Scale plane builder turns to the sea

Jetz1138

I was introduced to model building as a young child in the late 60’s watching my father build RC planes from scratch. I naturally gravitated towards planes, but built several plastic ship models as a youth.  Today, I still build and fly giant scale RC planes, but for many years have wanted to build ships. There’s just something that attracts me to them.  So, I’ve been reading as much as possible and have decided to jump in.  I’m an experienced builder for planes, but a true novice on ships.  So, I joined MSW to meet some friendly folks and learn.  Just looking around the site I’m simply amazed at the craftsmanship.    

Welcome aboard. There are some true artists on this forum. I'm not one of them however. It's a blast learning and improving though with the help of some really great people. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

G'day Rob, you will love it here! You will find ships/boats of all shapes, sizes, periods, skill level etc. imaginable! What's even better though is the great friends you can make and learn off along the way.

Do you have any idea of what your first build will be?

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris,

well... I ordered a Model-shipways Mayflower, but received notice that is was backordered.  So I guess I'm back to looking again.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Do you think the OcCre, Buccaneer Caribbean Ship Kit, 1/100 Scale would be good?  

Rob

hey rob, my number 1 piece of advice is go with something you are really interested in. the first wooden ship I built was the amati santa maria. even though it is usually listed as an intermediate kit, I still chose this as I am a bit of a columbus freak! sure, it had its challenges for me, but this site was a godsend and all in all I think I turned out a really nice model. I guess the big thing to remember is that whatever you choose, it wont be built overnight. that's why I say choose a subject you are really interested in because the build can be with you for a very long time.

chris

Chris,

Excellent advice.  Believe it or not, that's exactly why I selected the Mayflower. I took a tour of the Mayflower replica in Plymouth, Massachusetts many years ago, and was completely fascinated. The ship, the journey... the complete story. Buy, you're right, I need to go back to what's of interest to me.  I really like your choice of the Santa Maria....  hmmm.  now that may be a good for my list.

Rob  

Well, vaddoc...  I'm hoping not too big... My wife is already concerned that my model planes are taking up a lot of room...  It's funny though, I don't seem concerned...  I do have to admit, some of the "giant" ship models I've seen on here are fabulous. A true passion and dedication of time.  But... knowing I'm years away at even attempting one of that caliber, I'm enjoying the start of the journey nonetheless.   Rob