Hr. Ms. Java 1925 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Cross Roads - 1:350 - PLASTIC - Light Cruiser of Royal Netherlands Navy as she was in 1942

wow!  nice progress Piet  :)   look'in mighty fine!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis and Carl for dropping in and your kind words.

Not quite close for her maiden voyage Carl. I think that the biggest challenge is still ahead of me, the diorama frame and sea. I bought a piece of molding today for the base sides and to retain the sea material. I have a 1/2 inch thick panel from an old cabinet that'll serve as the base. I think I'll make it 24 X 8 inches, that'll give the ship ample room. I plan to place her in a somewhat diagonal position allowing me to add two missed shell bursts in the areas of more sea space. 

Wish me luck with it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

3 hours ago, Piet said:

Thanks Denis and Carl for dropping in and your kind words.

Not quite close for her maiden voyage Carl. I think that the biggest challenge is still ahead of me, the diorama frame and sea. I bought a piece of molding today for the base sides and to retain the sea material. I have a 1/2 inch thick panel from an old cabinet that'll serve as the base. I think I'll make it 24 X 8 inches, that'll give the ship ample room. I plan to place her in a somewhat diagonal position allowing me to add two missed shell bursts in the areas of more sea space. 

Wish me luck with it.

Cheers,

It sounds like you have been looking at an other diorama here at MSW! It sounds interesting, I do wish you luck, although I think you hardly need it with your prowess'

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks Carl for your faith inn my "prowess." Actually due to the added lower half of the hull will make this a little more - - ummm, challenging. Normally the sea part is about 1/4 or so inch thick but in my case it's a half inch from the keel to the waterline. My plan is to use a smidg'n over 1/4 inch of white caulking compound first, then lay the ship in it and let it cure. Then follow up with an epoxy fake water with a blue dye mixed in it to form the sea. It is supposed to allow time for some modeling but needs to be followed with another two part epoxy to model the waves.

In any case it'll be an experience and keep my fingers crossed.  Boris has send me a bunch of pics and URL's of dioramas. All look very good. There are plenty on the internet too. Yeah, I read that article in the NRG. That would not work for me because I need an opaque sea due to the lower hull.

Cheers,.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

It all depends on shape, square will be hard to place, but rectangle wouldn't be much bigger than the ground plates of your ships, Greg

Edited by cog

Carl

Piet,

Kudos impressive :cheers:  added touches give it pop. I would go blind working at that scale

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

21 hours ago, RGL said:

But you can’t see the bottom! 

bottoms up !!

20 hours ago, John Allen said:

Piet,

Kudos impressive :cheers:  added touches give it pop. I would go blind working at that scale

He nearly is since he started making tiny dioramas, does it all by touch ;) (pullin' yer leg) He does a tremendous job on it. I did the O16 he has done, and know a bit what he's up against, I am in awe at what he presents right now

Edited by cog

Carl

Hey Greg, good seeing you here. I was not aware that Face Book shows dioramas. I don't do FB though, long story about that. Has to do with my work for the US Federal Government I was part of. Need to keep a low profile, even on this forum I have to be careful with what words I use. Some trigger a "blip" on "their" screen :o  However, I have found and saved quite a few dioramas from YouTube, all very interesting with good info in the how to's.

@ Carl: My proposed diorama size is 24 X 8 inches. Display space poses a minor problem but I'll figure something out.  True about your comment on my 1:2000 scale diorama of a New England shipyard with two topsail schooners in the stocks - inside a 60 watt light bulb. I don't know if that is hot-linked in my signature. I needed a seeing-eye dog to help me with it :P  Am currently working on a 1:3000 scale diorama of Young America or some sort of a clipper ship. I set it aside for the time being to work on the "Java" but will continue after it is done and simultaneous work on the VOC ship again.

Good to see you here again John Allen, thanks for your kind comment. Yep, that's why I have my trusty seeing-eye dog at my side. No, just kidding - I use 3X reading glasses that gives me ample magnification. A 1:350 scale is not all that bad, just the delicate PE has posed a few problems, mainly that I am not familiar with it. In retrospect, I will do certain things different in the future - if I do another kit with PE - to prevent these thin wires to misbehave.

I started my next post on "Java" yesterday evening and half way through it just magically disappeared. Now I have to start all over again, bummer. Especially in that it will be very personal to me.  So stay tuned.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone and thanks to those who came visiting and clicked the like button, it's much appreciated.

This is my second attempt placing a post. Last evening, in the middle of pounding away at the keyboard it just disappeared into cyberspace. No idea what and why.

This post is for days 59 and 60, which brings us to march 19.

On day 59 I cemented the previously assembled propeller guards to the aft hull.  I then cleaned the hull area from some excess cement and painted the propguards and the aft hull section. That was all I could do.

I changed my mind on the depth charge launching ramps so on day 60 I cemented them to the fantail. I omitted the guide railings the kit provided because i did not see them on several photos or on the drawings. However, I made two posts to cement next to the anchor cable guide and cemented a piece of PE wire to the posts and the end of the railing as shown on the drawings. I think that this arrangement works for me.

With your indulgence I would like to add the missing details of "Java's" sinking and the death of my father with the crew he served with. As I have mentioned before the aft section of the ship has special meaning to me because that's where my father's battle station was. For a long time I did not know this and how he may have died. All this came to light for me in stages, separated by many years in between bits of information.

I have attached a few pictures to help you in following me.

The first bit of information I received was at a lecture by a surviving naval officer fron "Java." That was sometime in 1954 when I served in the Royal Air Force when based at the airbase in Deelen, near Arnhem, Netherlands. This officer talked about the Battle in the Java Sea and the sinking of "Java" and Admiral Doorman's flagship "de Ruyrter." After his talk was done he opened it for questions. Obviously my hand went up too and when it was my turn I introduced myself by rank and name. He instantly became quite excited and asked me if I was related to Adjudant van Warmerdam. I responded in the affirmative and told him the I am his son.  He immediately adjourned the meeting and told me to come see him. He invited me to the Officer's mess at the base and we had a long chat. The main point in our conversation was how my father was killed. He informed me that the aft gun fall on him due to the explosion. and that part of the ship almost immediately broke off and sank.

Now at last I had confirmation of his death and no longer had to worry about the possibility of him having been a POW of the Japanese and died in a POW camp.

The next bit of information came to me from Kevin Denlay, an Australian diver who was part of the crew of the research vessel looking for the wrecks of the ships sunk in the battles against the Japanese Imperial Navy. I stumbled on his writings and posted photos doing some research on my computer. I contacted him and in the conversations we had via e-mail I learned that the stern section lays about 100 yards behind the main body of the wreck. The most aft 15 cm gun was at the edge of the forward section, laying askew and half way below deck level. After I told him what the surviving officer mentioned to me back in 1954 he had to agree that this gun, the #10 most aft gun, did indeed appear to have fallen down. The support pillar had collapsed down taking the gun with it due to the hull's structural failure caused by the explosion. 

These two bits of information confirms it for me with Kevin's agreement, that this was indeed my father's battle station and must have died instantly. Kevin also told me that the stern section deck was missing as if peeled off like the lid of a sardine can.  He also told me that a part of the hull between the aft side of the AA gun deck and the forward end of the stern section seem to be missing.  This too corroborates what the Dutch Naval officer told me and the eye witnesses of the US cruiser Houston. They heard two explosions, the second following the first by several seconds. Both these witnesses saw parts of the hull and bodies fly over 100 feet into the air. Kevin never found the #9 gun on subsequent dives.

Now that the wreck has been lifted from the sea floor I think that Kevin would not hesitate allowing me to show the photo of the #10 gun. I think it is too important a piece of evidence to miss.

As a trained accident investigator for the Federal Aviation Administration I had no problem piecing these things together to form a clear picture of the events. This information is not known to anyone, beside my immediate family, till now.

The Japanese long lance torpedo struck "Java" on the port side aft of the armor belt. This is the weakest area of the ship and the power of the explosion exceeded the structural integrity many fold over.  It was also where the aft ammunition area is. It was stocked with depth charges, 15 cm shells, cordite packs and the 40 mm ammo for the Bofors guns. It does not take a genius to figure out what devastating results an exploding torpedo has in that confined area. 

To be sure - I am at piece with this - knowing that my father and the crew of "Java" died an honorable death and should be remembered for their heroism in fighting a non winnable battle. When my father came home the day before this battle he and I had a man to man talk where he told me that he would most likely not come back. He also gave me certain orders that I had to affirm with a handshake. I am happy to say that I have been able to achieve all I promised him, in spite of many roadblocks thrown in my way. I am sure that he would be very pleased with my accomplishments in life.

Okay, here are a pictures with further explanations

20180319_130934.thumb.jpg.7ebc71dd491c39d3ced993bcc14c26b0.jpg

Propeller guards and depth charge ramps installed.

