Tserniki vessel from Mytilene island by Thanasis - FINISHED - not much of a scratch build log

Hello all. You might have noticed my absence but I’m still here…

Well, it’s been a long time since a previous presentation work of mine but I’m not notorious for accurate build logs anyway. So I have come to prove myself again …:)

I started the model one year before accepting the challenge to build a model with open hull.

I didn't work on it regularly, so that's why the lack of many photos, not that I have in my mind to take photos in other case…

I chose to represent a vessel from my place of origin, the Island of Mytilene (Lesbos).

It was a small double ended vessel (Tserniki type) which was used for coastal trading.

It was usually rigged with a half lateen sail or a sacoleva sail (sprit sail).

19849.JPG...19850.jpg...19851.JPG

I observed many photos of that vessel from the archives of 3w.naftotopos.gr and I modified an old plan of that hull type.

19852.jpg

I built the model following the method plank on bulkheads removing a number of them afterwards from the middle of the hull.

I prepared the false frames by soaking proper pieced of wood, bending them and drying them on the surface of the removed bulkheads.

19853.JPG...19854.jpg...19855.JPG

I had to paint the inner of the hull before I plank the deck and keep it covered for the rest of the construction.

19856.JPG...19857.JPG...19858.JPG

The grapnel anchor was made by using fishing hooks that were set and glued inside a hole in a plastic rod, while the cleats on the mast were made by modifying some fishing swivels…19859.jpg

The Shackles were made as is shown there

The Belaying pins were made as is shown there

The Sails were made as is shown there

The cargo was made by chopping some twig pencils.19860.jpg

It took me much time to decide about the colors on the model…Painting is always the only stage of my builds that stresses me. Wanting to give a local-origin character in my models, I'm always anxious whether I have chosen the right colors or I have turned it to a clown.

19861.jpg...19862.JPG...19863.JPG

Finally the stand was made by a piece of plywood and some wooden rings which were cut in half. 19864.jpg
I hope my wife won’t notice the missing curtain hoops...:P :)

See the finished model in gallery.

a-8.jpg

Many thanks

sweet looking model.........very nice paint work and a really neat display!  very well done Thanasis.....a lot of charm and detail!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sweet work.  Nice, clean, and beautiful.   It's good to see you back.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all for your likes and comments.!

Kostas nice to see you still here..

Friendly to all.

Thx

Edited by Thanasis

• 1 year later...

Thank you Nikiforos-Thank you Igor. You're both vary kind.
Vagelis, You amazed me…Eventually you found the way to join us here.
By the Italian way…😉 Thank you buddy.

Grazie Nikiforos-Grazie Igor. Siete entrambi molto gentile.
Vagelis, mi hai stupito ... Infine trovato il modo di unirti a noi qui . 
Con via Italiana ...😉 Grazie  Compagno.

Thx