Linen yarn is available for ropewalk stock

Jaager

First,  now (2/16/18) on Ebay

linen yarn in retail quantity

Nm 26/1  = 40 Lea     3 stand layup result at 1:48 =  dia.  between 0.75-0.9 in.   circ. between 2.4-2.8  in.   ( I have measured 30/1 and 45/1 yarn)

Nm 21/1  =  35 Lea

The following are available in wholesale quantities:

from Etsy  seller  StoffGarnConneXion  in Schwalmtal, Germany

The weight per unit is ~ 1 kg cone  shipping to US alone is ~$50 / unit

closest result @ 1:48 by my measurement

Nm     Lea                A       B     C                  dia.       circ.             spool  

36*    60                62/1    3     0.012           0.6        1.9            $58         
30*    50               45/1     3     0.016           0.75      2.4            $75            

24*    40                                                                                    $32
20*    33               30/1    3      0.019           0.9        2.8            $52
12*    20               14/1    3      0.027           1.3        4               $48 
10*    17               16/1    3      0.04             1.9        6               $43  
15/2   25/2           20/2    3      0.033           1.6        5                $92  

A  yarn size in lea

B  # strands turned

C  actual diameter as measured as rotations per inch on a dowel

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

J

Thanks for the link.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I have a ropewalk on order and was looking for yarn for experimenting.  I have a supply of fine linen and cotton yarns from our home weaving studio.  The finest is labelled 28/2 which yields 7200 meters/kilo. I checked our sources for weaving yarns and discovered 90/2 (27,200 m/kg) , 60/2 (18,000 m/kg) and 35/2 (10,600 m/kg) lace linen in black and in natural.

These are sold in small spools of about 250 m for around $8.  One source is Vavastuga located in Massachusetts.

Once I receive the ropewalk and the lace yarn I will do a few experiments and post some results.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Doug,

Looking forward to your results 250m $8 will go easier on the wallet.

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Londonderry linen thread is a high quality linen thread with a smooth finish and also comes in sizes as small as 80/3 and a few colors in 100/3 and sold in small spools of 12-50m, each spool costs less than $3.  It's available online from Threadneedle Street, located in Issaquah WA.  Their website has numerous pages, this is the direct link to the page with the linen thread.  Scroll to bottom for colors to make rope.   https://www.threadneedlestreet.com/linthrd.htm

There's also have a pdf guide for rigging:  https://www.threadneedlestreet.com/LINEN RIGGING.pdf 

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Dee Dee

Thanks for that one, as more info pops up with contacts and price goes down. Love this siite.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 2 months later...

it's taken a long time to get back to the rope making experiments.  I have done a few trials both to learn the tools and to evaluate the ropes that I can make with the yarns at hand.

I'm using a Domanoff Planetary Ropewalk for the fine yarns and then the Domanoff Prosak v3 for the heavier rope (made from the strands that came off the Planetary).  

The threads I've tried out are the 90/2 lace linen, 60/2 lace linen, and some ne50 Cotton.  The cotton tread is Gutermann ne50 packaged for quilting machine in 800 meter spools.  The cost was under $10CDN

The ropewalks allow 3 or 4 strand ropes at each stage (with or without centre-core)  I've started to make a table of resulting rope sizes in various configurations but have not done an exhaustive list.

I was disappointed in the 60/2 black linen as it was quite dull in appearance and somewhat "slubby".  Oddly enough the 90/2 linen (tan) and 60/2 linen (tan) both produced good rope.   The cotton rope was also quite good.

The smallest rope I've made has been  0.015"  the largest 0.047"  

Here some of the ropes shown coiled on a dowel to measure diameters

IMG_2917.jpg.99f1ba4eed1c75fa5fcaa8d1ad670be7.jpg

DSC_9905.jpg.081cdb9b0f8367842024d4aab3f89816.jpgDSC_9908.jpg.9cbea2a1aec5fd1408e6986c3b37fd00.jpgDSC_9909.jpg.f12bbbeee0747bce2842ba601db293a5.jpgDSC_9910.jpg.05ee11a10b9d20d3d64d765d2689483d.jpg

I'm using some of the cotton rope 3 strands of (ne50 3 strand) .8mm (.032") for my Essex Cross-section shrouds.  It is on the left - the rope on the right is .025" from Syren Ship Model Company ( the closest size that I have).

DSC_9998.jpg.ee6113ee7f9ebc08bd22b4814e552016.jpg

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Looks nice, but the lay seems a little loose. Its angle should be closer to 45 degrees. If the tensions are correct, the line won't unravel when cut.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks - new to the process and still learning.  I have over-twisted on a few attempts so I'm probably over-compensating somewhat. When you refer to "tensions" are you saying each strand having equal tension or are you suggesting additional weight to increase tension on all the strands?  I'm presuming the latter.

Doug

I am not sure how either one of those machines work.  But Druxey is correct.  Those ropes are laid up too loosely. When referring to the tension, I would suggest increasing the amount of twists on the the three strands (or four) initially....this will build up more tension and energy.  Then you will be able to twist all three or four strands together more (in the opposite direction) and it will keep the more tightly laid up state.  There will be more opposing tensions created to keep the rope nice and tight.  Its the opposing tensions that keep the rope from untwisting and also nice and tightly laid up.  The rule to remember is....the more initial twists of the individual strands will allow you more twists in the opposite direction when you lay up the final rope.  Here is a fresh .025 tan that I just finished making.  You can see how much tighter it is laid up.  Hope this helps.

lightbrown.jpg

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.  Good explanation.  I'm certainly using Syren rope as my benchmark to determine when I eventually get it right!  It's kinda fun trying.  Being a bit of a technophile it is appealing to me to tryout these various tools.

Doug