US Brig Syren by Eric W - Model Shipways - 1:64

Stern framing....egad! Most of the pieces on this kit have been excellent. My stern frames were a bit warped, though. When I first had everything fitted, it looked about as straight as an eight year -old's mouth. I should have taken a photo then. After sanding and re-gluing some pieces, I have the following result. Better, but there is a slight curve aft on the port side. I am using "hope" as a method, and hoping it will come into line once I start paying planks. It is pretty flexible. 

IMG_20190127_173904.jpg

IMG_20190127_173807.jpg

IMG_20190127_173817.jpg

IMG_20190127_173833.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

All Hail to the wales! Sorry couldn't resist. Love Chuck's practicum.  So far it has not led me astray. However, I was a bit concerned when he starts Chapter 5 with a statement assuming. The builder has previous POB  experience......NOT this guy.  I did look at a couple of POB guides, but Chuck's instructions and photos are too notch, so forward! 

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

Coming along nice...brings back memories!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

• 2 weeks later...

As this is my first POB build, I think I have discovered a certain "zen" in planking. I am really enjoying the process. Don't get me wrong here, I suck at it am making copious mistakes, but it is totally taking away the stress. Also, I am using the hull itself as my "jig" , and bending planks to the hull prior to cutting them. You can see this with the top plank still damp from soaking. So far this has worked fairly well. I will probably be painting vs. Staining to hide some of the gaps and nicks. I was going to lightly sand the planks once in place to also mitigate some of the fitting issues. 

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

Edited by Eric W