Hr. Ms. Java 1925 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Cross Roads - 1:350 - Light Cruiser of Roal Netherlands Navy as she was in 1942

4 hours ago, src said:

Outstanding Piet! I especially like that there is variation in the gun smoke. Too many times we try to make things exactly the same when there should be variation.

Well done.
Sam

Thanks for pointing that out Sam, the first to mention that "little" detail which makes it more interesting ... (Chaos is in small things?) Had another look at the finished diorama ... marvelous Piet...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank you all dropping in and your very kind comments.

I'll be calling the plexiglass place next week to find out what the cost will be for them to cut the pieces I need and the cement.

While I'm at it I'll also ask for the glass for the O19.  I hope it's not going to break the bank.

Gwen still not asking for Musi?

No Jan, Gwen says whenever you get around to it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hey Carl, thanks for dropping in.  Glass, plexiglass, perspex, lexan, all the same to me - when I can see through it - it is glass :P  Yeah, it's going to be plexiglass. It's lighter then silica kind of glass and easier too for a DIY. I also want to stay with the "as simple as possible" kinda case.  If I had the space in my house I would probably make a big case with real glass, tempered too.  But alas, I'll have to go the cheap and simple route.

Hi Lawrence, my pick for that large model would be tempered glass, provided you have the budget and room for it.  Bernadette is right, plexiglass may discolor in time if you don't protect it from UV light.  Lexan could be good alternative though. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The sea and the firing guns with the smoke are beautifully done (The ship also of course).

Great work Piet, very realistic. 

Respect :imNotWorthy:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Lawrence, Yep, tempered glass is heavy and pricey but any clear plastic will do okay.  For that large Victory model you'd need at least 1/4 inch.  Looking at your previous work on the display case you should have no problem making one with acrylic.

This year I'm rather strapped financially with a few very expensive bills, so for now I'll have to go the cheap way out.  Next week I'll order a 24 X 48 sheet of 1/8 inch acrylic with the cement for it.  I was hoping to be able to order the acrylic for the O19 at the same time but that'll run me over $150 and will have to hold off till hopefully next year.

Hallo Patrick uit Verrebroek, hartelijk dank voor de complimenten!  Thanks so much for your compliments.  Thanks for dropping in, your doing rather well with your GH build yourself.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Have a look on our friend ebay  for clear plastic sheets etc    there should be quite a bit to choose from.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC for the reminder. I never think about ebay even though I subscribe and get their daily mailings. Will take a gander tomorrow, if I find a moment of nothing else worthwhile to do :rolleyes:

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, 

You may have mentioned this somewhere in your build and if so I can't find it. 

What materials do you use to create water? 

What kind of paint do you use? 

Can you recommend any books, articles, website that give detailed instructions on how to do this?

(I have a book from SeaWatch Publ., Waterline Dioramas by Justin Camarata)

I want to practice making water for some of my future ships. 

Thanks. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marcus, yeah, I did mentioned it sometime ago but here are the products I used.  However, in retrospect I will use another material for the water.

For the sea water I used "Clear Polyester Casting Resin" by Castin' Ceaft, Environmental Technology Inc., 300 South Depot Rd.  Fields Landing, CA.  95537.  1-800-368-9323. mail@eti-usa.com and www.eti-usa.com

I think this is a great product when used by itself without the "water waves" stuff I used on top of it.  I also bough the blue coloring to go with it by the same company. Unfortunately HobbyLobby only had one kind of blue, which was a little too dark or perhaps I put too much into the batches.  It's also possible that I painted the "floor" of the sea with a blue acrylic artist paint.

The reason for mentioning about the wave making product is that it did not really wont to adhere well to the polyester sea material. It's okay as long you don't mess with it after it has cured.

I also needed a rather thick layer of the sea material and had to use two layers.  As I explained before, I cemented the bottom half of the ship model to the top, which increased the depth of the sea.

The wave making material is from "Woodland Scenics," which is used for model rapids, waves, and splashes. It dries clear but tints can be added for the desired effects.  This company also makes clear water material with tints available.  Both products are compatible and you can get the instructions by going to their website: woodlandscenics.com  You can simulate water falling off water wheels and make some really realistic water scenes.  I'll be looking into doing the same for my planned wipwatermolen.

I think that for thin layers of water this would be my choice. If you have a HobbyLobby in your area check the modeler section for railroads and dioramas.

I hope this helps.

Now back to my diorama, I have ordered the plexiglass sheet and cement this morning and should get it in the house next week. Shipping cost about the same as the glass. It sets me back $74.  Now I have to by a fine tooth saw for my 10 inch table saw to cut it. I can't afford paying $20. per cut.

