Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

While awaiting my order from Crown Timberyard, I used what I could from my remaining stash of boxwood strip to plank the inner bulwarks. I used 1/16" strip for the spirketting and 1/32" strip for the remaining planking.This was fussy work because of the need to fit the planking around not only the gunports, but the numerous sweep ports as well.

After the planking was installed and sanded, it was painted, using four brush coats of Vallejo carmine red, lightly sanding between coats. Since I still don't have the wood for the exterior hull planking, I'm going to plank the deck next.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_811.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_812.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_813.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_814.jpeg

the inner bulwarks look super Bob........very clean and neat ;)   I notice that your hull planking and the bulwark strip weren't the same thickness.  you could plank the bulwarks with 1 mm and the hull with .5 mm to even it out.  it would also thicken the bulwarks.   I've encountered this in the past......usually sanding the line flush with a lot of elbow grease.  this may take a lot of extra work out of the equation.   I'm sure you have a plan for this,  but I thought I'd throw it out there,  in case it's something you might not have considered.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Denis and the "likes".

Denis ,the upper hull will be planked with 1/32" boxwood strips. This will bring the bulwark strip even with the lower planking. The wale which is directly below the bulwark strip ,will be built up with another layer of planking. I'm not doing a second planking below the wale.  Everything should work out fine. 

Bob

She is coming along really nicely  red certainly sits nicely on the bulwarks.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice work on the hull Bob,

looking forard to the next sequences....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

It looks good. Are you going to do anything special with the lintels and the sills of the gunports?

I left them as the directions called for. I think it is something that if I had to do it over again, I would dress them up a bit.

Thank you,

Tim I.

I've now completed the deck planking. The deck is planked with holly strips. I decided to plank over the openings in the subdeck and mount the deck furniture items on the deck, rather than inset them into the planking. The caulking is simulated with pencil on one side and one end of each plank. After the planking was complete, I "treenailed" the deck using the drill and fill method.The holes are #75, filled with golden oak filler. The deck was then finished with Wipe-on Poly. The next step was to add the waterway, which was done with 1/4 round strip that I had on hand. The waterway was painted red and then glued in place. Lastly, I touched up the bulwark paint, as necessary, as result off-me less than careful sanding of the deck.

Next up will be the planking of the upper outer hull.

Bob

i ha

fullsizeoutput_823.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_824.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_825.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_826.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_827.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_828.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_829.jpeg

Thanks so much Dave,  Grant and the "likes". Greatly appreciated, particularly because recent health issues have caused me to lose confidence in my ability to do quality work at this time.

Bob

sorry to hear your not feeling up to par Bob.......you did a great job on the deck in spite of it though!   as always you've maintained your clean quality workmanship.

hopes yas feel better soon  :) 

....and if ya does have a blooper.......do as I does.......hide it wid a rope coil  ;)   AK-k-k-k-k-k-!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Bob, your deck looks great . . . clean and crisp as ever. No need to worry about your outstanding craftsmanship. I am sorry to hear about you having health problems. I hope you get over them quickly and continue with the expansion of your model fleet :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Yes indeed bob  get well soon,   your friendship on here with us all  so outways any loss of quality  you feel may be lacking,  you are doing a wondeful job,  keep well and good health to you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks so much Denis, thomas and OC for the kind comment, good wishes and votes of confidence, and thanks also to the "likes". I'm hoping to be doing better soon, both in my health and my modeling.Thanks again for the encouragement.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I've now done the upper hull planking. This is all of the planking above the wales.This was done with boxwood strip from the reopened Crown Timberyard. .Just as good as before. Fitting between the gunports and around the sweep ports was a pain, but not that difficult. After an initial sanding, I aded treenails by drlll and fill, using #75 holes and walnut filler. I'm not all that happy with the results, but in my current circumstances, I have no reason to believe that it would come out better if I did it all over again  :(:( The final step was to finish with Wipe-on Poly.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_830.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_82b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_82d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_82e.jpeg

Another option may be Model Monkey on Shapeways. He does both US and British 32 pound carronades in your scale, although they are 1805 designs. Here's a link: https://modelmonkey.wixsite.com/modelmonkey/1-16-1-200-scales

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Joshua.I've been thinking about carronades. Since my intention is to mount them on sleds, rather than carriages, the kit guns will require extensive modification. Replacement may be easier. I appreciate your offer and would be interested to see what you come up with.

Bob

bulwarks and transom looks good Bob :)   neat and tidy!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: