The Tumblin' Dice by popeye the sailor - Artesania Latina - 1:80 - Mississippi riverboat

:D   thanks Carl!  I did a bit more.

I started to make some of the other parts for the lower deck.   if I get enough filled out,  I will be able to add the second level.   first were the hooks for the coral gates.

5ab6d03a30817_1.jpg.4992f52c3b31b0f98515ab96ef833977.jpg

I made a bunch of them......stain the finished ones with mahogany,  and glue 'em in place.   I cut the coral gate bars as well and stained them too.......sprayed them with gloss lacquer.   where the smoke stacks are to originate from,  are the two large holes in the second level deck.   there are two pieces that will act as a stop for them.

5ab6d49a6f2d7_2.jpg.66f6b1610e67f5171b01537c6f318fac.jpg

the aft structure is not a wide as the forward structure.......to compensate for this,  I added two  posts.....one on each side,  of the aft structure.

5ab6d6b55e331_3.jpg.bcce701d266c4dcc1c0ea50a9b15d012.jpg

as mentioned,  I also began to do the edge stripping around the deck    half of it is now done.

5ab6d7a7cb689_4.jpg.21a63edbbc04429e97a24c4a1b9f9507.jpg

a canopy brace spans both sides of the area between the structures.   they were stained and given a couple coats of gloss lacquer.  here is one of them....they are both in place now

5ab6d8629c3d7_5.jpg.03a073a6db34109832222f736853e4e8.jpg

the bottom coral gate hooks are in place as well........the top pair will be added soon.  the resat of the edging was added to the deck.

5ab6d8ecf0bd1_6.jpg.1c44a092a92c394417477868074ed9fe.jpg

5ab6d8f77e5e6_7.jpg.6561d78915503388998be7c3d52c6271.jpg

I had to run out and get more lacquer.......tried to find it in a bottle or can,  but I guess I'll have to go to Hobby Lobby for that.  I'll settle for the rattle cans for the moment :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Your riverboat is coming along nicely. I am looking forward to seeing what is next. Your details have are quite good. 

Russ

Been catching up with this today Denis. Good stuff as usual!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very nice progress Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the good word Russ,  Jesse,  and Chris :)    I finished banding the deck last night.....a rarity for me during a work week.  I still need to trim where the poles will go and clean up the corners.....it's just about ready for the clear coat {lacquer}.  glad to have you look'in in  :) 

I'll be happy once I'm where you are Chris...your way ahead of me  ;) 

thanks to all who hit the like button  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Piet :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking superb my friend   she is becoming so life like.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 3/19/2018 at 5:11 PM, popeye the sailor said:

for the calking,  I got the idea from our wonderful moderators,  John and Danny.......archive pens.   I get mine from Hobby Lobby,  and have a variety of different tips { I use three of them}.   one time,  I got stupid and left the cap loose,  and almost ruined the pen.  but I bought a bottle of India Ink,  and a couple of squirts revived the pen.

5ab04eefe359a_16.jpg.c36bd1baea4bfce0abfec9a2e552b967.jpg

Thanks Denis went Blicks to day and got these pens. Tried a sample - improvement over the Sharpie THANKS again

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

thanks OC and Patrick........gonna be a broken week.....I have a test to take on Thursday for a new job.   haven't done this type of work for a few years....I hope I can remember it all  ;)   so far today,  I did a bit more on the Norden to finish her up.......for the T.D.,  I want to start doing the planking on the second level structure and a few more things to the first level.   I hope to have something to show very soon here  ;)   thanks for the good word!

you don't have to thank me Michael......I'm just passing it along.  the sharpie ink is a lot thinner,  and will penetrate the wood easily.  it was a great suggestion by our wonderful moderators.  of course by my blunder,  I found that it is easy to revitalize these pens as well,  by simply adding India Ink to them....I let one  dry out by mistake.   I tried the pencil......I tried the crayon.....I've even tried the thin strip mahogany method.  but,  as soon as  I tried the archive pen...I was hooked  ;)   I'm just a humble modeler,  amazed by your work

