That look good.  The bumps as you say are a result of having the lines not evenly tensioned.  If you have one line looser than the others,  that is the one that will bunch up on you as the others remain taught.  

AND...yes you are also correct in that if you move the headstock too quickly the lines will bunch up when they get twisted and sag.  This is something you can manage with just a little practice.  It becomes something you just get a feel for.  I have made rope flawlessly in complete darkness during a blackout just based on knowing how the rope feels when its twisting.

I use a simple triple knot on each hook.   Again this is something that just gets easier with practice.  I use a simple overhand knot first which remains loose,  this allows me to adjust the tension in the line by feel as I pull on it.  When I know it is the right amount of stretch, then I give it two more knots.

Chuck

Oh almost forgot to mention.   I just restocked these today....there are now six rope rockets in stock.  I know several of you have been waiting patiently as they were out of stock for a couple of weeks.

Sorry for the shameless plug!!!  :D

I tried turning ropes with three strands, then mounting these again in the ropewalk and turning them together with the drill running in the opposite direction. This makes a a Z, or right turned rope, which I believe would be a hawser?

I did not get the tensions quite right, so there are some blips in it. It sets up powerful forces; trying to keep the headstock from unwinding was quite an experience! I had to unwind and then wind again, which probably did not help this rope much.

As I measure things, Chuck's supplied thread is .017 in diameter. Three of these turn up to .032, or a factor of 1.9 times the original thread diameter. And three of those three, or 9 threads altogether, turn up to about .059", again a factor of 1.9 times the diameters of the ropes in the second stage.

I have yet to try 3 threads in each eye, or 9 threads in one turning session. Will it be the same as turning the 9 threads in two sessions? It obviously changes the lay of S or Z.

Mark

IMG_8303.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg

That looks good.  Just keep practicing and trying different ways.  You will get in a groove with it.  Make sure that the hooks arent loose either.  Make sure they dont swivel and are locked in.  This can affect your rope as well.   But you are getting there....that rope looks very good indeed.

Hi Chuck,

I discovered that my tailstock wheel was beginning to wobble. When I pulled up the third rope to tension, it would be shorter than the other two already tied off because the wheel tipped.

So, I have reset the setscrew, to pull the wheel a little tighter to the tailstock. And I really cranked it down on the bolt threads. That should help.

When you tension the threads, do you pull out the stretchiness until it stretches no more, or do you push against each of the three threads in the middle of the span to test the different tensions? I was doing the latter, but think the former might be more consistent. Except pulling all of the tension out of those 3 strand ropes to make the 9 strand rope may be what pulled so hard on my tailstock wheel.

Mark

I do the former....I can sense when the stretchiness is all but gone while adjusting the thread on the end.  I dont test the middle of the span at all.  The little difference you get with a wobble wont help or hurt.  It's usually much more forgiving.  My bet is on the third most common symptom for the line crinkling up on itself listed below.  Its all a matter of testing and getting the feel for it.  Rope making is something done by feel or the art of it.

1.  one line is too slack...

2.  One of the hooks is loose and swivelling.

3.  You are twisting the individual strands too much causing them to bunch up on each other.

They are all easy fixes.  Its just a matter of practice and once you get your recipe down.......write it down for ever size rope you make.  Then you will be all set.

I am making rope today too!!!  What a surprise.  I am making one package or a 20' length of rope every 8 minutes.  Although my pace tends to slow down a bit after a few hours.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Thanks, this is very helpful. I can only read in awe at a rope every 8 minutes, for a few hours in one go. An impressive goal I will aspire to!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Rope Rocket and it works SOOOOO much better than my previous attempts.

To avoid having to try all those different threads, Chuck, can you share what the brand of thread is (and size) that you supplied?  I'd like to get more sizes of the same thread, I think.  It looks like maybe the DMC Cordonet?

Chas Douglass

Its a chucky "Syren Brand".  You cant buy it in any store.   I get it custom made and dyed in Europe.  Unfortunately I dont plan on selling the raw stuff retail.  That is a trade "secret" of sorts.   The only way to get it is to buy my finished rope.  Its too expensive for me to start supplying the raw stuff to folks and I wont make any $$$.  Sorry.   Unfortunately you are left with trying the usual suspects that have been talked about on this site.  I want my Syren Rope to be special and I only want it to be available in rope form from my store.  Too much competition out there and I need avery edge I can get.  I have been asked before but unfortunately that is the case.  Sorry.

Chuck

• 1 year later...

Syren rope Rockets should be back in stock soon.  I just ordered a bunch of those parts that had been out of stock from the mfg because of Covid.  As soon as they arrive I will make a bunch more. 

Everyone should give rope making a try.  Its not that hard to do.   A short learning curve and you will never buy another package of rope again.  You will enjoy making your own.

I will let everyone know when they done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck,

I was wondering when these might be available? I just purchased one of your rope serving machines, expecting it to arrive later (as just about everything else on the market has been delayed by a month). It arrived way ahead of schedule!

So now I need to make some rope. 🙂

Chuck, please reserve one for me.

Thank you

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry