Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Bob,

I hope you are feeling better. Your mastery of the art certainly out shines any disappointment you may have in the kit. It has been a pleasure watching this one coming together and knowing what perseverance it must have taken makes it that much more special. I can't wait to see what is next.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Edited by Osmosis

Bob,

Congratulations on a beautiful build.  While it may not come up to your (very high) standards, it looks absolutely

terrific to me.  Hope your health problems are behind you and you can take up another, better build in the near

future.

Jim 

The kit is perhaps terrible but the result is beautiful. Congratulations on this handsome model. I am amazed at your work and hope that you will have fun again on your next project.

Best regards

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Looks great Bob.  Might have been a poor kit, but sure turned out to be a beautiful model in your skilled hands.

Hope 2019 treats you better :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Bad kit or not; that is still an excellent, high class build.  You should be proud.

I hope your health improves and continue to build models.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Well done Bob. I agree with your assessment of the kit too...

Hopefully this year is better for you health wise!

Edited by jwvolz

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Congratulations on yet another fine build Bob, despite the best efforts of the kit manufacturer!

Here’s wishing you improved health and greater enjoyment of your modelling in 2019.

Congratulations, Bob! Another beautiful addition to your fleet! I said it before, but I am always in awe of the speed of your builds in combination with your ability to achieve this fantastic quality, which all of your models exhibit! 

Of course now the question comes up, what's next? 🙂

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Bob,

I can’t speak for quality of the kit, but your model was a lot of the inspiration for choosing the Prince de Neufchatel as my first scratch build.  I also referenced it frequently when I had difficulty interpreting the plans or figuring out how to assemble my model (for instance, figuring out how to attach the stern).  So, well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I honestly think you did an amazing job bob,   I hope your health does not get in the way too much  and you next build brings you more enjoyment.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Many, many thanks to all of you for the very generous comments, the kind words about my health , and the "likes". It is this kind of response that makes MSW a gathering of friends, rather than just a modeling website. I can't express the depth of my appreciation. At my age (approaching 80), it is hard not to temper optimism about future health with a dose of reality, but I am optimistic.

As to future modeling efforts, I had been hoping that Chuck's Winnie would be ready at this point to provide me with what would likely be my last major project.  Since this isn't the case, I need to go to Plan B. Unfortunately, I still don't have one.  I'm open to suggestions.

Bob

Hi Bob, a simple hit on the like button will not do. Your work is truly a benchmark for many of us.

Regarding the project to come, if I were to decide why not proceed by elimination : a fully rigged 3-master or something smaller ?  Which scale do you have in mind ?

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

While you’re waiting for the Winnie, Bob, maybe a Medway Longboat or a Royal Barge from Chuck would help to fill the time?

Hi Bob,

Ah you did a wonderful job despite the kits shortcomings. Here's to better health in 2019 and a better kit to build next! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Bob,

The result is terrific.  If this is your least favorite (?!) you have indeed set an extremely high bar for yourself.  I wish you the best of health in 2019 and beyond, and hope you have many more "one last build" with which to share your deep reservoir of talents.

Thank you for giving us hopes and dreams.

Steve

Hi Bob -- As a builder of the Prince, I concur with your assessment of the kit.  It's old, has not been updated, and so falls far short of what many people have come to expect from a kit -- especially now that Syren is producing some very interesting projects.

But, and this a a major but, as every one else attests, you've taken a poor kit and have done more than most of us could do!

I'm a bit behind you in years, but blurred vision has begun to make those details at 1:64 almost impossible to gauge.  Still these builds provide a quiet means of slow and steady attention.  You're one of the real craftspeople on this site, Bob.

Three cheers for another fine accomplishment.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

congratz Bob on such a beautiful model :)   I fail to see your reflection of the kit.......you've done such a masterful job with it.  I hope your ills have subsided and feeling better...I know you've been plagued with your health.  but that didn't seem to have any effects on the cleanliness your work.  I hope that one day, I can build 'em to the level that your at.   I hope to see another of your wonderful projects ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Chrismeyer and Vossiewulf.

Good luck on your build Chrismeyer, and you should start a build log. A very helpful way to ask questions and get feedback.

Vossiewulf, after considering a lot of options, including plastic airplanes etc., I've now committed to two new projects, Chuck's Medway longboat, and a semi-scratch brigantine Lexington, starting with a Lumberyard mini-kit.

Bob

All the very best on your new builds bob.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Well that didn't take very long. I hope we can take this as a sign that you are feeling better.

Can't wait to see them Bob.

Best Regards

Bob, 

Both of those seem like great projects.  I have watched Chuck's kit come to being and would dearly love to try it myself.  Of course, right now, my full concentration is on Fair American.  

I will be following both of your projects as you work on them.  Your build logs are always informative, instructive and just plain fun to read.

Cheers,

Jim, 

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Fred,Cambridge Md said:

Help. I have been working on this model off and on for about 5 years. Got well into it, hull, deck equipment. But somE where in a recent move I lost my plans. Does anyone know where there may be a place to find, purchase borrow or find on line??

Fred

Cambridge Md

I'm still working on my PdN but tell me what you need - written instructions or plans?

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

• The title was changed to Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64