Hi all, is anyone else experiencing / seeing issues with the posting of their responses in forums (not messages)?  Quite often now I write a response/post in a forum, click submit button and believe it is sent.  When I go back to the forum I see it has not posted and when I open a response window the text is still sitting there.

At first I thought it was my impatience and that I was not giving it enough time or I was forgetting to click the button - but no.  This has happened in several forums now.

I am using Win10 64 bit OS with Chrome browser.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
donrobinson and cog like this

I've not seen that, Pat (Win 7 and Chrome).   I do see where if you close the page without hitting send and then go back that the post is still there.  

donrobinson and CaptainSteve like this

No problems here Pat, and I am pretty close geographically to you. I also use win10 64bit. Are you on our so called world leading bells and whistles NBN? If so I can sympathise with you completely as its more dodgy than a backyard Chinese mock-up kit version of the Caldercraft Victory! 

Chris

Sometimes I would like to believe I sent a reply of,  but the later when replying to the same topic, my old reply shows up in the window.

After looking backwards I realized I never sent my reply.

With other words - "replying without submitting"

donrobinson and mtaylor like this

That's exactly what I am experiencing Per, glad to see I am not alone - BUT, this is a small concern as I often believe I have posted when I have not :(

Vossy, yeah unfortunately.  Dropouts galore and I was getting better speed on my old cable system (which is no longer supported due to the Gov's compulsory switch laws! ugh!)

cheers

Pat

Pat, 

When I have seen my "supposed submitted" in a reply window, I have realized I never clicked submit.

Pure human error.

donrobinson and mtaylor like this

Thanks Per,

Hi admins/moderators ; I have been exploring/testing my issue further and I think it may be a 'lag' issue.  That is, I press the submit button but often just expect it has been submitted and I jump to a new forum/post.  When I jump I am probably interrupting the submit action.  I have noticed that of recent times, many of my posts take a lot longer to actually show as posted.

I am not sure what is causing this but I have a suspicion it may be the MSW Server.  Up until the recent prolonged downtime for recent server upgrades I had no issues whatsoever with my current ISP, connections or OS/Browser combo - which remain unchanged and I have cleared cache.  This has all started since then, and I have noticed it takes me a lot (LOT) longer to access some forums now - some days it is good, but mostly much slower than before.  I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this but I note a greater number of 'double' posting issues recently by some which indicates 'impatience due to similar slow submission periods..

I am not experiencing these lags on any other site, and as I said, I have only experienced them since the last server/platform upgrade.  I am not sure whether my usual access time coincides with the MSW backup which may be one potential cause?

cheers

Pat

Pat, it seems pretty bad today.  Whatever is going on is more than likely server side.  I'm not seeing any slowdown when I "ping" the site.  Just extreme slowness in responding.

Pat,

I had another experience, The response seemed to be saved but apparently got lost, and when I focused the edit field, it staid empty ... (Win7 Ultimate SP3, Firefox 57/ latest Chrome). Besides that a horrible loading time for each page transition ... which is odd as Mark pointed out. ping results are not bad at all

Pinging modelshipworld.com [192.124.249.6] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.124.249.6: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=55
Reply from 192.124.249.6: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 192.124.249.6:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 25ms

mtaylor likes this

Hi All,

Up in BrisVegas.

Had similar slow connection/page response yesterday 8th Feb18'.

However this morning, usual good response times to pages.

On the NBN, but seems no diff to ADSL2 in HO.

And yes one has to wait till the post(after Submit Reply) is completed, comes up as a post before moving on.

mtaylor likes this

I guess none of you read the message at the top of the page about the Server update :rolleyes: (gone now). It's all done now, so things should be back to normal for you all.

:cheers:  Danny

mtaylor likes this

Danny, I did read the message in the Announcement section about the Server Upgrade. The announcement message was dated February 6th.  But I was attempting to login at 0800 US Eastern Standard Time on February 7th, so I assumed the Upgrade was past tense and had been completed prior to my attempting to login and that someone had just forgotten to delete the message.  I too encountered all day on the 7th the problems noted above.   In the future, these messages should have a more accurate time stamp to include date, time and time zone, and duration (over time) of the upgrade,  so we can be better informed.

mtaylor likes this

Hi Danny, I was aware of yesterday's server updates.  My comments made earlier stated that this has been an ongoing issue for a while where sometimes the connection slows.

Pat

mtaylor, cog and Jack12477 like this

I was wondering if our server(s) are Intel powered.   There's been a rash of updates (microcode) to fix some very serious bugs and the fixs have, shall we say "issues".   Some companies are spending some heavy change to remove the patches as they created more problems than they solved and one of the problems was a decline in usable speed by up to 40% depending on the chip.   Let's be careful out there, it's a mad world indeed.

cog and CaptainSteve like this

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

In the future, these messages should have a more accurate time stamp to include date, time and time zone, and duration (over time) of the upgrade,  so we can be better informed.

That's not always possible as most of the upgrades are done by the Webhost and not us. The duration will vary depending on what they're doing I suppose.

:cheers:  Danny

> I too encountered all day on the 7th the problems noted above.   In the future, these messages should have a more accurate time stamp to include date, time and time zone, and duration (over time) of the upgrade, so we can be better informed.

This message WAS ACCURATE, do you really think I can tell you in all different timezones exactly what will when happend? Don't make me angry spending HOURS of MY time to analyze and fix the damn issues by posting messages like this. I lost a whole working day! I'm freelancer ... now calculate.

And it was NOT an upgrade, it were unexpected server crashes! 

@Mark: It is not only Intel it is almost every processor in the world using the typical "speculative execution" (an optimization technique where a computer system performs some task that may not be needed. Work is done before it is known whether it is actually needed, so as to prevent a delay that would have to be incurred by doing the work after it is known that it is needed. If it turns out the work was not needed after all, most changes made by the work are reverted and the results are ignored.)

And it is a damn super mega disaster!

Our Kernel is up to date so the AT THE MOMENT actual microcode is loaded. 

Dirk

PS: Sorry guys, but that makes me angry atm .. don't take it personal though ...

Ok Dirk calm down! I was not asking you to post for every time zone. If you post that some update/reboot will occur at 1600 GMT on mm/dd/yyyy  (for example) we all can figure out what time that is in our own time zone, but when the post says Feb 6th and it is now Feb 7th we cannot figure out if the problem is over or still recurring.

CaptainSteve likes this

I find this attitude of yours to be very inappropriate for a public forum. If you have concerns, address them privately. It really isn't a great idea in telling people what to do. If this message was still there on February 7th, it was because it was still VALID. A reboot with fsck can't be estimated how long it will take or when the hoster will do the reboot at all, because I CAN' T REMOTE DO IT.  And I find it extremely unpleasant that I should justify myself here. I can send you my invoice for a lost day as a freelancer.

Dirk

Hi all, the frustrations are understood and admin efforts are much appreciated - the notice was there and for most, it was noted. The issue I raised has nothing to do with the recent (one day) event - can we please get back on to the issue I raised?

The problem I raised has been evident (to me at least) for a month or so where, at times, the connection seems to slow dramatically, to the point the submission of a post is affected.  I click the [SUBMIT REPLY] button, the post appears to take but sometimes doesn't.  As I also said, it may just be me, but all other forums I am on, and other websites do not display this particular problem.  Some of it can be attributed to the fact that perhaps I am a little too quick to exit the forum but not all times.

It is not a world ender; just frustrating and I am trying to determine why I consistently seem to get these slow downs with the MSW server - as previously stated, it may be related to something as innocuous as my online time coinciding with the server back-up? 

[Edit = I have noticed since the recent event that MSW, from my PC, appears to be much faster.]

many thanks

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
mtaylor, cog and paulsutcliffe like this

Hi Admins/Moderators.

It would appear now that mine is not an isolated case with at least two other members experiencing the same issues.  That issue being that sometimes you post but, although saving, it does not stick and remains in your reply box. 

I no longer believe it is a speed issue (lag on the site) as the site is much faster again (response wise generally) as i reported above.  Could someone please have a look at this?

cheers

Pat

donrobinson, mtaylor and cog like this

Pat,

there is nothing to do and/or investigate on our side. These might be local timing issues. A website/Forum is a very complex code thing nowadays and sometimes have hickups on local machines what is not unusual. Simply make sure you post what you wanted to post and if a second click is needed then a second click is needed. ;-)

cheers,

Dirk

donrobinson and paulsutcliffe like this

Pat,

The problem with all those "newish" methods in web development, leaves the visitor/user in the dark what goes wrong and why. Try the Fiddler tool you used on that other site. You can see the "under cover" requests to the server and possible answers. You'll probably get time outs on the request that fails, which in turn can mean slow traffic from your PC to the server, or poor server performance (mostly due to high traffic moments)

Cheers

mtaylor likes this

Hi Dirk and Carl, thanks for the feedback - BUT it isn't quite so simple (in my experiences anyway).  If it was simply lag or timing issue I would not have raised this.  Two other users (in their ship build logs) have noted similar issues.  A summary of the issue follows:

I type a response and hit the submit key.  It appears as a post in the forum (I wait for this) before exiting because, as you say sometimes it takes a while.  In all instances I see the post made (mostly with a delay) but when I come back to the forum again one of three things have happened:

1.  The post has stuck - all good :) (97% of the time).

2.  The post has stuck but the text for it is still in the response box/panel the next time I try to post in that forum.  Like the text cache is not clearing.

3.  The post has not stuck (even though it appeared previously) and the text remains in the response box/panel.

I am learning to live with it but it is an annoyance especially if the post has been in the form of a question.

cheers

Pat

[Edit]  The following shows an example of retained text I just found after writing the initial response.  The text has been retained even though I have posted it in the forum (actually there) a bit further up the page - the text was not cleared on posting.  

2018-02-22_11-08-14.thumb.jpg.b48a95650b0911f060a8c559b9f0083e.jpg

Edited by BANYAN
Update
lmagna and cog like this

Pat,

I come across the "sticky" text in that box from time to time. That will probably be due to the return response from the server. If the script in the browser doesn't get the required response the text will be saved in a cookie and be reusable for that log in the future, unless you clear your cookies. Thus:

1.  The post has stuck - all good :) (97% of the time).

2.  The post has stuck but the text for it is still in the response box/panel the next time I try to post in that forum.  Like the text cache is not clearing.

3.  The post has not stuck (even though it appeared previously) and the text remains in the response box/panel.

1 The script got the correct response

2 the script didn't or got the wrong response

3 the script didn't get a response (in which case you are lucky for you do ot need to retype the text ;) )

So when 2 or 3 occur youwould want to know what the server's response is. Hense my referal to Fiddler, you can also use the development tools from your bowser, press F12 and slect the network tab. You know how/where to reach me.

Cheers mate

CaptainSteve and mtaylor like this

I do know that the text remaining in the input box AFTER a post has been made is a known bug of this system as it happens on another forum I am a member of too, yet the text itself has posted fine. This phenomenon can also happen in private message windows too. There's little we can do about that. Just press CTRL and A then delete to remove that, or COMMAND and C for Mac.

lmagna likes this