20180319_131006.thumb.jpg.c2f7d2f3331136894382fdea16125363.jpg

Closeup of propeller guard with the #10 gun. Compare this with Kevin Denlay's photo a few pics below.

20180319_130801.thumb.jpg.ff0244d5971d52d89d34d59c3ac91992.jpg

Stern section

4095201.thumb.jpg.7e80d019f88973f9e7b8c21289fe754d.jpg

A low res picture of "Java" being resupplied and fueled in Tantjong Priok, Batavia (now Jakarta). My father was on her when this photo was taken.

5ab856ff9a31e_B_Prop-guard-portholesJavaK.Denlaycopy.thumb.jpg.c543d417700ea487805ac5ffc0a64956.jpg

Part of the propeller guard. As can be seen that the deck is missing.

20180319_131638.thumb.jpg.4c761f86ede69f46c9ebf32c91f6f28f.jpg

A graphic illustration of my explanation.

20180316_130433.thumb.jpg.b42e0bd5883a49c048769549ed224800.jpg

A copy of my 1:50 scale drawings. The #10 gun support gave way due to the collapse of the support structure below it, caused by the explosion. The area below the stern deck holds the officer's quarters.

20180321_130341.thumb.jpg.86105e4ebffb19dc3fd0e5f337d36ce7.jpg

This is Kevin Denlay's photo of the #10 gun. This now is my father's grave marker, even though it is no longer on the sea floor.

20180324_114910.thumb.jpg.939a4506d02fdf230bde155ceda7023f.jpg

This is a copy from Jeffrey Cox's book "Rising Sun, Fallen Skies." Perth had make an immediate turn port to avoid De Ruyter. Houston witnessed both sinkings.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

This is beyond a powerful and moving narrative.  I want to hit "like" because of closure and your work on Java.... yet... I can't "like" it.  Maybe it's the word choice "like".   I do want to thank you for strength to share with us and I'm glad that you got your answers and have come to piece with those answers.  Very mixed emotions from all this I must admit... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Piet,  I "liked" your account only because of the effort you've made working through the loss of your father in combat. I salute your efforts to memorialize the bravery your father and his crew exhibited against such odds. I've been reading, Cox and the sources he cites in his book. The heroism of the men who slowed the Japanese juggernaut should never be forgotten.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I agree with Ken.......I'm impressed with how you put it all together.   the model is coming along nicely as well.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you Mark, Jan, Ken and Denis for your kind comments. Oh I understand that the like response does not mean you liked what happened but just to indicate that you read with understanding. I really appreciate your likes.  Actually what is bothering me emotionally much more is the time I was in Japanese concentration camps and then the Indonesian war for Independence after the war was with Japan was over. That is still very difficult talking about without choking up.

I am touched by your supportive reaction, that means a lot to me.

Okay, time to start putting the last few parts on the ship, checking for touch-ups and start with the diorama. See all of you on the next post.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone and thanks to all who clicked the like button.

I had a busy morning, trimming two hedges and a bunch of azaleas in the back yard. Then lunch and read my e-mail. Finally I managed to do something on the "Java" model.

Well, I finally caught up with the backlog and we are current - hurray for that.

The last two days I worked on the antennas. Rather then trying to make four round thingies to fasten the six wires to, as the instructions show,, I used slivers of bamboo.

Next came the wires. Any thread I have is much to thick, including very thin silk. I split 6 pieces into three strands but the problem with this is that it maintains the twist, no matter what I tried. Well, not everything, I should have used Gwen's iron to heat it up a little. However, with a slight pull it disappears. So, I made a jig and tapped two pairs of sewing pins into the wood, spaced so it gives me the right distance between the attaching points. Added the bridals and attaching cable. Looked good in the jig.

Now came attaching it to the PE beams, one on top of the rear mast and the other on top of the main mast. I actually needed three hands but somehow I managed to wrestle these flimsy assemblies to the beams. I tine spot of CA, holding the antenna between two hands and gently holding the attaching cable to the beam, at the right spot. Couldn't breath while holding it so as not to let it slip from the dedicated spot. An old mark's man trick.

This afternoon I started on adding the wires going down to that little house in front of the forward funnel. I have no idea where they are supposed to enter this little house but I used the bamboo sliver trick again. First I tied all six pieces of thread to it with a simple overhand knot, a dab of CA, let it cure and then cementing it to the forward side of that little house. That's about all I could to for this day.

Hopefully tomorrow, after I finish trimming the two hedges, I can cement the wires to the bridals. Another tedious job. 