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

lovely work, i will have to think about the decking  on my build soon

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks Kevin.........haven't done much with her yesterday.   the admiral wanted her treadmill moved out in an open spot of the room,  so I did some rearranging in there.   now I won't hear her complain that I've taken over the room  ;):D 

staining some planking before I go to my test today.........fingers crossed  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks Kevin.........haven't done much with her yesterday.   the admiral wanted her treadmill moved out in an open spot of the room,  so I did some rearranging in there.   now I won't hear her complain that I've taken over the room  ;):D 

Good luck mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Good luck mate.

OC.

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

good luck

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hope the test works well for you, good luck.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks for the good luck wishes.......I wish I had good news to report.   I got the results back the same day...I failed to pass the test.   I had problems with a couple parts of the test,  which I'm sure affected the overall score.   I guess I've been out of the loop too long,,,that and the industry has changed so much.  I quit the garage back in 2000,  to work in a warehouse.   then in 2004,  went to work for Wal Mart transportation,  where I've spent most of my 13 years,  working on trailers.

oh well.....the hunt continues.......or I could try for getting into another facet of the post office.   thanks for the thoughts and wishes  :)  

I've been planking the structures...second and third level.  they are both the same,  so it makes sense to do one,  and then the other,  for the first to dry.  it will keep the conga line going.  I'll have some sort of update for you soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tough break Denis, keep o plugging, something good will show up.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Denis,

So sorry to read this. But as Piet says yup keep on plugging---

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

thanks gents  :)  .......I gave it a shot.   it was suggested to me,  to sit down with a model and lose myself in it.    instead I replaced the radiator in our car.  I yam undaunted.  something else will come along.......you betcha!  ;) 

Friday........I did some of the structure planking for the second and third levels.   if I could multitask.......I'da given the second level deck a lacquer coat.   before I could do the planking,  I needed to cement in place,  the opposite end panel.  I still need to cut out the windows on the other end.

5ac025aecf831_1.jpg.4e091fd82effbf7bd8a4260d4a55cd81.jpg

I soaked this one for a short time...didn't break like the other one.   after sanding it to a rounded appearance,  the planking started.

5ac02615aee30_2.jpg.dddbc5f5ede356dad165247b0aacf50c.jpg

note the plank on the far left.......the first one.  it's lifting....something I dreaded.  I will do something to hold the edge down,  but I think I'll resort to using narrower planking on the ends.  it will navigate the curvature much better.   the third level was an after thought.......it's the same shape....why not!  ;) 

5ac0276f9a7a7_3.jpg.15dd93a3e6a94a628beda5d45f260c1e.jpg

I started just shy of the turn....that way I could start the narrower planking without too much of a bump.   I was also mindful of the tabs too....not leaving as much to trim away after.  so I cut the two wood piles...

5ac0281c6aa57_4.jpg.03f27e46d8e6973e2e9dbc806695ae1e.jpg

changing over to the narrower planking,  I continued with the third level.  we had run an errand,  which gave this time to dry.  lengths were cut in half to go around the windows.

5ac028a5901f3_5.jpg.25e0692c52b2a52740a849a01ad9fe92.jpg

5ac028b49b731_6.jpg.d66d75a867c050e399f47b08ae3e5a63.jpg

....and finding a good place to return to the regular planking,  I kept going around the other side.

5ac028f58d813_7.jpg.00a122f49ec777da81c28080617147cf.jpg

trimming these structures is going to be a nightmare.....I can feel it.   it will get even more interesting when I begin on the windows and doors  ;)   I should finish off the coral gates......

5ac029b675a81_8.jpg.fefd3b49ded82c37578825e30b53aa41.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really impressive work my friend - all those wood panels are really making a huge difference, what a lovely piece of work you are doing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice work Denis.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks OC and piet for the kind comments :)    and thanks to all for the likes.   I haven't gotten much further......but I did do a little trimming.   one more day at work......then it will be play time ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

your build continues to impress me, sorry about the job though

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

thanks Kevin........got a rainy day ahead of me here.   should be able to make some progress today :)   as for the job thing......I'll just keep looking,  that's all  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Making models is much for fun than job hunting !!

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I agree whole heartedly Mike!  :)    working on some progress as we speak!.........gotta let things dry for the moment.   another thing is browsing through your favorite modeling site  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well......I had fun yesterday :)    planking......planking..........and more planking :wacko:   the second level structure is completely planked.

5ac61053bce56_1.jpg.8bfae2d7cc2337e4d61b005fc8b3c079.jpg

I trimmed off what I had done already...exposed the tabs.....and then continued. 

5ac610b4293eb_2.jpg.58fd68be52fc51c209b5dbec3ff49111.jpg

I was very happy to see that the final plank fit comfortably,  joining the plank band together.   couldn't have planned it any better myself......that was the question in my mind,  using the two sizes of planking.   I also finished trimming the stairway area of the second level deck.   once it was ready,  it went to the paint booth, to get two coats of gloss lacquer.

5ac6120ed7217_3.jpg.0779c16ae88536022e7bcbdb294ddfbd.jpg

the stand I made for it is good.......but I need to improve on it.  the hull moves around on it,  making some work done on it a little unstable.  

I first cut the excess wood from it,  to make it look better.

5ac612dc711b8_4.jpg.b5dba3eadf27368ef080f5e43cd88fec.jpg

I marked off the center between the bars of Balsa at both ends,  and made up these two chocks for the keel.

5ac613298243d_5.jpg.6ed6dbc0c346c39ac064bdf243226f77.jpg

while they were drying......I started to trim the excess from the planking.  I used the clippers,  and then sanded the edge flush.

5ac613b11be01_6.jpg.bda9dc7428cabecc3ad713ee6d7d605a.jpg

....I can't wait till I get to the windows and doors.   trimming them out is going to be a chore ;)   I don't recall seeing doors with rounded tops.......they must be metal parts.  I will have to make them scratch,  from wood........I already know that I will that I will need to do  the windows.  in between all this,  I also cut the paddle boards for the wheel.....planning my attack to paint the metal parts.   by this time,  the chocks were dry enough to trim,  sand,  and cement into place.

5ac61548445ce_7.jpg.7b3388b05536ecf140ba54b1848b24ea.jpg

I sanded the bars down a bit,  because the board is warped to a degree.......trying to make up for it.  I'm sure that as more work is done to the model,  it will get heavier,  and will flatten out the stand on it's own.   I may need to file the slot in the chocks to make up for this,  so the keel has the room to sit in the slots fully.   the deck is dry now........has the same sheen as the first level......glad to see that  ;)    it was put aside....it will be cemented on once I can get the hull back on the stand.

5ac616997d6be_8.jpg.eb6870dd42db3cd911e4c9b752dee82a.jpg

this has taken some time........but the windows and doors are almost completely trimmed out.  it's as tedious as I though it would be.

5ac616fe99a86_9.jpg.b45923301203fa75d7f0ec6fd7f079d0.jpg

one last thing I started to create,  is the fender at the bow.   I had been soaking a piece of the mahogany wood for most of the morning.   I got the parts panel for the deck out of the box,  and set it up on a piece of pine wood.  I'm using it to bend the wood to the contour of the deck.

5ac61797630b0_10.jpg.e5f62ce8d881c5e63150afffa15451d3.jpg

I have been very careful not to ruin the panels........sneaky,  sneaky me :ph34r:   I have a 'what if' brewing in the back of my mind.  icky mae  ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by popeye the sailor
just being me

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob........this morning,  I was standing in the kitchen....came up with an idea for the windows.   now for the doors  ;)    thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: