I need to identify this fitting from a 26 ft sloop.  It's some sort of chock or fairlead.  The next question is does anybody make one of these fittings so I don't have to scratch a master and cast them?  Need some about 3/8" to 1/2" long.  I checked Bluejacket and Model Expo and some model yacht suppliers.  No go.

Any help would be appreciated - even if they were made by a defunct mfg as I inherited a load of old fittings from AJ Fisher, Baucher (sp), etc. - drawers full...if they made some I will search through the stuff I have.

Thanks,

Kurt

cleat - cockpit cap rail -small.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I believe that is a Panama Fairlead. Age of Sails has them. Check Fittings, Deck. I think they are on page three or four. You could also take a Closed fairlead, cut it at an angle.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks Jim.  I think the panama fairlead that AOS has is for a Panama Canal rated ship - it has a almost square profile while this chock is much lower profile.  I have thought that I will have to cut and modify a closed chock and make a mold to cast copies.  I have an inquiry in with the boats owner who's commissioned the model - I sketched and measured the fitting but I can't read my writing (unusual as I normally have very good lettering - but went cursive standing on a ladder in the boat shed). 

Thanks.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Found a full size fairlead that's close.  Looks like it's time to search through 40+ drawers of parts all in old manila 2" envelopes - I am sure I saw something close to this.

aluminium-fairleads--470.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Yep, it is a standard fitting on small sailing boats - the advantage over the closed type is that you can take the rope in and out without having to reeve it through a hole. Their are commonly used at both ends of a boat for mooring lines or also for anchor lines - in both cases you may not want to take the line of its belaying point when hauling in or paying out - in case it slips from your hands.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Nic:

Yeah, I did too.  Looks like it's time to make a master and then cast them.  I thought about bending/twisting them like you did and adding a bit of low temp solder to the ends and filing to get a master but I think starting from scratch will work better.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

https://www.woodenmodelshipkit.com/product/4930-open-panama-fairlead-10x8mm-2/?v=7516fd43adaa

Not sure of the size you need, but it shouldn't be hard to solder from brass...

Edited by Essayons

Current Builds:

1/200 Arizona (Trumpeter) using Eduard  PE with extras  FINISHED!!!

1/48 USS Oneida 1809 DLumberyard "kit"

The Panama Fairlead is not the fitting needed - wish it was.  It's almost square when viewed from the side and the part I need is very low profile from the side - full size they are only 5 1/2" long by about 1 1/2" to 2" high.  Two full sized Panama Fairlead's would sink the 26' sloop I am modeling.

I will be making up a master, then a mold and then cast, polish and plate the parts for the model.

Thanks to all who have commented and provided help.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt,

I have two of these straight fairleads.  They measure 12mm, made of white metal with an aged bronze plating or painting.   I believe they came with the Blue Jacket 1:30 Endeavour J boat, but they were packed with two pair of oar locks that were 6mm long.    

If it will help, I can send these to you to make a mold / copies

Also, check out this page at BlueJacket:   http://www.bluejacketinc.com/fittings/fittings17.htm 

Dee Dee

5a7134e02dfa8_FairleadsforK2G7A4234.thumb.jpg.9cd8b0f12909c59afd62d54267a3f051.jpg

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Dee Dee:

Thanks for the offer, but I have a bunch of these.  In fact I have just about decided to use them because after spending almost a full day machining 4 from brass I just am not happy that they look any better than this style.  I am just about convinced that the angle of the horns isn't going to be missed in the model.  I know that this isn't the first small sloop to be modeled and this style had to be used on those models as nobody sells anything much different.

Thanks again for the offer and thanks to all who have pitched in.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 6 months later...

I don't remember exactly but it was a temporary tie up when the photo was taken.  I wound up machining 4 for the model from brass.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

For the sake of trivia: Panama Leads are fully enclosed fairleads found on large modern oceangoing ships. They are an oval ring the dockline passes through, closed at the top. When ships enter the Panama locks and the water level drops, the ships are now well below the level at which they entered. The  docklines that were once leading over the fairleads and DOWN to the edge of the locks now lead UP to the edge of the locks. The closed oval prevents the docklines from lifting up and out of position.

Niagara USS Constitution