USS Spruance DDG 111 by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - PLASTIC

Masterful job Greg. Can't wait to see it in place!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The end result looks great Greg despite the frustrations and tribulations :)  Those masts are just full of electronics, aerials and cables; you have a done a nice neat job of it especially at that scale.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great paint treatment Greg; that looks very realistic mate!

cheers

Pat

Absolutely impressive!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

so much detail Greg!   top notch model!..........looks life-like as she stands now.......even more so when she's weathered  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

By the time you are done with this build Greg, you will know almost as much as any crew member about the layout and equipment on this ship and be qualified to conduct guided tours!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Greg, your model is fantastic and took me down memory lane! I was a SPY radar tech on the USS Barry (DDG52), so many of your photos bring back lots of memories. Fun fact- those SPY arrays are made up of a thousand or so small porcelain windows that are covered in RTV. When you go through a hail storm lots of them break and you get to spend a day in port on a ladder replacing them!  -Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

10 hours ago, chj said:

Question, please. How do you know what each of the small parts represent? Tamiya identifies many of the parts, but it seems to me that Trumpeter neglects to do so. I bought AOTS for The Sullivans, but can't find a similar publication for each WWII ship class.

You might have to narrow it down as to which piece you want to know about, but I reckon ChaB probably has it covered! I have the entire collection of AOTS but I doubt they will make any more. Profile Morskie has some excellent plans of a lot of WW2 ships. 

Edited by RGL

Greg

7 hours ago, ChadB said:

When you go through a hail storm lots of them break and you get to spend a day in port on a ladder replacing them!

Luckily you used different materials, Greg ... else you might have been replacing those tiles for the remainder of your time with all them hail storms about Canberra... a never ending build :o

More details than I expected on this one

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

22 hours ago, RGL said:

You might have to narrow it down as to which piece you want to know about, but I reckon ChaB probably has it covered! I have the entire collection of AOTS but I doubt they will make any more. Profile Morskie has some excellent plans of a lot of WW2 ships. 

Haha, well apparently the DDG's have changed somewhat since my day! The lack of a forward CIWS sent me down the internet rabbithole of trying to figure out when/why they were removed and what they were replaced with.

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

awesome progress........ship looks in fighting trim  ;)   very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nice work!  Well done!

Im reading the second book in Ian Toll’s series on the Pacific War.  Spruance plays a key role in the war effort, cool to see someone building the ship named after him.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Up to your usual very high standard Greg; very nice detailing.

cheers

Pat