize then shape with a sanding stick.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline