Transport of a ship

Hello fellow modellers,

I have built a model of the frigat L´Hermione for my father.

I live in Denmark and he lives in France.

My question is:

How to transport safely and securely a shipmodel over a long distance?

any ideas?

Packaging?

Thanks for your input :)

Best regards 

Jean-Philippe

Put it on the back seat of your car and take a drive to see your father ;) :) ?  In Australia that's considered a rather short trip :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I like Danny's idea best1  I have shipped as far as US to Europe on several occasions but the recipient always paid for the crating which was done by professionals.  Even then be careful that they know what they are doing.  The first time I did this the fellows that came to pick up the model asked if they could take off the masts!!!!  I was not home, but the admiral told them to leave and called me.   I called the freight forwarder and the next crew knew what they were doing.  I did see this particular model some months later on display in a beautiful custom case and it was in perfect shape.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On this site

http://www.modelships.de/

I found this link

http://www.finemodelships.com/sale_transport.htm

Maybe they can help you.

Although, Packing it yourself and transporting it to your father by car is perhaps faster and cheaper.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In support of Dan's answer.  My son made a 12 hour driving trip from North Carolina to New Jersey with 2 ship models in the back of a Mustang. One was on the back seat secured by seatbelts and the other was on the back seat floor surrounded by pillows all around to prevent any movement.

Some other important points.  The models were secured to stands with screws into the hulls.  Further, the stands were also secured to the bases of their display cases with screws. There was absolutely no damage at all. 

Paul

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

I have used professional museum and art object movers in the past. They are bonded and insured and are used to packing, crating and moving delicate items. However, they are not cheap.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I was only half-kidding with my reply ;). The main idea was to visit your father.

Personally, I've transported both my "HMS Vulture" (twice) and "HMS Victory" (4 times) on the back seat of a Mitsubishi Lancer. "Victory" also travelled on the FRONT seat of my Toyota Hilux pick-up truck (only just - there wasn't much room for gear changing :D ). No damage was sustained on any occasion.

As Jim suggested above, I packed the hull away from the back cushion to avoid damage to the yards. And .... I made sure the bowsprit wasn't crushed by the door handle when I closed it.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thank you all for your input on that matter.

I think the best and cheapest way will be to take a road trip to France

with the beast well packed on the back seat of the car.

And I will get to see my dad at the same time, Win-Win situation :)

Have a nice day !

Greetings

Jean-Philippe 

My work here is done (rides off into the sunset :D :D).

Cheers, Danny

I found that some of the professional movers are not so professional. There may be a considerable difference between what their sales rep promises you (and charges) and what their workmen actually do. Their appreciation of your spiritual and monetary valuables may vary quite a bit and their sense of convenience may override their sense of care for your possessions. I had very good and very bad experiences - during my last move from the Netherlands to France almost every piece of furniture was somehow dented - in spite of the promised 'export wrapping'. I could tell you wild stories of how they handled my stuff. On another occassion, I went with foreman of the gang through all the special objects, including the glass-cases for my models, and discussed with him their special needs for wrapping and handling - the standard reply is "don't worry" (which usually makes me worry ...); later that morning I was able to prevent by a second the apprentice from loading a large glass-case (boxed-up and marked with 'upright' arrows) onto a sack-trolley and going down the stairs with it ...

Therefore, I would also recommend to take a delivery-trip in a car. There are two things to consider, when transporting models in a car: a) to prevent the load from shifting around in the car, e.g. when breaking, and b ) to prevent the model from touching anything.

I always secure models on a base-plate, so no loose stands. This base-plate then can be fastened to a board that is larger than the model by say a couple of centimetres on all sides. Around this board you can construct a light-weight box or crate from e.g. plywood (more expensive) or high-density fibre-board. The box should have a bottom as well, so that you can slide in and out the board on which the model is fastened down. Depending on the size of the model, you may need to provide some handles for carrying the crate. This is a safe, albeit perhaps somewhat expensive method.

If you don't want to construct a crate, I would at least mount the model on the board as described above, because this allows you to attach fastening straps etc. for securing the model in the car.

Keep in mind that a sailing-ship model is quite top-heavy, so it may break off its stand that is securely fastened, say to the back-seat, during a serious breaking manoeuvre.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck you are so correct when it comes to so called “professional movers”.Being in the Navy for 25 years and moving several times your statement is 100% spot on. In most cases like this you are better off with a road trip yourself.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wefalck makes an important point: It's not just crating and securing the cased model properly that is important. (Hopefully, every model is properly cased... we won't even begin to talk about cleaning ladies with feather dusters...) Jarring shocks can damage even well-secured models, particularly their rigging. Hitting a pothole can often pop a shroud or a brace or the like pretty easily.

It even happens to the pros: http://minneys.blogspot.com/2016/06/blow-out-one-hundred-damaged-ship-models.html

IMG_3152.JPG

Edited by Bob Cleek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We can all be very glad of an accident of history: the waist of most sailing ships has very few delicate protuberances. So it’s relatively easy to pass a securing strap or ribbon across the center of the deck and the bulwarks prevent it from squashing cannons or whatever. So many models can be snugged down via a single strap athwartships and this provides more security than relying entirely on the pedestal mounts or cradle the model sits on at home.

Niagara USS Constitution 

• 1 year later...

I recently had to move a model in a short, 15 minutes driving distance, and creating a proper crate was not considered as an option. Not being the safest method, I'm not recommending this to anyone, but here goes my solution. I used cable ties to fix the base of the model to a large cardboard sheet. This prevented the model from being capsized, and any movement was absorbed by the space around it. I drove pretty careful, and the mission was succesfully accomplished. The ship shows some damage, but this comes from being abandoned 12 years on a shelf, not the transport operation.

IMG_4364.jpg.e40ea2f6e07b1b2197522033efaed5d0.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg.d87fad2ba228da7fd8863520df786948.jpg

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

When I moved mine, I rolled some large bath towels and packed them around the model.  They all arrived without damage after a 30 minute drive through town.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I sat in the back seat with mine, the last time I moved them.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me