With all the handling I accidentally brushed against the little flagpole with the decal flag and it popped off with the flag in two pieces. Now I have to make another flag for the "Java."  I think of getting some cigarette paper and either paint a flag or try my last decal on the paper, which could be tricky. In hind site I should have waited with cementing the flagpole with flag to the ship after it was in the diorama. Oh well, no one is perfect.

5abaf4dd4f956_20180326_202800(1).thumb.jpg.b8f81b87977f639e37dbfb7a1b7abceb.jpg

Part of the installation instructions.

20180322_135257.thumb.jpg.6c9681c68166d44b4aab077552e21fc5.jpg

The first antenna assembly in the jig being worked on. Here you can see what mentioned about the twist in the thread.

20180326_153812.thumb.jpg.672a46ba9b48f7529bc8f8c2f853919e.jpg

The last one completed.

20180326_171156.thumb.jpg.0696cbe76891b5bf949a65a276fcdda8.jpg

Here we see both antenna assemblies cemented to their attaching beams.

20180327_204242.thumb.jpg.be64edd9a7a39012b988ab738475ab17.jpg

Six wires are now attached to the little house. They'll be cemented to the same beam as the assemblies. Right now they are just draped for the picture taking. I did not separate the thread for this because I cannot put any tension on them  And yes, the flagpole will be straightened and the ship will be checked for any other damage and paint touch-up, including a new flag for the aft flagpole.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

On the thread "problem"with the twist, etc....  one way is paint the thread (in place on the jig) with 50/50 water and white glue. The other would be starch.  I don't envy your eyes and than holding your breath will doing all this.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark has a good idea there........I've never tried to split hairs ;)    I've uses thin wire from those little motors........the ones you get from toys and such.  the armature wire is very thin......almost as thin as a human hair.   nice progress........too bad about the flag :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Piet, I don't know how I missed this log but I found it now. You not only do a good job building but you also give us a lot of detail and the history of what you build. Always a pleasure!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks very much gentlemen for your kind comments and suggestions, I'll try to remember them for the future. Thanks also to all who clicked the like button.

Yeah, Dennis but I'll wait making a new one when the ship is securely in the sea, that way I won't accidentally brush against again.

Well, I have completed the model and am about to start with the diorama base. This will take a little while because it's all new to me.

For now I like to post a few pics as "Java" looks like as of today.

20180329_120140.thumb.jpg.ee4207cc67f160fdec0b03e96825f27b.jpg 

20180329_120208.thumb.jpg.89a054eff15145962a6e9bf6fa1be3ac.jpg

20180329_120254.thumb.jpg.73b9691c72c20f87f04c0c961e824755.jpg

20180329_120314.thumb.jpg.8d321dc584ae47f4e4d319ccad7ae5bf.jpg

20180329_120437.thumb.jpg.d1f9d10c0958b5e1fff9cad72fd9b38b.jpg

20180329_120513.thumb.jpg.e4cf440041ddaa49218c0afbf0da057c.jpg

20180329_120551.thumb.jpg.9b926a4181dbe2ad2a49dabf53175bca.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Beautiful work, Piet. She really had the lines for speed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

On 3/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, Piet said:

I have no idea where they are supposed to enter this little house

Piet

I think that this little house may have been the radio room or "Radio Shack." I agree though that it seems like the model has no door! Do your plans show one? Great work on rigging the antennas. 

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Piet great work you are doing   you really are bringing such a beautiful ship to life,   I know your farther would be proud of you and what you are doing.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood
spelling

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi PIet,

She is looking great. I like these pre-WWII cruisers very much.

I checked the original drawings fro that small house. The funny thing is: that little house is not on the original drawings :)

java_detail.jpg.14ca01379a705bc8852e618953276620.jpg

but.... it was there for sure:

Java_foto.jpg.9f84087785b6b96732b310386f128b75.jpg

It looks more of a wind-shield to me on this picture, and not a closed structure (you can see light through the porthole that is in it). So it has to be a 1934-refit change. During that refit, the masts were changed (shortened, and repositioned). At the same time the anti-aircraft guns were modernized, and a couple of sheltered fire-control positions were created (using steel screens). I guess this is one of those positions.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hi Piet

What a beautiful job you’re doing.  Of course, the emotions must be running high at times, but, like the others have said, it’s good that you’re at peace with your father’s fate.  Not so, with your time in the concentration camps; but some memories are hard to shake.

Thanks for sharing and I value your willingness to bring us into your world.

All the best and take care.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

awesome job Piet........she looks sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: