Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Not a lot of progress,but I have managed to get the guns on the quarterdeck installed. I hate rigging guns - I would rather do ratlines😉. The tackle ropes were simply glued to the deck,the ends were cut off,& rope coils were then glued to the deck on top of the rope ends. I did not do the inhauls.

DSCF0001.JPG.9c8db6c5389c44c0d37f292ca36feaed.JPG

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Thanks guys - much appreciated😊. I forgot to mention that the cannon trunnion caps on the middle gun deck guns were made from some 2mm wide copper strip I had & the caps for the quarterdeck guns were some small cast ones I had in my stash. The kit provides some 3mm brass strips to make the caps,but they are too wide.  The carriage sides are 2.5mm thick🤨.

Mark

Hi - finished up a couple more sub-assemblies today. The pumps were made using the kit parts - the pump bodies are wood with the brackets & handles metal,so they were painted red. There were no holes for the handle pivots,so I drilled them & used a small pin. A blackened eyebolt was used for the plunger rod.  The capstan body is wood,with the whelps made from the supplied strip stock & also painted red. The ship`s wheel was made of bronzed metal & the brackets were plain white metal,so it was also painted red except for the wheel which I left as it was. The supplied axle for the wheel was way too small,so I used some larger diameter brass rod from my stash - still a little small for the holes in the brackets,but fit the wheel & drum good.  The capstan bar holes were drilled using a square drill bit(just kidding - they were made with a regular drill & squared off with a small file):P. The black bands on the pumps & capstan were made from black card stock. Still need to do a little paint touch-up.

DSCF0001.JPG.febe1dec4eaf77b317f65e23919c8582.JPG

Mark

Very nice work mark.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

All the sub-assemblies I`ve been building are now in place on the decks :D - ship`s wheel,capstan,all the pinrails for the masts,poop railings,ship`s bell,etc.,etc. I re-did the knee on the poop deck where the flagstaff goes - it was not shown in the instructions,but was shown on the plans. The problem was the parts in the kit did not match the plans & didn`t fit:angry: - the finished stern is almost 10mm higher than the plans show! They showed the flagstaff wedged between the knee & the stern face - a very unlikely situation. I made a second knee & made a spacer & cap so the flagstaff would fit neatly between the two knees. 

512968243_DSCF0001(2).JPG.788eb29461d1ad22c02c5abcf59bdd51.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG.4227b2dd1f054c0aa8a2490116fe16e7.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.9c969016d38e5cda5490e8c445f79a3b.JPGDSCF0003.JPG.8308291a23f3f5d1111be31a624fbe6f.JPGDSCF0004.JPG.2541f509dfd0c00b4f5b920aa53112f7.JPGDSCF0005.JPG.9c7bb5a3739299fe4e757af94e4aa195.JPGDSCF0006.JPG.b7bbe2a41fd6f9d603699163ea3966b5.JPG

Just a few misc. eyebolts & cleats to add.

Mark

Thanks Frank!  The red I am using is a Vallejo game color paint called "gory red". It`s a pure red that I think is supposed to look like blood. The sci-fi people seem to like it for painting "blood" on figures.  The middle picture looking toward the forecastle from the left side is very close to what it looks like in person. It looks a little brighter in some pictures due to the bright "daylight" bulb I`m using to light the ship for photos. I try to always use a daylight bulb for pictures - a normal soft white bulb gives everything a yellowish tint.  Most other reds I have tried seem to have a slight pink or orange tint to them or they are just too bright.  This paint looks a bit bright when wet,but it darkens as it dries to a really nice color - very close to red ochre.

Mark

She's looking great!!! Lovely detail!

Did you have enough of the 2x5mm white wood strips called "gun port lining"?

Instructions say I should have 56 of them left but I only have like 30...

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the red color information.

My Reale de France will have a substantial amount of red in the build, and I want to try a few samples of different shades to see which one would work best. I like the look of your red, if, as you say, the photo lighting is correct.

Thanks again,

Frank

puckotred - I don`t know why they call those strips gun port linings. The instructions don`t actually show any gun port linings:huh:,although I did add linings for the bottom row of gun ports - the ones with lids.  I didn`t count how many of those strips I had before starting the build,but as of right now I still have 15 strips left.  Most of those strips seem to be for the upper hull planking & other small things like the belaying pin rails & inner bulwark planking.

Mark

I guess they call them that because they go around the gunports 😁

Edit:

Just found the missing strips... They had rolled behind the cupboard where I stack the boxes... 🙄

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - took a little break while trying to figure out how to make the deadeye strops(not included in the kit). After trying numerous ways,I ended up bending some 20 gauge black copper wire around a drill bit that closely matched the size of the groove in the deadeyes,then inserted the deadeyes,soldered the legs together,& drilled a hole for the chain. The links for the chainplates are not provided either:(,so rather than try to make all the links I used actual chain  - found the chain at the local Michaels store which came on a large spool. The  deadeyes are only provided in 4 & 5mm sizes which are a bit small for this scale:huh:.  I didn`t want to buy a whole new set of larger deadeyes,so I just used what was in the kit.  Then I cut the lower mast sections to the correct length so I could get the angles of the chainplates  - another problem - the overall length of the main lower mast including below deck level where it seats in the keel is 490mm according to the plans but all the supplied dowels are only 450mm:angry:. Looks like they just cut the dowels to fit in the box,ignoring the plans. I had one long enough in my stash,so I used it. Only about 60 more strops to make:o.   Also,I managed to make all the gunport lids - another issue - the inner parts of the lids are 14mm & the outer parts are 16mm. the gunports are 14mm :huh:.so I used the inner parts for the outside & cut the outside parts down to 12mm & used them for the inside of the lids. Lid hinges are not provided,either,so I salvaged some leftovers I had - a little short,but they are difficult to see after the lids are in place( also didn`t want to spend more for a whole set of hinges). 

DSCF0006.JPG.4b2d4f66f73c845f5f9bb4f54d8c5313.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.1c6c55884fe6f72b59b554d792cb6599.JPG

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Missed you 😊

Wow! That's some extra work you undertook with the strops and chainplates... And it looks fantastic!

I'm planking the hull now, but it's slow. The dark wood is so stiff I'm struggling with the bow even with a plank bender...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Thanks Mr.Pucko:). Yes,those strips provided for hull planking are pretty stiff.  The few I used had to be shaped while wet & with a lot of heat - after drying they are near impossible to bend without snapping. More than half of mine were warped  - they make good kindling,though:P.

Mark

Thanks Frank1   Most of their chain is either too large or too shiny - what I found looks like dull steel & is about the right size. There is 11 yards(10 meters) on the spool - more than I`ll ever use.   Yes,this build has been a little frustrating at times - more than once I have thought about giving it a Viking funeral,but I`m too far along to do that now:).

DSCF0001.JPG.860bb32a3d4181fdd8124324a647dfb0.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.3ae8f47181b0236128daa67df5628098.JPG

Mark

Mark,

Just catching up - as always a pleasure following your excellent work. 

PS: Your shot framing is so well done!

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful!

(lot's of things happening here in the neighborhood so my building has slowed down...) Hope I can get mine half as good 

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL