I'm midway through a build of the Emma C. Berry. I took a year+ off due to buying and renovating a new house.

In the meantime, people have been anxiously awaiting promised updates of progress. I thought a fun project, or couple, would be to recreate some of the parts of some amazing builds on MSW. A recreated frame w/ blackened nails or a full keel. Accompanied by some plans and shadowboxed.

I'm struggling on two parts:

I can't seem to get wood to save my life. I have placed an order at Wood Project Source, but two weeks later realized I neglected to supply a unit number in my shipping address (please note, this is an error on my end - not theirs). Reading before placing a second order, due to demand, it may be 2-3+ weeks before I can get some wood to work with. Any US vendors than can delivery relatively quicker? Looking for pear and boxwood preferably.

I don't have accurate plans for a frame (and it's parts) or keel. Are there accessible plans with a minimal cost that are limited to the parts I want? I know this question extends beyond the scope of this forum, but advise would be great.

Thank you all, and a silent tip of the hat to all the builds I've been watching that have inspired me.

Ryan

There are many freely available, depending solely on what type of ship and what era.

Start with any of the better pdf versions of Steel's Vade Mecum, Rees' Cyclopaedia, Fincham, Falconer &c.  Modern reproductions of several are also available. 

Another source would be archeological reports (too many to list - check places like academia.edu as starting points). 

Perhaps easiest (although more expensive) would be the publications at Seawatch Books (Fireship Comet, Swan series, the Niad and so on).  Exceptional naratives and very nicely done recreations of plans for the model builder.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

16 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

What exactly are you looking for?  Do you have access to tools to convert blocks of wood or do you need exactly dimensioned pieces?

Roger

Dimensional would be best. I have a scroll saw, mini chop, as well as full size circular saw and a few other pieces. But I don't think, with my skill and limited tools, I'd do to well and trying to mill down larger lumber. 

I would like to buy some various strip and plank and then go from there.

Ryan

Ryan:

Right here on MSW we have the Triton Plans in the Work Group Projects that you can build a cross section model from or a full model - separated into two projects.   

Downloadable plans for the frames and keel pieces are accessible in the cross section area that will work for what you want to do. 

Access to the plans is only $5.00.   You can see work others have done but the plans access section is only unlocked to you after paying the small fee.  Once you have paid the fee this area is open to you so you can download all or part of the plans as needed - perpetual access.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

Ryan:

Right here on MSW we have the Triton Plans in the Work Group Projects that you can build a cross section model from or a full model - separated into two projects.   

Downloadable plans for the frames and keel pieces are accessible in the cross section area that will work for what you want to do. 

Access to the plans is only $5.00.   You can see work others have done but the plans access section is only unlocked to you after paying the small fee.  Once you have paid the fee this area is open to you so you can download all or part of the plans as needed - perpetual access.

Kurt

Great - thank you. I will gain access and give it a look.

If you are willing to consider woods other than pear or boxwood you might want to go with maple.  It is an outstanding wood for framing and keel and is easy to stain to look like other woods.  Go to any hardware store that sells wood and they probably have maple available.  If you can pick over what they have on hand look for one with a tight grain and not to much figure but any decent piece will work.  As for making your own lumber it isn't hard with a table saw.  Use a hollow ground planer blade and be very careful with your fence setting and you can cut some really accurate strips.  Unless you are looking for really thin strips you should be able to get what you need straight from the saw.  There are numerous sites on the web with how to articles on doing this.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Did you look here:  https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/20-wood-discussion/   The pinned topics at the top have lists (and also other ones buried in the posts) of suppliers.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)