HMS Endeavour rigging plan

Ensign

Ensign here, I have recently completed Caldercraft's HMS Victory, log elsewhere in the forum. I have now been approached by a friend to complete a model of the HMS Endeavour, Captain Cook's research vessel when he sailed to Australia. The model is by Artesania Latina and leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I have tried to obtain a copy of the AOTS publication HMS Endeavour only to be informed it is out of print. The problem I am mostly concerned with is the rigging, the AL rigging is not accurate and not well presented. If I could obtain an accurate set of rigging plans the task would be much easier. I have searched the web with no luck and so was wondering if any of you could provide me with rigging diagrams or point me in the right direction to obtain same.

Thank you in advance

Gary

(Ensign)

The essential rigging would not be much different ( except for size and quantity ) from the

Victory.

If you can get  something like Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld,

It would give you a good line by line accounting for similar ships; which you could compare

to the plans you have and make adjustments as necessary

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Hi Ensign,  have you tried eBay for second hand copies.  Also some online book sellers like Abe Books may have second hand copies for sale?  Also check out the various logs as there is some discussion on many aspects of the rigging within them.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

Gregory, checked out your reference to 'Historic Ship Models' on Amazon, I may purchase a paperback copy for general reference, very affordable at $7.83.

Banyan, never thought of Ebay, I shall try Abe books as well, didn't know about them. The logs will also be a good source.

Druxey, I shall also check out 'The Fully Framed Model' Vol. IV.

I guess I'm just a bit OCD. Our friend wouldn't know if the rigging was correct or not but I want to get it right, it is after all probably the most important historic vessel to sail in these waters.

Thanks again

Gary

Hello ensign. I may have some help for you. Hope it isn't to late. For your particular need, go to the Naval Institute Press. A book by Lennarth Petersson. Rigging Period Ship Models. ISBN 1-55750-970-0. It pertains to this period of ships and shows rigging much clearer than your kit. Highly recommended. Second is Captain Cooks Endeavour by Karl Heinz Marquardt. ISBN 9780851778969. It has the whole build plan but has a correct version for rigging. Conway Maritime Press. You can check on Amazon, but some of the prices suggest major brain damage by the listers. Good luck.

Thank you Bluenose2 and Druxey. I have Petersson's book, which is some help. I am currently chasing up a local source for Marquandt's Captain Cooks Endeavour, I know someone with a copy and he may be able to provide the info I need.

Thanks again

Gary

Have you tried the Sydney Maritime Museum, they have a full size replica there, might be able to help you out

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Hi Ensign, I have built a model of Endeavour (AL kit heavily bashed) and depending on your locale may be able to provide some help.  Your profile does not indicate where you live etc.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Just a thought if it helps I can send you some photos I took when I visited last year, not sure how much use they will be for yo

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

• 1 year later...

Hello, Ensign

I know this follow up message is very late from your post ...

Did you ever succeed in finding a satisfactory rigging plan?  If so, what was it?

I am considering a scratch build of Endeavor, and am gradually trying to assemble information, plans, etc. In a couple weeks I’ll be on a cruise to New Zealand and Australia, and hope to get to Endeavor in Sydney, and see if the Maritime Museum might have anything useful for a modeler. 
Thanks. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Thanks, all, for responding. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa