Double channels on clippers — why?

Srodbro

I have come across two examples of a detail I’ve not noticed before: double channels located one above the other, for each mast.  I don’t understand what advantage they offer. The illustrations below are from Greyhounds of the Sea by Cutler (the Great Republic) and from History of American Sailing Ships ’by Chapelle (Queen of the West).  I can only guess that this arrangement locates the point of attachment for the forces of the shrouds to a more robust location, lower on the frames.

(Note:  After my original post, I noticed this double channel detail is best illustrated in EdT’s Young America build log, Part 158). Still have the same question, though. 

97DE9555-48D0-48BC-AAC5-9D723129D712.thumb.jpeg.36cb97c5785a7846cc5834d78d0df3a4.jpeg

0400C135-51FE-4ED8-85A9-681CA6DBCC71.thumb.jpeg.cdf05a740836ae6a964c630c679d4176.jpeg

Edited by Srodbro
Discovered additional detail example.

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Steve, did you ask Ed (use his build log)?  I pretty sure he knows the answer or one of the clipper guys who frequent there would know.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah ... good idea. Thank you. I shall. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Hi Steve, I am building an 1855 launched warship that featured clipper style rigging.  I have not come across this before either, but some background reading I did during research for my build may help resolve the question.  

One of the issues I came across was, that to get sufficient clearance of the bulwarks brom the shrouds due to their lead angles, some channels were extra wide; whereas in some clippers/packets etc this was resolved by leading the shrouds inboard of the bulwarks.  The ship I am building only had a low bulwark but some had very high ones to protect gun crews and deck personnel, which was problematical for getting a fair lead for the shrouds.  The bulwarks on my build, HMCCC Victoria, were formed from 'roughtree timbers' which were not extensions of the frames etc and therefore were not as strong.  Therefore the channels could not be attached to them.

Putting this together, perhaps, in the two channel ships, a POSSIBLE reason is that the lower one provided the strength for anchoring the shroud as it was attached to the hull proper, while the upper may simply have been a spacer to clear the rails etc.   Ed and co will be better placed to answer this. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you, Pat. 

To all : I have posted at his question on EdT’s Young America build log and he responded. I anticipate others might respond there. 

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

• 1 month later...