Yes, you will get some overspray. I solved the problem bu purchasing a small, portable spray booth from eBay. Cost around $100 au. As long as you vent it to the outside via the supplied flexible hose, you can spray inside to your hearts content. The booth folds up into a small ‘suitcase’ for easy storage. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Over-spray is minimal.  I use acrylics and the over-spray is dry before it falls onto the table top.  A bit of newspaper catches it easily.  Another advantage of acrylics is little to no odor.

Solvent based paints are a different story and a spray booth like Hornet suggested is appropriate.  Just be sure it's a properly designed unit with the fan being rated for use in a combustible environment.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm new to model ships, I do have many years use with airbrushing on scale planes.  Yes, there is over spray, but you can also get different nozzle/needle sizes for a wider or narrower spray.  This can also help with over spray.  All depend on the airbrush.  In some cases when I'm doing a quick light weathering, I'll use a number 1 needle and don't need the booth.   But I do love my small booth....  Rob  

The air pressure used can also regulate overspray to some extent. You will need to play and experiment to get used to using the instrument.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The nice thing about over spray from acrylics is that it is dry before it settles onto anything and is just dust to sweep up or brush up.  The air pressure, nozzle pattern, how close to the subject the brush is held all contribute to over spray - if any.  I use a spray booth but before I used it the table top was dusted off w/o any falling to the floor.  I use the spray booth more for the lighting than over spray collection. 

All of my comments apply to acrylics - solvent based paints should only be sprayed in a proper spray boot with electrical components suitable for combustible environments.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS