Sir Winston Churchill by Marc L - Woody Joe - Scale 1:75 - First wooden ship build

First wooden ship build. Started a few weeks back so going to post pics of where I've got to so far.

I'm in the UK and bought the kit from an online merchant in Japan.

Kit is awesome. Instructions are in Japanese but pictures are self explanatory in the most part. And I found a Japanese OCR app which helps me every now and then.

I sailed on the Sir Winston Churchill and Malcolm Miller several times as part of the Sail Training Association (now Tall Ships Youth Trust), so this particular schooner holds a lot of memories. 

As for building the model. I'm making it up as I go along..

Primed and sanded and primed and sanded. Here's the latest. Couple of blemishes left but am pretty chuffed - not bad for a Sunday's work.

Ragove - agree. She was a peach in real life as well, especially in full sail. Hope to do her justice.

Keith - thanks! It's 1:75

Next up is blemish removal and working out what to do for the waterline. Need to do some research.

IMG_20180211_161408.jpg

IMG_20180211_161348.jpg

So have installed the decking - it comes as a single very thin sheet and had a couple of small breakages. Also managed to do some deck painting without ruining everything, plus added some deck furniture in terms of cleats, and now mid way through railings.

A lot of my shortcuts made earlier are starting to come back to bite! However, still chugging and pleased with progress.

IMG_20180218_123914.jpg

IMG_20180218_134852.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

great work there!  How many building hours so far?

It must be great building such a beautifull model once you have expirience it on board!

I bought my self this model same dealer as you did. Planning maybe next year when Hermione finishes to start with with.

Your work is fine and am going to follow you step by step. Wish you all the best and enjoy it... its really a fantastic ship and a great modell.

Christos

Slow progress due to a combination of too much work and then holidays. I'm done with the majority of the deck furniture now. Will start installing soon. And getting a bit nervous looking ahead to the mast/yards/sails/rigging :s

Major/minor disaster is I've misplaced the two reels of thread/rope. Need to somehow find these for this project not to hit the rocksIMG_20180415_085726.thumb.jpg.4639a7bf598c87519f205a495b7b4164.jpg

IMG_20180415_085740.jpg

58 minutes ago, MESSIS said:

great work there!  How many building hours so far?

It must be great building such a beautifull model once you have expirience it on board!

I bought my self this model same dealer as you did. Planning maybe next year when Hermione finishes to start with with.

Your work is fine and am going to follow you step by step. Wish you all the best and enjoy it... its really a fantastic ship and a great modell.

Christos

Hi Christos, thank you! kind of you to say, and congrats on your purchase. It's a fantastic kit.

I'm really enjoying building the model and each little part takes me back to being on the ship.

Not sure how many hours to be honest. Typically quite a few each weekend and then maybe once or twice in evenings during the week. Started in Jan.

Just hope to find the pieces I've mislaid... I may ask you to take a picture of them for me if I can't find so I can source something similar!

thank you for your response Marc,

I am always to your disposal for any pictures or anything else I could help you with your work. (I have some translations of the instructions) I would appreciate it if you give me a link of the translation app you mentioned.

Just ask.

I am sure you know that Sir Winston now belongs to a cruising inst. somewhere in agean sea. Am going to try and visit the vessel. I never had the chance to see it  ecxept out of videos and pictures.

Las Summer I went to Rochefort France to visit the ship am building since last March.... Frigate Hermione.

have a nice Sunday afternoon

Christos

ps. did you used the Tamiya paints as woody joe suggests? Was a 100ml TS-14 black sufficient? (woody joe - concerning only TS-14- suggests as quantity 2x100ml (???)!

Edited by MESSIS

Hi Christos,

Yes, I used the Tamiya paints. The single 100ml TS-14 was sufficient as it basically a couple of coats on top of a primer for the hull. Still quite a bit left. If anything, I've gone short on the white spray paints and the white enamel vs. suggested.

The translation app I used is called 'Yomiwa'. I'm using it on my Android phone. The instructions are pretty clear - just a couple of points when you need to be careful to check positioning rather than glue in place - normally indicated in red text.

I'm on a big hunt as I've lost the 2? reels of 'rope'/thread, in fact anything which seems required for the ratlines, ropes etc. I've got stuck as can't find green #10 rope for the 2x lifeboat tarps. Fairly sure I'm missing green #8 too. Please could you share a couple of pics of these parts as I might try and find something similar if my search doesn't pan out. About to go and check the kid's arts and craft draws!

Thanks,

Marc

hi Marc,

so here is what I got:

in the packing are 4 reels two are smaller. Three are black and the one (one of the two bigger) is brown or better is beige. The instructions and part list call it "tea".

Parts list  position #8 "rope black fine" (I mesuared apr. 0.5 mm thickness) (its a small reel, 7m long as state on the label of the reel)

and position #10 "rope tea" (as you see its the beige one) (I mesuared again apr. 0.5 mm thick) and its a big reel, 60m long as stated on.

attach picture of ropes packing label and both ropes

hope that helps.... if anything you are always wellcome to come back

20180416_073033.jpg

20180416_073019.jpg

20180416_073101.jpg

Edited by MESSIS