So, wish me well with this project. I feel rather nervous doing it because I feel my father is looking over my shoulder :o No, kidding of course, I have cut plenty of plexiglass when repairing small airplanes.  It's the cementing all the pieces together into a box that gives me some anxiety but with building a jig to keep all panels square it should work.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The initial flash is what a B & W photo does not record. Does not last long, collapses in on itself leaving the multi level dirty white to gray smoke caused by different density in the smoke cloud. Your mix with a bit of orange looks good. 

image.jpeg.4c6cd3e79376712c73a439071a09e900.jpeg

image.jpeg.bc7ffc27c408f075b5cd10fe561f79ce.jpeg

Edited by jud

Piet, 

Thank you very much for the detailed information on how to make water. Going to copy it in my general hobby notebook. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

@ Marcus:   Your quite welcome, glad I've been of some help :D

@ Jud: Thank you very much for your comment and photos.  I have not yet fastened the gunsmoke permanently and was hoping you would comment and add your insight. I shall add some more color but not make it too overdone.  As mentioned yesterday the plexiglass for the cover case will be shipped tomorrow and expected sometime next week so I have plenty of time to doctor up the smoke.  Your input is highly appreciated. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet

You might consider only doing a couple or doing more in one than another. As Jud says the flash part of the smoke plume is only for a fraction of a second and all of the guns would not be firing right at the same second.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Got you covered Lou, just three guns and only one with a recent shot. I'll play with it some before finalizing it.  Then let Jud tell me how I did.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

1 hour ago, Piet said:

Then let Jud tell me how I did.

That's the best plan.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you so very much Jud for that super great compliment. Coming from you that means two feathers in my cap :D

I should get the plexiglass in this week, then cutting the peaces and cementing them together for the cover.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone,

I received the sheet of plaxiglass with the cement in last Thursday. Unpacked it and it looks undamaged.  Now I need to find some time to cut the pieces out and make a jig to cement it all together.  1/8 inch (0.125 mm) plenty sturdy for this small display case.  I hope to make the cement edges as smooth and true as possible so I don't need corner pieces.

Need to check first if I have an 82 teeth bench saw blade  before rushing out to the store for a new one.

I'm on the home stretch now - yippee!  Then put a few angle braces to the wall in front of my drawing table to place the model on, next to the O19 model.

5b3831f37485a_PlaxiglassandglueforJavacase.thumb.jpg.142587b5ec065dc12b4bc9bc088e23d4.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

So glad your glass arrived and is good for you,   it will be the icing on the cake for you.

Any thoughts on your next build?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for dropping in OC. Yeah, hopefully Monday or Tuesday I'll have some time to start cutting the glass.

No future builds for now, must get back to the VOC ship Surabaya and the 1:3000 scale Young America diorama.  When that's done I may start on the Musi for Gwen.  I have too many things going on in my life to be able to spend many hours a day on models.  I am searching for drawings or just a set of lines for a Buginese fishing Prauw without much success.  Too many wants on my short bucket list.

I need to complete three paintings this year to submit to the National Colored Pencil Society to be inducted into their official recognized artist list. Its a kinda prestigious thing and a challenge.  I normally paint in oils or tempera or pen and ink.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I used to do pencil and pastal drawings  also used to mess with some felt tip intrusion art.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

One of mine -

OC.

086.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Love it Piet ....Nice work!!!..... the smoke looks awesome!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Very nice work OC.!

Thank you Frank, good to see you here.

Hi Carl, yeah, I'll try to be careful.  I had a nice chat with the fellow at the plexyglass store where he gave me a few pointers. That and with my personal experiences from my previous life in aircraft repair, I should be able do okay. I'll need Gwen to help me support the end that overhang's saw table.

Tomorrow I'll be off to the store to buy the proper saw blade.

This morning I cut the jig for holding the glass square and true for gluing. If it doesn't look good I can always put the corner pieces on.

Hey OC, here are a few of my artwork. The first one is colored pencil drawing of a ghost crab her at one of our beaches. The second one is a tempera painting of a sycamore branch and the third one is a pen and ink with dry-brush of Amsterdam bridges.  Sorry for the deviation in subject matter, nothing about ships, although the crab lives on the beach, near the sea ;)

5b39904a8ecbe_TheGoastofSeaIsland.thumb.jpg.cbb8e2c39eca52a4c2abf14fd2d8f6fc.jpg

IMG_1512.thumb.jpg.49d501bf733103e885c167fbb59ca9d0.jpg 

DSCN0241.thumb.jpg.352fdab5b8efe1e50e68c5ac26027b25.jpg

Hope youns like it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you Craig. When painting I'm totally tuned out to the world, very relaxing. But then Gwen calls me for dinner and back to reality.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra