Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Ah 😟, My issues are also with my mother... Although she's "only" 82 I had to get her to a resting home since she had some sort of a breakdown. (hearing and seeing things) One is never prepared even though you know they are old...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - a little more progress.  After finishing up the chainplates,I got to work on the hammock cranes. The kit did not provide them as ready made pieces,so I had to make them from the brass wire provided. They were made by bending with some round & needle nose pliers. Then a hole was drilled in the center for the mounting pins - that was fun trying to drill a hole in a .8mm wire! They were then painted flat black & mounted according to the plans. Finally,some Syren rope was added. They are pretty fragile,so I hope I don`t knock them askew while rigging. Finally, the mounts for the falconets were glued in place - they were provided as photo-etched pieces which I had to bend into shape.The falconets won`t be added until later - the rigging tends to snag them & knock them loose.

DSCF0001.JPG.b46edab4d60c4af946238e53095232f4.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.8fd53b9b35d05ce6c6a1c9ea7638c733.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.8863243b53db906e77111c8a50537b03.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.bf37c5e33d201b36ee140d47ba1f78b9.JPG

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

She's turning into a superb build. I don't remember if you mentioned this either way -- do you intend to add sails or just standing rigging?

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Frank - I just filed a small flat spot on the wire & drilled with a very small bit(Nr. 74). Needless to say, I ruined 4 of them when the bit went off center. They are pretty fragile even after being glued down,so I need to be careful when handling the ship:). No netting or hammocks will be added - I`m not even sure if the hammock cranes were used on Spanish ships. Just a little disappointed they didn`t have them as PE  - it would have been very little trouble & almost no extra cost to add them to the sheet of PE that was in the kit.

Mark  

Great work  and the colors look fantastic.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Thanks O.C. - I also like the colors on your Warspite:D.

Mark

Thanks mark.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi - the next order of business is the stern lantern & anchors. The lantern is provided in machined brass for the top & bottom,PE for the windows,& a couple of laser cut wood pieces for spacers. The assembly was pretty straight forward - after bending the window section into six sides the parts were just glued one on top of the other. It was then painted yellow ochre  &  the windows were filled with micro kristal klear window maker. Clear acetate was provided for the "glass", but it was near impossible to glue inside the framework without smears.

Next came the anchors - the stocks were shaped from a piece of 6x6mm strip from the kit & a groove was cut around them to indicate 2 pieces. they were then stained with a walnut stain & the bindings were done with black heat shrink tubing. The rings were wrapped with black thread. One anchor is slightly shorter - while drilling the holes larger for the rings I broke the top off of one of them:(,so I drilled a new hole slightly below the original one. Then I had to file off the square base where the stock sits against & made a new base from some 5x5 walnut:). The anchors & lantern will be fitted later after most of the rigging is done.

That pretty much finishes up the hull - now on to the masts!DSCF0001.JPG.b146377443ed02aeb1f8f1e6f913a25e.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.3f7f78be54c16b42642c5886574e8823.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.df3ac58a2e075e23d7966d7036560112.JPG

Mark

Update - the bowsprit is now done.  The kit supplied dowels were tapered using a small plane & lots of sanding,then a walnut stain was applied. A flat spot was filed for the knee holding the flagstaff & was glued in place.  A couple of spacers were made for the jib boom & some "iron" straps made from black card - the kit showed the straps made from brass strip,but I couldn`t get them bent just right ,so I just used the black paper.  The forward area was painted black according to the construction photos - I would normally not paint this area,but the plywood knee looked awful & I didn`t feel like making a new one. Rope wooldings were then added using black .5mm thread.  Just one odd thing - the stem has 2 gammoning holes,but the construction  pictures only show one rope:huh:,so I added a second set of cleats to the bowsprit & will use 2 ropes.  I thought about opening up the slots in the stem,but it would have made for a slot 14mm long - too long for just one rope.  All rigging blocks will be added later after all masts are built.

DSCF0001.JPG.f87543e01807bd460e166789773365e1.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.949f815d650c60d4cdd8fc3e814117c9.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.1186070f367c32144b2c4a6aa487cfd1.JPG

Mark

Hi everyone - after making all the parts of the mizzen mast I thought I would look through the rigging plans.....  Maybe I should have looked at them sooner - they are so small I am having a hard time figuring out which line goes where:angry:.  I am really close to putting in some 6 inch stub masts & calling it done!!!:angry::angry::angry:.  Some of the lines obviously go to wrong places & there are some blocks on the deck that are shown on the belaying plan,but there are no lines going to them:huh:.    Very frustrated at the moment!!! 

Mark

Well, we could try and figure it out together since I also have the plans.... 

Tell me what lines etc you are working with and I'll see if my tired brain could be of any help...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

ok - here we go.  The mast plans show 2 sheaves at the bottom of each topmast. 

DSCF0004.JPG.b010d59a8370ce296602be401764b826.JPG

The rigging plans seem to show ropes through the sheaves -

DSCF0005.JPG.7338ca6a7e9770365722a4dd8c745f04.JPG

After looking through the rigging plans again,I think they may be for the top ropes(lifting ropes). What do you think?

DSCF0007.JPG.49be500049e885f384bbe73fe3a80c08.JPG

Here`s another - the plans show 2 cleats & 4 double blocks on the deck next to the grating on the quarter deck,but they are not shown on the belaying plan.

DSCF0002.JPG.f78bd6c8ab4a0d595cf903f5c6a46770.JPG

One more - the plans also show 4 blocks around the foremast,but the belaying plan doesn`t show any lines going to them.

DSCF0003.JPG.42d347070f200528f33cfa37b9d86c84.JPG

Also,the rigging plans show the mizzen topmast stay going down to 406 on the deck,but the belaying plan shows it belayed to the pinrail in FRONT of the mainmast instead of behind it - this can`t be right.

DSCF0006.JPG.9002ed195ac5fdc3aa353ea2cb44c890.JPG

1006780549_DSCF0001(2).JPG.01c89e67324dc0e76e97686b87165582.JPG

On the above picture front is to the left. Any opinions are most welcome!

Mark

Last first:

Line 406 should go to one of the 431 belaying points.

lifting ropes:

On page E in the booklet the lifting ropes (410-416) go straight down to the blocks behind the mainmast (i hope it is the main mast) so these blocks will be belaying points 410-416 and 411-413...

IMG_1719.jpg.8c259c8fef8ee531edfde42d6d7cfa06.jpg

Line 414 should be belayed to block closest to deck.

The same should work for the fore mast. The cleats I do not know why they are there (yet)...

Hope you understand me...

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

I agree with the location of line 406 - makes much more sense. I understand what you are saying about the other lines. Its just that 410,413,416 are not shown on the belaying plan - most likely are the blocks behind the fore & main masts.   It also doesn`t help that all the descriptions in the rigging plans are only in Spanish. I did find a conversion of nautical terms from Spanish to English,but half of the terms in the plans were not listed in the conversion chart:(.  Thanks for the help Mr Pucko - much appreciated.  Now,if we can just figure out what those 2 cleats are for.............

Mark 

Or is 411 the lifting ropes for the topmast??? And 410-416 for the main spar? I have to check this again tomorrow, now is bedtime...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Looks to me like they mis-marked 411. page E shows it for both the mizzen & fore or main masts. I think 411 is only for the mizzen. The "other" 411 should have a different number - maybe one of the numbers that are missing from the belaying plan.  Just wish I knew Spanish - the lines are described at the bottom of the page in Spanish only. I`m pretty sure 411 is the lifting rope for the mizzen topmast.

Now I am thinking that with 2 sheaves in the topmast,there should be 2 lifting ropes???

Mark

I worked on the "Gotheborg" and lowered all the top masts but was up in the masts and not on deck so I missed where the belaying points where...

Can't remember if there was one or two lines on the lift, but since there are two sheaves it seems logic that there would be two ropes as well...

Could 411 be for the foremast and 413 be for the main mast? 410 and 416 for fore and main yard? 416 is described as "Driza verga mayor". Spanish "Driza" is Halliard so it would go to the yard...  "main yard halliard"

Found this pic that shows the blocks for the lift. 

IMG_1720.jpg.6507035565722a5e4eddc671f81b9907.jpg

Edited by puckotred
spelling

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Mark,

I feel your pain :default_wallbash:  your rigging dilemmas reminds me of the one I just finished. As they say. "it all works out in the end" ....

PS: The running rigging is even more fun - but as a veteran builder I assume that you have been there before.

Cheers.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Yes,I was in a bad mood when I was looking through the rigging diagrams(my power was off for several hours). Slowly figuring it out. It`s just that the diagrams are really small & hard to pick out the details.  That seems a little odd since the plans for the hull & masts are full size:wacko:.  They could have made them larger for no more cost than larger sheets of paper.

Mark