Is there an solvent for this paint? Although the cover was screw down tight, it seems to be all dried out and completely unusable now. :oThe writing on the bottle is all blurred and not readable. :(What to do ? Maybe the  acrylic stuff in tubes is better. I still have some used for painting that deals with TIME better than Model Expo Paint

Thanks 

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

From their website:

“Historically accurate colors that have been specially formulated for wooden models! High quality acrylic based paints can be thinned with water, thinner or alcohol. They clean up easily with water, making them ideal for airbrush use. Brushed or sprayed, paints dry flat with good grain structure and smooth finish.”

so I am thinking water.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

As far as I know, if acrylic paint is dry, you can't resurrect it.  This site says it can be but with cautions... http://www.how-to-draw-and-paint.com/how-to-reactivate-dried-acrylic-paint.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

SOS,

I had some 2 year old couple of bottles half full hard as a rock. I being cheap started with a little water and drill bits small first drilling many holes at a slow speed than more water and graduated the bit size. It did work but took about 30 minutes.

Maybe since then I inspect bottles about every month and if needed add a little water stir put back on the shelf.

I not having deep pockets have saved a lot off paint.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 1 month later...

THANKS ALLEN FOR YOUR REPLY . I JUST NOW CAME ACROSS IT AND IT SURE IS WORTH A TRY

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:36 PM, Senior ole salt said:

Maybe the  acrylic stuff in tubes is better. I still have some used for painting that deals with TIME better than Model Expo Paint

You are probably right.  The bottles allow way to much air in them, whereas the tubes allow very little. :o  Some people say to try taking up that volume of air by filling them with stainless steel ball bearings, but when I received my Expo paint they were unopened for a couple of months afterwards but the sealed bottles were already like hockey pucks. :angry: 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

14 hours ago, mischief said:

Vigorously shaken and inverted "weekly" will help enormously.

Perhaps MS should be doing that to their entire stock.:D

Dave

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, John Allen said:

I had some 2 year old couple of bottles half full hard as a rock. I being cheap started with a little water and drill bits small first drilling many holes at a slow speed than more water and graduated the bit size. It did work but took about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestion John.  I took one of my Model Expos "hockey pucks" and was able to resurrect it!:cheers:  I now poured it into one of those plastic bottles with a cap that allows me to dispense the paint by the drop.  Now I'm also planing on making it a monthly routine to shake all my paint bottles to try and keep them more usable. 

This saved me quite a headache as I had painted the inside of my Phantoms bulwarks quite some time ago, and now needed to paint the deck furniture to match, but found that particular paint color was now a hockey puck.  My only two options seemed to be either try and match the paint with another brand (good luck with that) or to repaint the bulwarks with another paint that would match the new color.:angry: Somehow neither choice appealed to me, so thanks again for the suggestion! :10_1_10:

Dave

Dave,

What drove to that to begin with when I mixed colors to obtain a color that you couldn't buy, and not saving in increments to recreate it I had to due several touch ups much later. Well lo and behold could not recreate color what I had had dried up so I thought what if. Now have saved mixed colors in addition to your hockey pucks, thanks for the like.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.