A newbie...... And yet, not exactly a newbie

Jake

Hello,

My name is David, but I go by Jake. I am a 60 yr old man, who has been modeling since I was 5 yrs old. My father was a avid Modeler, from before I was born, right through untill he passed away, a couple of yrs ago.

My father was a person who... Didn't fuss with a model for weeks, he was a... Proflic Modeler. He was a carrer military man, and when I was 5 or 6, while stationed in Okinawa, and shipped literally 200 + models back home.

I am a newbie to wooden ship models... But have spent a lot of time while working on models, doing scratch-building, and super detailing.

I am retired, but spent my professional carrier in the computer industry, the last 1/2 as a systems engineer... So I am used to... Problem solving, and attention to detail.

A little while ago, someone gifted me the Model shipways Niagara model. I did a bunch of research, bought some tools, & books (I am impressed with Mastini's Ship Modeling Simplified book).

While this was a great gift, it was not the wooden ship model I really wanted to build... You see, my grandfather actually worked on one of the restorations of the constitution (I have built Revell's 1/96 model of it).

I have, for yrs, wanted to build this ship in wood. When it was first announced, I read about the Model Shipways Constitution model, in Finescale Modelers Magazine . I never got it, but always wanted it. I decided, before I start the Niagara, I would see about getting the Ms Constitution kit. Two weeks ago, I won a complete Ms Constitution kit, on ebay, for $225.00 (a great deal, I believe).

So, while this is my 1st wooden ship... Making me a newbie .. And I know many people start model projects, and get frustrated, and walk away... I am thinking, hoping... My 50 + yrs of modeling experience, along with my... Professional life experience of... Problem solving, and attention to detail, coupled with my motivation of completing this particular kit, to pass down to my son, to hopefully pass on to future generations, will give me a... Better then average chance of completing this kit.

Jake

Hi Jake,  Welcome to MSW.  I hope you'll start a build log so we can follow the adventure.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Jake. From the way you describe yourself you will most likely get "hooked" and want to keep working on it. I found wood to be much more satisfying than plastic. Go for it!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I will start a build log, once I get started. I am thinking in a couple of weeks ... After looking around the web site here, I am seeing a couple of things I want to get before I start.

I am  ordering  Robert Hunt’s practicum. I downloaded chapter one from the web site, and as soon as I started reading, decided it will be a invaluable tool.

Jake

Today I ordered Robert Hunt’s Constitution practicum....

I had downloaded chapter 1 of this practicum a few days ago, and made a list of tools and supplies, suggested, and also ordered all of these today also.

So, I now have the rest of everything I think I need, to start, and in a week or two, once it all arrives, I can get started. I will open a build log, once I start.

Jake

On 1/26/2018 at 4:05 PM, Tigersteve said:

@xken’s build log is a must see for your project. Best of luck. 

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I just searched, & pulled it up. I have only read through his building of the ship's boats so far, but so far it looks amazing, and does inspire me. I am anxious to get started now.

Jake