Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks so much Martin and the "likes".Martin, I'm feeling somewhat better, but it's still affecting my modeling.

A couple of things accomplished. First, I added the wales. These were done with 1/16"x 1/8" boxwood strips. Although the instructions call for single strips of 1/16"x 1/4" on each side, I went to two strips to make bending and fitting easier. Scale length pieces were used for the same reason. The upper edge of the top strip was painted black before mounting to ease masking and painting. After the wales were mounted and painted, I then painted the area between the wales and the waterline black, as well.I got a little sloppy at the waterline, but that should be no problem ,since the copper will sharply define that line. Modelmaster acrylic engine black was used for all of the painting.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_831.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_832.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_833.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_834.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_836.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_837.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_838.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_839.jpeg

Looks Nice, Bob. Painting the upper edge of the wales first is a good idea. I always find cutting in or masking at a change of plane to be very difficult. What I have done in the past is place the masking tape about 1/32" above the point where the two surfaces meet, which works pretty well, but next time I think I'll try your approach and paint the edge of the wales first.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

glad to see your making progress Bob........great way to avoid having to mask her up to paint.   I too hope you feel better soon  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great progress, Bob! And beautifully executed. It is always amazing to me to see how the looks of a hull changes as soon as black as a 'contrasting' color is applied. 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I have now made up and installed the cap rail.The bow pieces were cut from boxwood sheet, using card templates, as was the piece over the transom.The remainder was done with boxwood strip, wet heat bent to shape.The entire rail was painted black, using Modelmaster acrylic engine black, with multiple coats , lightly sanded in between coats.

I also took the opportunity, before deck furniture creates obstructions, to drill the holes for and add the eyebolts for the gun tackle rigging. I also drilled the holes for the gun breeching line ringbolts, but these won't be added until the guns are mounted.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_83d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83c.jpeg

She is looking so nice - really tidy work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

good think'in to get all that drill'in out of the way........looks great with the cap rails ;)    really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I've now coppered the lower hull. As I've said in recent updates, I'm not very confident about my current ability to do precision work. As a result, I opted to simplify the coppering process   . I used  the self adhesive copper tape and applied it in full length strips, rather than cutting it into individual plates. I scribed the plate lines in after the strips were applied. I also chose not to attempt to simulate nailing of the plates. I think the overall impression at this scale is OK, but definitely not as good as it would be if done more correctly. I've also chosen not to treat the copper. After looking at my Essex, which was done a few years ago, and left untreated, I like the way that the copper has aged naturally and will be happy if this model does the same.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_83e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_840.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_841.jpeg

nice coppering job Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That's a very nice job, Bob. I think leaving the nail heads off looks just fine.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

It looks darn nice Bob. I haven’t tried coppering yet but it looks like a real challenge.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

you jest Bob....the coppering looks super!  very well done.   at this small a scale, the nails might have been overkill.   if I did one that looked half as good as yours......I'd be beaming  :)   your PDN looks awesome thus far!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very well done, Bob! Without your description I never would have guessed that the plates are inscribed. As usual I just was blown away by the speed of your progress! :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Very nice job on the coppering!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks so much Denis, Thomas and GrandpaPhil for the nice thoughts, and thanks also to the "likes".

Thomas, I had occasion to look back at your Syren coppering. I only wish that mine looked like that.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Work is now completed on a bunch of items. These include the catheads, channels, hawse holes, pin rails, knightheads, timberheads and the rudder and tiller.

The rudder is the kit piece ,shaped and tapered, and coppered on it's lower portion. The pintles and gudgeons are shown by strips copper tape with nail holes punched in. All of the other items are made from boxwood strip,  cut, filed and drilled as appropriate to the various parts. All of the items were glued and pinned to the hull.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_844.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_845.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_846.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_84a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_847.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_848.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_849.jpeg

look'in really good Bob!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Bob -- The black trim of the planksheer & the wales contrasting with the copper bottom really bring out the sleek lines of this fast ship! 

Well done -- You're building a very attractive model!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel