Greetings

Mike Shea

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike and I have been a model builder since I was a kid. My main interests are the sailing age from Magellan's era to about the 1920's and steamships of the late 1800s - early 1900s. Not only models, I am an avid reader of books of the sailing age; both warfare and exploration. As far as books go one of my most prized possessions is a Naval Institute Press hardcover edition of '20,000 League's Under the Sea' - a story that never gets old with me. My experience borders on intermediate to experienced with plastic but I am a beginner when it comes to wooden model ships. A few years ago my dad bought me the USS Constitution by Model Shipways (leave it to a family member to buy me one of the most difficult kits - Ha!) but I think I'm going to cut my teeth on something a bit more easier in skill level before tackling that big boy! I have built several balsa airplanes and wooden buildings over the years but never a wooden sailing ship. As a side note, I'm also very much into genealogy and my great grandmother and her children were in Nome, Alaska during the gold rush era from 1903 to 1914 and frequently traveled aboard the SS Corwin (formerly the USRC Thomas Corwin) as noted by the over 200 letters we have in our family archives. I would love to find copies of the building plans for the Corwin as it appeared during the Alaskan merchant trade during the early 1900s. Is that even possible? My dream is to one day scratch build that ship since my ancestors wrote about her very often in their travels. Those letters are fascinating to read and we're very lucky to have those letters in our family collection. Anyway, thanks for letting me aboard and hope to share some knowledge and model building tips from you folks. Cheers!

Mike 

Hello Mike, and a very warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

There won't be any plans of your great-grandmother's ship in her merchant navy configuration, but as she was built as a Government ship, there may well be plans still in existence of her original building.  I'm not sure of sources in the U.S. for such plans, but would the Smithsonian be a starting point?

John

Thanks for the kind words Jim, much appreciated. As for the Corwin, yes, I'll definitely look into the Smithsonian. From looking at the photo's of the USRC Corwin before her rebuild into the merchant service it seems the changes in appearance were quite extensive. I'm pretty new at this kind of stuff but do you think she was a specific class as when originally built? Perhaps there were other ships similar to her. It will be worth looking into and is part of the fun of researching. 

Mike, looking at the photos of both ships, it looks like she underwent fairly radical surgery at some time - she lost both her clipper bow and counter stern in the transformation.  She was probably a 'one off' design at the time of her original build and, even with the radical later surgery, the original plans (if available) would still be very valuable as they'll give you the correct shape of most of the hull.  It would be helpful if you could find out where the alterations were carried out.  Probably no plans survive for the alterations, but you never know your luck.  If you can find out where she was altered, the next step would be to contact a local museum to see if they can help you with any further information.

Good luck with your search.

John

Thanks for your help John. Very gracious of you to take the time to do a little research on my behalf. Come Monday I'll be contacting the Smithsonian and even the Anchorage, Alaska museum to get this ball rolling. Even if her original plans are lost it will be fun to research this vessel in detail. Would it be okay to perhaps post a few copies of those old family letters that mention the Corwin and other various ships of that era in the Historical topic thread? Not the entire letter mind you but just where the ships are mentioned. Perhaps they would benefit other researchers and/or modelers. One letter dated around 1909, my great aunt mentions the Corwin being tossed about in a severe storm off Port Clarence Bay, Alaska where her rudder and anchors were ripped out. Other ships mentioned by my ancestors during the Nome gold rush era were the Victoria, the Ohio (merchant) and Mary Dodge. Thanks again for all your help. This site is simply amazing. 

Mike:

Welcome. Another source will likely be the National Archives. They will most likely have the plans for the Corwin, if they exist. They would be housed at Archives II since they handle plans, photos etc more than Archives I. 

You should also consider speaking with the US Coast Guard. They might have something on her, or maybe just some hints about where to look. 

Good luck. 

Russ

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Jim Lad said:

Mike, looking at the photos of both ships, it looks like she underwent fairly radical surgery at some time - she lost both her clipper bow and counter stern in the transformation.  She was probably a 'one off' design at the time of her original build and, even with the radical later surgery, the original plans (if available) would still be very valuable as they'll give you the correct shape of most of the hull.  It would be helpful if you could find out where the alterations were carried out.  Probably no plans survive for the alterations, but you never know your luck.  If you can find out where she was altered, the next step would be to contact a local museum to see if they can help you with any further information.

Good luck with your search.

John

Well, good news John and Russ! Thanks to your help, the National Archives responded to my request and they have the original plans of the Corwin as she appeared when first built as the USRC Thomas Corwin. I'm currently getting copies ordered. The drawing plans aren't restricted by copyright and I can post what was sent to me by the National Archives if you or anyone else is interested. The plans, albeit faded somewhat, are beautiful! In further research I found that her last rebuild was around 1904 at Moran's Shipyard in Seattle. I am waiting on a response from the Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society to see if I can get any info on plans (if they exist) of her last rebuild in 1904. Thanks again for all your help Gentlemen. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Shea
Grammar error.