Simple Framing Question

My next project I plan to show exposed frames.

Nowhere can I find how thick frames should be. Width and positioning I get. 

It appears that there is a certain amount of taper as you move up from the keel. So there must be some formulation for that too.  

There must be architectural standards somewhere.  Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Which ship?   The thickness/width, etc. was a function of ship type, nation, contracts, and size (length and breadth).

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The real answer to this question is “it depends.”  First the standardized framing shown in the NRG monograph is a stylized model making convention as no one knows how the Lake Champlain row galleys were framed.  Like most war vessels built on the lakes during wartime these were built in a remarkably short time and were considered to be expendable so shortcuts would have been taken.  I personally believe that these galleys may have been built by erecting widely spaced mould frames with filler frames added as planking progressed. These filler frames were probably semi detached segments- quick and dirty but the galleys held together long enough to delay the British.

Framing practice was highly dependent on location and the methods that the shipbuilder was able to use to translate the hull shape in his mind into a finished hull.  The Swan Class Sloops, and Niad Class Frigates being replicated in detail on this forum were built for the British Admiralty where a clear record exists.  Similar documentation exists for vessels built for the French Navy.  Documentation for large American ships built for the US Navy and for merchant vessels built to classification standards in the second half of the Nineteenth Century also exists.  Similar information may exist in the archives of other countries, but if you are trying to build a vessel built before the mid 1800’s in a location other than a government yard you are pretty much on your own. The book Coffins of the Brave includes Archeology evidence for a War of 1812 American Row Galley.

Roger

Lacking any other contemporary information, the sided and moulded (in and out) dimensions of the floors and futtocks can be found in the scantlings of the 1719 and 174 Establishments, the Shipbuilders Repository of 1788 and Steel's Elements and Practices book of 1805.  You can find some of these in Goodwin and a few other books or all of them in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships.  None of these may apply to your ship, but will at least give an idea on how the moulded and sided dimensions reduced as they rise.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU