Hi all,

As I retire on November 6th 2019 I have started to buy kits to enjoy building.

I have brought these three so far.

I like the Artesania Latina kits. They have a lot of white metal rather than brass or copper fittings. But this makes them more affordable. The Mare Nostrum Looks straightforward, and it will be nice to build a kit that is not too challenging.

DSC_4449.JPG

DSC_4451.JPG

DSC_4456.JPG

DSC_4460.JPG

DSC_6127.JPG

DSC_6130.JPG

DSC_6134.JPG

DSC_6137.JPG

DSC_6143.JPG

DSC_6156.JPG

DSC_6158.JPG

DSC_6160.JPG

DSC_6161.JPG

DSC_6164.JPG

Have fun building Paul. Just be aware that the materials in the AL kits can be very poor quality. I had to replace or re-make a lot of the white metal parts on my last kit from them. The plywood for the framing is low quality and splits very easily. I know what you mean about having to take what you can afford - the story of my life. Be sure and do a build log so others can follow along with your build!

Jesse

I have heard that about the AL kits. Just like the look of them. I plan on buying a few more kits over the 22 months before i retire. My present build should last until then.

Paul

If it is of any use to you I built both the Mare Nostrum and the Red Dragon and, with a few modifications found them to be really good kits. Having said that they were both quite old and picked up cheaply on ebay. Maybe the quality has decreased in view of some of the comments but mine were OK.

For all the bad press AL get, they do produce nice kits. The wood is not top quality but I can't fault the fittings.

You get what you pay for. The Mississippi was the most expensive at £125. The AL kits can be built alongside my present build and i think will produce some nice models.

Whereas the Amerigo  kit i am building has cost me near £900 because i brought it as a multi kit. At that price I expect nothing less than a top quality kit that will give me years of top rate modelling to complete.

Paul

My first ever ship model was Artesania's San Francisco back in 2002. That sort of paved the way for me and I loved it.

I absolutely love Amati stuff too and I followed it with their Santa Maria.

Nice stash build!

I built an AL Reynard and enjoyed it. I liked the photo instructions. Much easier to follow than the Constructo and Mamoli kits I've worked on. Good luck and enjoy!

18 minutes ago, Stevinne said:

I liked the photo instructions.

Agreed. It is one of the best things about the AL kits.

Paul

The Heller HMS victory kit looks very complex. The instructions are not very good. You would need to have a good bit of modelling skills to build this kit. Parts are excellent and well detailed but there are a lot of damaged parts. The pictures show what looks like damage from melting. Mailed Heller twice but no reply. I will buy a second kit to get the replacements and so i have spares for the more fragile parts.

DSC_6615.JPG

DSC_6616.JPG

DSC_6617.JPG

The AL Cable Car is very interesting to me. Nice collection of kits for your retirement. Looking forward to your reviews of them in the future.

Ahoy Mates

I know how it is to just retire. I did it 5 years ago. As to what to do,I had spent the last 50 years collecting model kits. All types and building at the same time. Now I have way TOO MANY kits. I do not have a 100 years to build all of what I have. Spent the last week sorting out,boxing and listing all my kits and detail parts. I have sold over half of what I had 8 years ago when my wife passed away. Now I build mostly wooden ship models. Here's a photo of a small part of what I have in "stock". I am ready for the end of time with kits, I know that you can have too many kits.

Keith and Pickels

pickels and garage 4-17-2018 001.JPG

pickels and garage 4-17-2018 011.JPG

Hello Keith

What are you doing in my closet taking pictures?:huh: 

Oh, hold it, that must not be my collection after all. There is a MUCH nicer tool box on the side than the one I own, I'm jealous. I have thought of selling some of mine as well but then I would have some room and I would probably just buy something to fill the space. Besides the model i got rid of would probably be the one I next ended up wanting to build! That's the whole idea of having a hoard isn't it? Being able to go to the shelf and pick out your next project without the need to wait for payday or the mail to arrive? 

I keep envisioning that I will have to be buried in a mausoleum the size of a pyramid to house my ashes and models, but they will probably end up on eBay and in someone else's "collection." 

Keith

I believe I have bought some of your model collection in the past...some old large scale car model kits. One was an Italian road racer (I believe it may have been either a Maserati or a Fiat) with a metal body and another was a land speed record car. A long time ago, like maybe 10+ years ago.

I will be retired 2 years this July and am just now getting to the point that I can dedicate a few hours a day to modeling. I usually just hit the shop on weekdays and sometimes Saturday.

I did the same thing as you as far as building a kit stash and buying tools the last 5 or so years on the job. I could work pretty much all the overtime I wanted and put it all into getting ready for retirement. Just be aware that over the time it takes to build a kit or two your skills will improve and your tastes in models may change. I have a pretty narrow area of interest so I bought kits that match that but get progressively more difficult. I have also gotten ready to do some scratch building with books, plans and tools. I should be set for two lifetime's at least.

Just have fun and enjoy your retirement. 

Ahoy Mates

Thanks for the replies. The tool box is my Gerstner that's just about to be 48 years old this September. I also have my Dad's that's 63 years old and 3 other Gerstners. One I have filled with Miniature Rope,blocks and other stuff from Syren along with all my other fittings for my wooden ships. The others have all my diemaking tools. I am a second gen Tool and Diemaker. I learned the trade from my late Dad and worked with him for 15 years before he retired. He also taught me model making ,starting me out at age 4. He's the reason I have this collection.   I was blessed to have a Dad like him. It's just too bad that he never saw what I build now in wooden ship models.

If you see a model that you want,just message me. I am selling what I have .

Thanks

Keith

I am retiring on June 15th, but I am feeling unprepared. I only have 3 kits in the inventory, although I do have to finish the Constitution first. We are also moving in June so there is plenty of other stuff to do for a while.

1 hour ago, usedtosail said:

I am retiring on June 15th, but I am feeling unprepared. I only have 3 kits in the inventory, although I do have to finish the Constitution first. We are also moving in June so there is plenty of other stuff to do for a while.

Fear not. If you are anything like me, your ability to fill the cupboard with model projects will far outdistance your ability and time to complete them.

Been there, done that, and have the tee shirt.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, CDW said:

Fear not. If you are anything like me, your ability to fill the cupboard with model projects will far outdistance your ability and time to complete them.

Been there, done that, and have the tee shirt.

True,

I have all these kits and plan on buying a few more yet.

Of course the one thing I haven't taken into account is where I am going to display them all.

Paul

Before retirement (about five years ago) I bought as many tools I could afford. A lathe, milling machine, cnc router etc. Now that I have a lot of time to use them, but not so much money any more, I am glad about this decision.

19 hours ago, Moxis said:

Before retirement (about five years ago) I bought as many tools I could afford.

I have done the same. Likewise with money. I figure that once I am retired money will be scarce to spend on the hobby, so will have all I require.

Paul

I have been buying tools and supplies too while I still can, in anticipation of retirement. I get to set up the workshop in its new location, so I have been anticipating that too. I will need more lighting in the new place but I think I have everything else I need (for now).

Keith - That is not a collection it is an addiction. I will confess to a similar affliction. But the admiral stepped in. She said I could not buy any more models than it would take 10 years to complete. I just retired a few months ago. Even with my small stash it looks like I am good for 10+ years.

I have a huge stash of plastic kits too. Since I got into wooden ships I have lost interest in them. I really should work on selling most of them off. I’ll never build them and someone else may as well enjoy them.

Hi Floyd

Not much to bring really if you look at my build log. Pretty much just a bunch of wood glued together at (Hopefully) right angles. I suppose I can bring it, should be interesting for at least 30-40 seconds or so.

Ahoy Mates

Well here's most of my kit collection,in boxes marked and kits on shelves.If I build all of them I will need a BIGGER HOUSE for sure.And to live to be 160 years old.

Keith

robins and garge kits 5-13-2018 014.JPG

robins and garge kits 5-13-2018 018.JPG