King of the Mississippi by OldBritAbroad - Artesania Latina

I dont know what it is about this kit but it makes me want to build it again! I had some seriously good fun. And it looks like you are doing the same. It's looking real nice and sharp. Top work. I do like the doors to the boiler room. Thumbs up!:D

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I think the deliberate mistake was the left hand end panel as you look at it. Do I get my plane ride ?

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Sorry Mike, no prize for you 😭

If you look at the double room structure, to the right you’ll see that I unfortunately glued the rear wall in the wrong way round! D’oh! So the doors and ventilation grids don’t match across the deck. I decided not to bother trying to fix it - I’d probably only break something irreparably.

Bent some Sapele for the arched doorway tops - 5 minutes in hot water did it - so tomorrow’s job is glueing on the side planking for the main deck structures then (if time permits) fitting in the doorway linings etc before glueing in the doors, as I’ve decided my doors will be fixed closed - mainly because I don’t like the door hinges on the front structure; they remind me to much of a Vincent Price (ah, there was a thespian!) movie.

that's a small problem,  with little to no consequences ;)    did both structures line up with the slots in the deck platform?   both of mine are off.....the fore structure more than the aft structure.   then again,  the deck platform isn't cemented to the hull yet.

yea......I bit the bullet.....your having way too much fun here  ;)    it was too much for me....I had to join in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Where's your link popeye ?

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I'm doing something a bit different with the hull.   I had a devil of a time with the thin plywood side panels......the bow section didn't appear to be spilled correctly combined with my not faring the bow bulkheads completely.  I probably should post a log.......but there are quite a few logs on this model already.  I may post one though.  if it looks like a dog's body.......perhaps not.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi popeye, nice to know I’ve motivated you - must be the only time that’s been laid at my door!

Re the slots - not a problem as the turned-around piece is one of the side panels - no tabs to worry about. Even if it had been one of the tabbed pieces it wouldn’t matter as they are centrally located on the midship line.

Yes the thin ply is easily deformed - or cracked (I discovered I’d also cracked one of the 2nd deck structure sections, will need to fix that soon).

Currently putting on the structure planking on the main deck structures, I’ll finish that tomorrow and will post a couple of pics then.

Hugh

Edited by OldBritAbroad

OK so no pics yet - a couple of days wait while I repaint the front room.

Some unforced errors on my part I’ve noticed - one was the arched doors on the front main deck structure. I’d carefully aligned the pins etc for each set of doors, then managed to switch each part of the pairs when glueing them in, so the handles are now slightly misaligned. (Pic to follow). Also the sapele framing for the doorways came adrift from the main plywood somehow, leaving a noticeable gap.

Cant be fixed now, so will back the doors with some black paper to hide the gaps.

Also I’d decided to add the corner pieces before doing the side planking. Mistake. Do the planking then add the corner pieces - saves an awfully of tiny cutting that results!

Made the livestock feeding troughs, fairly straightforward though the side/end pieces should be 3*2 mm

Hugh

yes....you did Hugh.  not only that,  I have the wood table in the computer room,  and a plastic table I set up in the spare bedroom.  I've halted any plastic projects now,  to do this.  I'm still working on the beginnings for the time being......I'll do a log when I have a concept nailed down ;)   I've also been looking at Vossy's build,  even though it's a different manufacturer......the subject matter is still the same.   looking forward in seeing more pictures.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hugh,

Kit looks to be excellent quality. I've also just pulled up a chair. Will follow along as well. 

Regards, 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your voyage! Any comments and/or criticisms will be appreciated; as I’ve mentioned before, this is a voyage of discovery and learning (much of which to date consists of the old adage of measure twice, cut once! I’d also add, if it looks wrong it probably is!)

I managed to find a few hours this week tidying things up and building some odd pieces - the pics attached show my progress with the main deck structures, the feeding troughs and the livestock bar supports (bit of a pain to make; for future builders, cut the 1.5mm first, then the 5mm - both of which create the slot to hold the retaining bars, then bevel the lower edge. I did the last first and it made holding the piece very awkward, though I only lost one due to breakage in the end).

I’ve now planked all the main deck structures and they’re ready for finishing. The African Walnut will be given a clear satin varnish; the planking will be stained/varnished in a standard light oak.

The 0.5mm planking, I’ve noticed, tends to fray across the edges at the top and bottom so, depending on final fit, I may need to add a finishing strip to hide those poor edges.

One final thing to add, which you’ll see in the 2nd pic below, is that I managed to get the tabs in the structures to fit in the slots without any repositioning. I have to say this took a little force (and trepidation on my part!) but they did fit, though I’ve noticed the front section of the front structure is now very slightly bowed out.

You can also see in the 1st pic where the door handles don’t line up correctly - they’re about 0.5mm off from each other. Would have been perfect if I’d kept the door pairs together lol. Also not too happy with the Sapele trim on the top of the front structure doors (which I’d cut in half lengthwise as the suggested measurement seemed too heavy) - it doesn’t match the curve on the doors, but too late to do anything with it now.

Next job is to finish the Sapele straight door surrounds on the rear structure (I’m two-thirds done), glue in the doors, final sanding to shape then put aside whilst I plank the hull.

Hugh

1D2711F4-52FC-41B9-966C-B72BE4775AD9.jpeg

7D6AA3F3-7EF3-4853-BCCD-636610CDD586.jpeg

E906E739-5BB6-4898-ADD0-D252D622CE10.jpeg

BBF60385-E2E8-4946-876B-9658B1C987A4.jpeg

Edited by OldBritAbroad

funny....I looked for those pieces  :)    I know now that I have to make the cleats for the bars.   you may end up doing what I did for the structures......I cut the slots for them to fit.  did you dry fit the second level deck?   there will be issues there to,  if the structures are in the correct alignment.   what did you stain the deck with?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that's odd..........nothing I've done on my end.  the structures only assemble one way....and the only assembly done at this time.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A quick update, managed a couple of hours over the last few days - being retired sure is busy!

I’m planking the hull at the moment. As other builders have noted, the kit is short - by about 5 strips - of the walnut used, so I’ve got to order some more. I’ve done the sides (almost) so my plan is to finish that, then do as much of the bottom as I can, working from the sides inward. I’ll be using the cutout sheet of ply to gauge the bow-facing cuts for the strips nearest the sides; I’ll add a pic to show what I mean.

I’ve also glued on the livestock bar supports. I’m thinking adding the actual bars might be a challenge given the tightness of it all...

Lastly I’ve outlined the 2nd & 3rd decks for the parquet planking. What fun that will be!

Hugh

7B6A6B77-9AA1-47D9-BA40-B3AAF19E926B.jpeg

what angle did you draw your lines?  I'm thinking of doing it a bit differently......it will aide in my decision  ;)   looking good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hugh,

Just found your build log. Very nice work on the KotM. I built this kit a year or so ago and enjoyed it start to finish. Looks like you are at one of the most tedious parts of the build. I can honestly say that all the effort is very much worth it in the end.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways