US Brig Syren by Eric W - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the Syren club and enjoy the journey.

Peter.

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Eric, Warm welcome to the Syren world....

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Let me be another person to welcome you to the club. Good luck. you have quite a journey ahead of you. :dancetl6:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Eric.

This is going to be a complete change for you building a plank on bulkhead model.

The good thing about this kit is that there is a lot of  excellent builds here on MSW.

Will follow along from the beginning with this build. 

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

So, after reading through a couple of logs, it seems quite a few folks are gluing the bulkheads to the BF prior to bevelling and fairing them. Yet the instructions  say to bevel prior to installation. I also have quite at bit of play in my bulkheads, but I think that will be fixed with the filler pieces. Be happy to get some opinions on this issue.

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

Eric:

You should consider bracing the bulkheads to keep them square while the glue sets. Maybe clamp a machinist's square to the former to hold the bulkhead square while the glue dries. You could use a scrap wood block as well. Just something that square that you can clamp to both the bulkhead and the former to keep them square while the glue dries. 

After the bulkheads are glued in and the glue has dried hard, definitely glue filler blocks in between the bulkheads to help stiffen the hull. I would glue them in closer to the outside of the hull because that is where the most stress will be as you work on the hull. However, you could use blocks that are glued to the former and the bulkheads. The main thing is stiffen the bulkheads. 

As for beveling the bulkheads, if you can lay out the bevels on the bulkheads accurately then you can do some beveling before gluing them in, but I would not try to do it all. Always take off less than you think you should. It is easier to remove a little more but it is difficult to put it back on. Once the bulkheads are glued in and everything is nice and stiff, then you can do the final beveling. That is why those stiffeners between the bulkheads will come in so handy. 

Hope this helps. 

Russ

I am using these great sanding stylus from Lumberton Industries. They come in four different grades of coarseness.  I think several people have come up on the net in various build logs with trepidation about going at the bulkheads with chisels. I am definitely in that camp. The sanding belts on each stylus are about a quarter inch wide, so they work great on the bulkheads. 

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

Like Svien I basically build a solid hull. This does a couple of things IMO it makes fairing easier as you are sanding a solid hull AND it provides a completely solid base for deck planking allowing a good spacing pattern. 

BACFFA9A-0A84-412D-9024-F9F0E7D8CF02.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

PS Jim what an amazing Shipyard! I really enjoyed my visit. :10_1_10:

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Here are a couple shots of the bulkhead fillers that I was able to get done over the weekend. I am going with balsa since it is pretty malleable and light, yet I think it will sufficiently stiffen the bulkheads. I am sticking with the praticum's suggestion of about 1" by 2" for the filler blocks. These are only dry fitted so far. 

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Eric:

Cautious is good. I always try to take off less than I think I should. It is easier to take off a little more than it is to try and put it back on after taking off too much. You are doing good so far. 

Russ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Suprise, I did not in fact quit the build, just had a bit of a hiatus over the summer. Spent last couple months building the port sills and lintels and sanding them in place.  I think I may have sanded myself into a bit of a corner on the two forward most gun port sill pieces on the starboard side. Specifically how they are bowed around the second bulwark. Can that be hidden by the inner planks later, or should I try to fill it now?

IMG_20181217_135359.jpg

IMG_20181217_135329.jpg

IMG_20181217_135315.jpg

IMG_20181217_135246.jpg

IMG_20181217_135340.jpg

IMG_20181217_135305.jpg

Edited by Eric W
Misspelling

• 4 weeks later...

Closing out the weekend with the gun ports and sweep ports framed. I also started the initial sanding on them. I took Chuck's advice and sanded a bit in between each color frame. This gradual process definitely works well. Also, for the sweep ports, I used some leftover 1/8 x 3/8 basswood. Cutting at 3/16 gave me the perfect width. With that, I just had to sand or cut for length. 

IMG_20190113_150904.jpg

IMG_20190113_150850.jpg

IMG_20190113_150916.jpg

IMG_20190113_150939_burst_01.jpg

Edited by Eric W