Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

As your Florida neighbor asks "do you ever sleep". You are a prolific and masterful modeler that makes kit modeling come alive. I am amazed at your and others productivity that seem to produce at "warp speed". In that light we have one group member that starts at about 10:00 at night when the house is quiet. If I started at that time I would likely nod off and hurt myself. Wished I lived closer so I could look over your shoulder to understand your work process.

Joe

There's no big secret Joe. As an old, retired person, I have a lot of time. What appears to be working quickly, is really just working slowly --  a lot.  😉😀

Bob

rats look awesome BoB!    merry belated Christmas.......hope you had a super one!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy New Year to all.

For reasons that are not clear even to me, I began work on the yards with the main boom and gaff.Each was made from dowel, appropriately tapered. The gaff has strip wood jaws and a parrel made from very small beads. the boom is mounted with a gooseneck made from two eyebolts. Boom rigging consists  of topping lifts and sheets. The gaff rigging has peak and throat halyards and vangs.  I have chosen to omit much of the sail rigging, although I will probably do some limited amount on the square yards.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8cd.jpeg

IMG_0227.JPG

fullsizeoutput_8cf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8d1.jpeg

Amazing work bob  - truly first class, what an inspiration you are to the rest of us.

Happy New Year  to you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking good!  Well done!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

A small update. I made, mounted and rigged the main topsail and topgallant yards. The yards were made from dowel, tapered and shaped. Cleats were added, as required and jackstay eyebolts and rods  were also added. Footropes were added to the topsail yard only. The only rigging to the topgallant yard is the halyard and parrel rope. The topsail yard has the parrel rope, the tie and halyard and lifts. I'm leaving the topsail braces for later.

I'm now in the middle of making up the yards for the fore mast.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8db.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8e1.jpeg

awesome work Bob  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Work on yards and rigging continues. I have now made and added the fore royal and topgallant yards and the gaff. The rigging is comparable to the same yards previously done  on the mainmast. I have added the braces from both of the topgallant yards. All of the lines have been temporarily tied off, pending the completion of the fore mast yards and rigging.

Next, and last, will be the  fore lower and topsail yards.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8e9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8e5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8e7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8e8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8ea.jpeg

Truly first class work bob  - beautiful.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great work Bob! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

With this update, I can report that PdN is now finished. I completed the masting and rigging by making,  mounting and rigging the fore topsail and fore lower yards.  I added all of the remaining braces and, lastly, added the anchors.

If I seem to be abbreviating my description of this work, it is because I am just glad to be done with this model for a couple of reasons. The first, and less important reason is that this is a poor kit with bad plans and instructions. The more significant reason is that this was a very difficult year for me health wise and this impacted both my ability to perform the work and my enjoyment of it. I cut too many corners and failed to do too many things that I should have, leaving me unsatisfied with the result. It is my least favorite build of the last number of years.

The attached photos are of the most recent work. I will post some final photos of the completed model shortly.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8f4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8f6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8fa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_900.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_902.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_903.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8f3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8fc.jpeg

I agree it's a terrible kit, but nevertheless it's a very beautiful ship and makes a handsome model when it's done as well as you've done it. Congratulations, and here's to improved health in 2019!

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati