New Guy

degriz1

New member here, My name is Lou and recently finished my first wood ship model. A little background on me, recently retired, 60 yr. old with plenty of free time. 

I have an array of building tools left to me from my father who built a few model ships as well as some in bottles. I wish I had paid more attention growing up I might of learned something, all the questions he could of answered now come from Forums and web sites, glad they are available.  We did build some  RC aircraft together and I still like to fly them but decided it was time to try a ship, had it sitting for the past 6 months.

I purchased an older die cut  Artesania Latina Virginia Pilot Boat 1805 because the buy it now price was to good to pass at $30. I figured I won't be out that much $ if I had to use it for a Viking funeral. I made plenty of mistakes and covered up a lot as well but was still happy I finished it. 

Now the grand kids have seen it and want ship models, I decided a few easy kits would fit the bill, and after reading up decided on the Midwest boats Muskongus bay lobster smack and Chesapeake bay Flattie. 

Maybe down the road after these two are finished I might dive into something more challenging, I did enjoy the building and would like something a little bigger next time. 

swift.jpg

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lou,

Do-overs seem to part and parcel to model ship building.  Sometimes is because of errors and other times it's because we know we can do better.    So don't get upset or feel bad about ripping off something to do it again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Lou

You have a very good looking model there. I'm looking forward to the rest of the fleet. Besides it gives me a chance to see "Lou" making nice models.

Lou

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Lou I also started building model ships at the tender young age of 60. It is amazing how we gain patience as we get older, isn't it?