Greetings from Arizona

deaz

I'll start off by saying I've finished my first wooden model boat. An A.L. Swift 1805. I started it a few years back, then due to planking frustrations, life, etc. it was set aside. The unfinished model always lurked in the back of my mind; needing a distraction from life events that were out of my control, I pulled it out of storage about 6 months ago. I decided despite my mistakes (there have been many) I was going to finish it. 

I pushed through, telling myself that it was my first wooden model, there were going to be mistakes, it's part of the learning process. I started having fun, really enjoying the process. And as of last week, it was completed.  Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out for a 1st timer, I learned lots, still have lots to learn. But I think more than anything, I've grown to enjoy the process rather than the final result. At 35 years old, I have time to become better. 

I think I will take some time off before starting the next model, but am looking forward to the next one. I have a couple on the shelf to choose from (bought several years ago on a whim, they were on sale...). I find myself leaning towards Corel's Flying Fish, alot more challenging than the Swift, but I still think it's doable with my skills where they're at. 

So without further ado, here is the less than perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out, Swift... 

IMG_20180215_210434.jpg.348efb30e5b10580364fcac5686b27a4.jpgIMG_20180215_210527.jpg.654d8a4b3fa448a24fbbc87f4610cc07.jpgIMG_20180215_210510.jpg.76e9e35e57d4076b088cee008671acfb.jpgIMG_20180215_210450.jpg.e41f49c93ccb486cc81803728f17036a.jpg

Hi

Well done!

This was my first kit in 1997 and had to laugh ....... because reading your 1st two paragraphs reminds me that I had the same experience of mistakes and frustration. 

Recall I was really, really upset that after completing the planking of the hull, the pieces that had to be fitted on each side of the bow (not sure the name) where the anchor chain came through from the deck did not fit properly due to my incorrect planking.   I didn't touch the ship for about a year because of this but finally talked myself back to the table as you did  - it was my 1st kit, mistakes apart of the learning process, so just continue on.   I re sized these 2 pieces and completed.   Today I am happy with how my kit turned out.   

Since then have completed 3 other kits. 

Thanks for the post and enjoy the hobby and this site. 

GBL

Blaine

Current build:

US Brig Syren

Completed builds:

AL Swift

Mamoli Britannia

AL Harvey

AL Bounty

Future builds:   

HMS Fly, Mercury (Russian Brig), Cutty Sark (Mantua) and a Euromodel Como ship.

10 minutes ago, gbl said:

This was my first kit in 1997 and had to laugh ....... because reading your 1st two paragraphs reminds me that I had the same experience of mistakes and frustration. 

Recall I was really, really upset that after completing the planking of the hull, the pieces that had to be fitted on each side of the bow (not sure the name) where the anchor chain came through from the deck did not fit properly due to my incorrect planking.   I didn't touch the ship for about a year because of this but finally talked myself back to the table as you did  - it was my 1st kit, mistakes apart of the learning process, so just continue on.   I re sized these 2 pieces and completed.   Today I am happy with how my kit turned out.   

Ugh! So many mistakes... I laugh now, but at the time... Those pieces you're referring to, I worked really hard at getting them to fit, and still look like they belonged. 

And the holes that were suppose to go through to the deck for the anchor ropes/chains, I couldn't figure out why the instructions were calling for a 0.5mm hole...but I drilled them as 0.5 only after stringing the rope for the anchors and finding some additional fittings did I figure out they should have been 5.0mm. I left them; artists discretion, right?!

Add a few other mistakes found in the plans, the last 6 months weren't without their own frustrations, but I made it through. And like I said, learned to enjoy the process.  

Welcome!

Having built the Flying Fish myself, I'd very strongly suggest you consider something else as a 2nd project. The FF is, in my opinion (for whatever that's worth), one of the worst kits on the market. My example was a mess of terrible instructions ('translated' from Italian), poorly printed rigging diagrams, poor quality and period-inappropriate fittings, and some of the worst wood I've ever seen in a kit. Corel's higher-priced offerings are often well spoken of, but I think they cut a lot of corners on FF to keep the price down.

Cheers,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for the head's up ccoyle. I've already got the kit, had it for 5-6 years sitting on the shelf waiting for me to finish the Swift. I've been looking over the instructions and plans and already realized the instruction booklet wasn't going to be much help. I hadn't made it to the rigging diagrams yet. As a mechanical engineer by day, I'm quite use to incomplete, inadequate, sub-par documentation (sometimes my own fault, more often than not someone else's). Most of the time I can figure out what's suppose to go where and such. 

As for this Fish kit, the wood looked pretty good, at least better than the Swift's. Though I'll freely admit, I probably haven't seen a kit with great wood to begin with. As for your other points, at this point in my skill level, I'm not really looking for a ship that's correct in every aspect, I'm looking for something that will allow me to develop the skills (planking) needed for those ships that will cost an arm and a leg, where I expect to have nothing but the best materials, period correctness, etc. 

All that being said, as I start down this next journey, I'm sure I'll be back with questions about how to do this or that and complaints about the kit. At which point you can enthusiastically say "I told you so" because I'd probably say something of the sort if roles were reversed.

Cheers! 

1 hour ago, deaz said:

At which point you can enthusiastically say "I told you so" because I'd probably say something of the sort if roles were reversed.

No fear of that. If you already have the kit, then there's now harm in giving it a go. I heavily modified my kit, but I have seen it built essentially out-of-the-box -- just maybe a little more challenging to do than with some others.

Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome, glad to see another Arizonan on the Forum. If you would like to meet other desert mariners drop me a PM and I'll fill you in.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

32 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

No fear of that. If you already have the kit, then there's now harm in giving it a go. I heavily modified my kit, but I have seen it built essentially out-of-the-box -- just maybe a little more challenging to do than with some others.

Good luck!

Thanks!  I'm not afraid of a challenge, so we'll see how it goes.  

19 minutes ago, markjay said:

Welcome, glad to see another Arizonan on the Forum. If you would like to meet other desert mariners drop me a PM and I'll fill you in.

Sweet, I figured there had to be a few around, certainly going forward I'd like to possibly meet others, maybe learn a thing or two.  I see you're in Phoenix, I'm located in Tucson. 

Deaz, there are 2 clubs in the Phoenix metro area. I'm in Northeastern Phoenix, there is one South in Sun Lakes (smaller group) with good solid experience and the other is in Surprise/Peoria also solid experience. Both groups share and mentor and welcome new folks of all capabilities. It may be worth your while to drop by. Drop me a PM for details.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Wecome to MSW

Well done with your first model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum