Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I will begin by explaining my choice of this kit. As some of you may be aware from my posts in other logs, I have really been taken by the barque Stefano kit from Marisstella. I decided, however, that I am no longer capable of, nor willing to commit to, such a large, complex multi-year build with endless rigging. My age (78) and diminishing dexterity in my hands, just seemed to rule out such a project. When I started Halifax, I had pretty much decided to go with smaller vessels in larger scales, but upon looking around for my next project, I couldn't really find anything that I wanted to do that would fill those criteria. I came across the Prince de Neufchatel (PdN) kit on E-bay (it has been out of production for a number of years), and it seemed to be something of a compromise for my goals. While the model is large and at 1:64 scale, it is a fairly open and straightforward build with a rig that would not be as challenging to me as the Stefano.

I bought the kit as brand new in it's original sealed box and was delighted to find that the keel former and bulkheads, although 12+ years old, were straight and true and good to go. I will spare you all from another display of kit contents, as they have been shown in other logs here. I am attaching a copy of the photo from the kit box. I have not fully figured out what I intend to do to enhance the kit, but some things are fairly certain: I will plank the upper hull with boxwood, plank the deck with holly and copper the lower hull. I expect to use boxwood to replace the kit wood for the deck furniture and will certainly use Syren blocks and rope for the rigging. Other changes may be made as well.

I've cleared away the debris from the Halifax build, and I'm ready to go. I hope you will join me for the ride.

Bob

Please count me in bob,  I will bring a nice comfy chair that you are more than welcome to use if you wish.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great choice Bob, she's a beautiful ship. Anxious to see what you do with her. It's been a few years since I built mine, and there are certainly things I would do differently now, so I'll enjoy seeing how you approach this. 

Good luck!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Bob, I'm excited to see her in your hands!  I will enjoy watching and learning.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Hi Bob,

I'm really pleased to hear about your PdeN! I am about to start mine. Like you I found it on eBay and I'm really taken with the beauty of this ship. So far, I have pored over the plans and have written out my list of rigging instructions to follow. I don't plan on making as many changes to the wood as you are going to make, but there are a few things I am going to change.

I'm really looking forward to following your progress as we should more or less be at similar points throughout.

David 

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

You sure don't waste any time bob. I'm looking forward to watching your build progress.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Hi Bob,

Very nice choice for your new build. As with everyone else I'm eager to see you progress.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Welcome aboard guys. Great to have you along.

Joe, as with Granado, your build of PdN was an inspiration to my choice.

Doug and David: It will be great to be working alongside you on this one.

Al, at my age I don't have any time to waste. :D

Bob

I was waiting patiently for the log to start.....I'm in!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You're right Bob, there's no time to lose... waste time on what you love!

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

I’m in! Always a pleasure to follow one of your builds Bob.

11 hours ago, rafine said:

I am attaching a copy of the photo from the kit box

I think you might have forgotten the photo though.....

Edited by gjdale

Hi Bob

This place is getting crowded, I'm afraid. I'll  follow anayway and enjoy the ride as so many others.

PdN is an excellent choice. I love her elegant lines and it's a pity this kit is no longer in production.

On the other hand, I fear for the amount of shipping costs towards the old continent.

Have fun !

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Hi Bob,

I wish you a good start with the PdN and much fun with the build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Another welcome aboard to all of you.

Joshua, I've been following your log, and I'm in good company.

Grant, I have no idea what happened to the photo, but here it is .

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7ec.jpeg

Reporting for the crew, sir. Looks like another fine build coming up.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm pulling up a barrel also, Bob.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I'm also on board. It will be a great model. I have a lot to learn.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Hey Bob.  Looks like an interesting ship.  I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.

Can't wait to follow along.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

My first actual progress was the usual mundane work of preparing and assembling the keel former and the bulkheads. I found that it only required relatively minor adjustments by sanding to get a good fit. My principal concerns at this point were to get the deckline right by fitting and sanding as I added each bulkhead and, of course, to mount them square. I use two heavy steel squares to square the bulkheads and then add square strip wood bracing. I have no doubt that, whether as a result of poor parts or my own errors, there will be need for considerable fairing and some shimming to get an even outer surface for planking. Frankly, over the years, I've come to expect that. With the exception of Chuck's almost perfect keel former and bulkheads for Cheerful, that is the rule.

My next tasks will be to add additional bracing between the bulkheads, to box in the mast holes and to add the false deck.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_7ed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ee.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7f0.jpeg

quite a few bulkheads...that will insure a nice contour ;)   should be a joy to plank when you get the faring done.   nice progress so far!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Dave, Joshua, Denis, Zappto and the "likes".

Joshua, I wish I could tell you where I got them, but it's been about 20 years and I can barely remember what I had for lunch today. :P

Bob

You can get those from Micromark, but probably from a hardware store as well. 

https://www.micromark.com/2-x-2-x-2-Inch-Angle-Plate

Russ

Edited by russ

Thats a great start bob,   and as you say - its the stage we all go through, but crutial and so important to get it all strong and lined up equal to each other,   I love the closeness of the bulkheads,  that should help no end  - wish more kits did that.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks so much OC and the "likes". I agree with you OC, the number of bulkheads should be a big help.

Russ, my angle plates (now that I know what they're called) are 3 x 3 x 3 rather than 2 x 2 x 2 and  the Micromark ones are $21 dollars each, which seems rather high, and far more than I can imagine that I spent. But then again, it was a long time ago, so who knows?

Bob

Bob:

They sell them in 1", 2", and 3". The price does seem dear, but they will always be correct and that is something to think about. It may be that they can gotten elsewhere for less though, so it pays to shop around. 

Russ