Hi from the north

Torstein

Hi there!

I became a member of this site a few days ago, so thought it would be about time I walked around and shooked hands.

I’m a medium aged guy (I thought medium aged sounded younger than middle aged, not that it matters) from Norway. I have to admit that I haven’t been doing any model building since I was about 10 years old, and even then calling it building is a bit of a stretch. Like for every other kid at that time, plastic kits of fighter planes tendens to appear around christmas time, and ended up in the garbage bin three weeks later as a blob of half-and-half airplane parts and glue. Most of the time at least a quarter of the pieces ended up stuck to my fingers.

Anyways, some 40 years later me and my wife - I understand they are aptly considered as the admirality, had a discussion on what could liven up and function as some sort of decoration up on the loft. As you can see there is some history between these walls, so a bit of history to keep the cat company wouldn’t be amiss.

7024F725-F19B-4E08-81F8-E3293FF267F0.thumb.jpeg.3fd6aae447da51e4590934a18c4a0638.jpeg

We have livet close by the sea all our lives, and owned 3 boats ourselves I thought a model of one would’t be half bad. So I searched around and came upon this model of the Colin Archer - a Norwegian vessel used as a rescuing vessel along the coast. After all it was marked “beginner” so how hard could it be? 

Well, you all know I was in for a surprise. And a lot of fun. 

I reckon I will need help from you from time to time if not on the current project, definitely on the next. Because there will be more.

Looking forward to read all your posts, and join in on discussions from time to time.

And I’ll get started on my first build log after I’ve poured myself a glass of wine. See you over at the build log...

4E433865-7D49-4AB1-A869-1A0A8C631C7E.jpeg

Edited by Torstein

Current build: Bluenose

Previous build: Colin Archer

hello Torstein, and welcome to MSW.  I really like your lively sense of humour, which I believe is an essential quality in a model builder.  And the other is patience!  Especially when on a very long and repetitive task, like stitching on a bolt rope to whole set of sails for a square rigger (windjammer)!  Go well with your project - I look forward to seeing your progress. Paul from the antipodes.

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Seems like I an image added which really belonged in the log thread. Try as I might, couldn’t make it disappear. Might work better from a computer than an iPad. Not that it matters that it matters that much. Just trying to clean up after myself. For once.

Current build: Bluenose

Previous build: Colin Archer

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Torstein, 

Hi from across the North Sea, and welcome to MSW :) I'm sure you'll like it here as much as I do - there are very few forums out there as friendly and helpful as this one. 

Pavel

I don't have a model ship building problem. I can stop any time I want. Let me just build this another one, and then I'll stop, I promise. 

Completed: AL Endeavour longboat, AL Virginia Schooner, OcCre Dos Amigos.

In progress: BB Cutty Sark.

Hello for the south if that defines Minnesota! I'm 67 and returned to ships some years ago. It has stimulated my brain enormously. My ocean connection is that part of my family came from Wismar in 1911. My grandmother even was patted on the head by the Kaiser! I now take longer to do things because of age but I don't care. I look for vessels which have a connection for me like USS Constitution-last US vessel which came in under budget.

Welcome Torstein!

I am sure you are finding there is much to learn in ship modeling.  You can learn a great deal by reading the building logs on this site.  The members here are terrific and are very willing to help. Do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Bryan

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48