Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi - a little update. Mizzen lower ratlines done.  Fore & main lower ratlines half done(seems to take forever).  I am using just regular sewing thread for them,a bit fiddly to work with,though.     Hard to get them to "hang"just right.  The thread is a little fuzzy,but not noticeable at normal viewing distance.  I am coating them with diluted white glue,which lays down a lot of the fuzz.  I didn`t want them too white,so a medium brown thread was used.

DSCF0001.JPG.6adcf6fd5aeb4c16a5bf38ec867499e8.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.0b69933d2d281bfff64e0cd3bc57f4ff.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG.d43a0fc5d64aa9950e657c04de4002e4.JPG

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Just catching up - nice as always - your bow area mast/riggings are so well done :imNotWorthy:

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Update - all lower shrouds done:Whew: As I continue with the topmast shroud ratlines,I am wondering if the topgallant shrouds should have ratlines.  The plans show ratlines on the topgallant shrouds,but almost every ship I`ve seen do not have ratlines on the topgallant shrouds.  Any opinions are welcome!

DSCF0001.JPG.d29e61ad59dc766095a0a7f902378e27.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.09a464b9466974d3d3120f6cbf6a28dc.JPGDSCF0003.JPG.98fa06d056eed3e925043a624d29443a.JPG

Mark

Thanks Frank - I am leaning toward not ratting the topgallant shrouds.  If you look closely,there are some shiny areas on the shroud ropes(crappy kit rope)so I am dulling down the shrouds with diluted white glue along with trying to form the ratlines a little smoother - a little difficult with this fuzzy thread.  My next ship will get Syren rope!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Great job so far Mark. These 3 masted ships with all their rigging are not for the faint of heart. The nice thing about this stage of the build is that it's easy to see some progress each day. But whatever you do, don't try to envision the whole stage...

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks Peter & dragzz:). If I remember right, this is the 18th 3 master I`ve done - all of them different,most probably incorrectly,due to a lack of knowledge & poor plans.  I wish this forum was around back when I did most of them.

Mark

Eighteen! Wow, that's incredible. I hope you don't run out of models you want to build. Your build logs are great learning tools for the rest of us.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Mark,

As Peter just said - your logs are indeed great to follow. So 18 builds !! - hmmm, I'm only my third and already the Admiral is asking me where

I plan on putting my current small build - as there is certainly no more space in our home haha

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

WOW!!!

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

Crikey  - Thats an Armada   - what a Superb collection   not to mention all those thousands of hours building them  - amazing.:omg:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Frank - I occasionally put the reverse attachment on my vacuum & blow them clean.  I don`t have any pets,so no worries there.

O.C. - yes, it is a real forest of masts & yards.

There are 12 ships on that table,3 more in my living room,& 1 more in one of my bedrooms!  I have given a few away & it looks like I need to get rid of a few more:D.  I`ve been thinking of giving some of the older,not-so-nice ones a proper funeral after stripping off some of the reusable fittings.

If you are wondering about the Admiral,there is none.  I have been single since 1980,so what better to occupy my time!

Mark 

Edited by marktiedens