I recently moved to Delray Beach Florida from NJ. 

I was a member of the Ship Model Society of New Jersey. It seems that here in Palm Beach County there are no ship modeling clubs. What I’d like to do is once a month get together Informally for lunch or breakfast at a local restaurant with anyone who is interested in ship modeling with the possibility of starting a ship model club here in Palm Beach County. 

If anyone is interested they can contact me by phone, email or the old fashioned snail mail. 

My name and address is:

Barry Rudd

14864 Enclave Lakes Drive 

Florida 33484

Tel: 561-865-7511

Email: metrolimo@gmail.com   

Best regards

Barry

Barry!!!!!!!  :D

Wish you were still in Jersey my friend.  I hope you can get a bunch of guys together down there.  If you are in Barry's neighborhood,  please do try and get together.  Being in a club with Barry was a great experience.  I understand why he misses it.  Give my best to the Mrs.

Chuck

Hi Barry,

I'm interested in getting together with like-minded ship builders, but I live 100 miles north of you in Sebastian. That may present a problem.

Please keep me informed of any activity by e-mail.  tktres@gmail.com

Pythagoras (Tom)

I am just beginning my ship building journey and would not mind meeting up with a few like minded folks every once in a while. Let me know when and where.

Also 40 yrs ex-New Jersey.

Best Regards

Posted (edited)

What ever happened here? Lets do lunch as they say. Any Saturday breakfast or lunch is good with me or even just coffee and a doughnut. The first ever meeting of the "South Florida Model Ship Builders Society". Who's in?

Edited by Osmosis

Posted (edited)

OK Bill that makes two who else is in. How about meeting up next Saturday morning for a cup of coffee. I am in Pompano near 95 so where is there a dunkin doughnuts or breakfast type place somewhere in between?

Edited by Osmosis

Art-

A quick look at the map and it seems that half-way would be around Glades and Military.  Nearby is the Corner Baker Cafe 2240 NW 19th St 33431 in Boca.  I know nothing about it but Google it and tell me what you think.  Or suggest another place. Next Saturday AM I'm free.

Bill Schmidt

Posted (edited)

How about Too Jays on the corner of Jog and Yamato say about 9:00 on Saturday? Tom I know it is a hike for you but it wiuld be great to see you. In any case scout out a good location and maybe we can do the next one up your way.

Edited by Osmosis

OK, Bob is in that makes three. Anyone else? The more the merrier as they say.

Note to Admins:

Would it be possible to create a database of members that could be sorted by various criteria ie. Country, State, Club affiliation or maybe a geographic club database the same way with contact info? It would certainly make it easier for MSW members (new and old) to reach out to others in their local area.  Or does one already exist and I just cant find it?

Unfortunately....the vast majority of internet users frown upon having their contact info gathered and displayed and for privacy reasons it is not something we can do.  Its a good thing.  Can you imagine what the list of MSW members is worth to big box stores and MFGs in this hobby.  Many have asked to buy it or gain access over the years and it is not something we intend on ever releasing......I can only imagine how the spammers would come out of the woodwork.

In addition, we have had other members frivolously contact hundreds of our members unsolicited by PM or email in the past to sell them something or to gather something.  Again this is seriously frowned upon.  Its one of the reasons why email addresses are not published any longer.

Once the NRG board eventually comes to a decision about the clubs/groups feature I announced over one year ago on MSW it will be surprisingly easier for members to form geographic regional clubs.   You might want to nudge them a little.....;)  They could literally be up and running in just a couple of weeks once they greenlight it.  Its kind of been yellow-lighted for a while now.

As an aside....for the brief time I had the test club post for my local New Jersey club we gained two new members locally.  I urge many of you to contact these directors below via PM to get this started a s a p.

kurtvd19

tomshipmodel

and tlevine

Chuck

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the quick response Chuck. Totally understandable in light of today's technology and the rampant abuse of it. Just to clarify when I said contact info I did not mean individual member information but rather contact information for the club itself. Something similar to what the AMYA has to make it easier to locate a local club.

Best Regards

Edited by Osmosis

Chuck,

Didn't we once have a pinned post for listing clubs?   My memory is a bit gray on this.

I'm not going to be able to meet with you folks tomorrow morning.  A health issue has come up which needs to be taken care of.  Let me know if another meeting gets planned.  Best of luck!

Bill Schmidt

The first meeting of the "South Florida Model Ship Builders Society" is in the books. Topics discussed included but not limited to: The current state of the hobby, Golf, The gorgeous weather here, The crappy weather up north and lots of other stuff. All in all a nice breakfast and a morning well spent in my opinion.

We will try to schedule another get together next month hopefully we can get a few more attendees next time. If anyone wants to attend or has a recommendation for location let us know via this thread.

Bob it was a pleasure meeting you and lets do it again next month.

Best regards

While I no longer live in South Fl, Moved to N Fl. a "active" ship model club is in need, from my experience  living is S Fl.

Respectfully

Ed

Hey guys,

Sorry I have not been updating this thread but I have been under the weather for a couple of weeks. Back at it now though. If anyone is interested in a meet up for breakfast or just a cup of Joe just reply here or message me.

Best Regards

I live in Delray Beach and have a model boat, a cutter, I think, that my father built many years ago. I got it maybe 10 years ago and have had it sitting in my office since. It is about 73" high and about 73" from the tip of the boom to the tip of the bow spirit. It has fallen into disrepair, the sails spotted and stained, paint peeling off the hull, fragile and broken lines. Is there anyone in the area who might be interested in repairing the boat? I would love to see it sail again.

Thanks,

Wink

That sounds like it would be way beyond my skill level but post a few pictures someone in the area my be up to the challenge.