Queen Anne Barge by Rustyj - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

The cap rail and inner frames have all been sanded to the required thickness on the port side.

Just a lot of sand, measure, sand, measure, continue as needed!

IMG_2621.thumb.JPG.ab3d140af5d15bae8df69646b1cd3104.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi all,

The cap rail and frames have all been sanded to their proper dimensions.

Next I sanded the floorboards and prepared them for installation.

They are laser cut and required minimal heat bending to get a nice fit.

IMG_2625.thumb.JPG.03c310a3f4a7ececbb9b98d3604437be.JPG

Here the fore and aft platforms have been glued up and ready to install.

IMG_2624.thumb.JPG.b706e2c22f65aa07442a179f68534aa1.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Just found this. I'll be following along too

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Jesse. Welcome aboard!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking good , I'm pulling up a seat as well .

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

Thanks Derek and welcome aboard to you too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The fore and aft platforms are now installed. Chuck showed a nifty idea for using a "T" made

from scrap wood to measure the correct position of the platforms on the frames. Align the top

of the T with the cap rail and then make a tick mark at the depth of the platform. Transfer it to

the matching frames and you have the correct depth. Some minor sanding of the frames was

required to get it correct.

IMG_2635.thumb.JPG.26f18ccae0b74d54a7bf7cac8f79f26a.JPG

IMG_2629.thumb.JPG.32bf11ed5134aa9ae4751a72286677f0.JPG

Next is drilling a couple hundred holes for the simulated nailing of the planking.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Chuck and Ben.

Drilling a hole in wood that is one 1/32" thick without going all the way

through sounds like a lot of fun. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

5 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Thanks Chuck and Ben.

Drilling a hole in wood that is one 1/32" thick without going all the way

through sounds like a lot of fun. ;)

Make a drill stop by putting a piece of blue tape on the drill bit to mark the depth.   When the tape touches wood, stop drilling.   It will take some fiddling to set this depth stop

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rusty, between your beautiful workmanship and Chucks engineering genius that is turning into one fine model.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tim, Mark and alde,

Been a little busy so my reply is a bit tardy. Mark, trying to gauge 1/64" on a drill bit was a bit tricky. :)

I was able to be successful drilling the holes and use the supplied black line to simulate the bolts.

The line was cut off flush using a sharp razor blade.

IMG_2630.thumb.JPG.aeddb86486057c26140f804076bfe484.JPGIMG_2634.thumb.JPG.8bf0e753a76a0dd0e6657187fd7dcf5d.JPG

Now its on to interior work and, shudder, painting. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yikes.... that is tiny to drill and then adding bolts.   Makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it.

You've got that right. Glasses and magnification was mandatory. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well the admiral is a bit under the weather so I've stayed home from work to in case she needed anything.

It did afford me some extra time to get some "work" done on the barge.

I painted the bench arm rests and glued them in place. Then the upper portion aft of the arm rests was planked.

IMG_2641.thumb.JPG.fa0c3e1df5028a856a21e8ce8867b94a.JPG

IMG_2642.thumb.JPG.5709f4b7d9f5a31539dd39754de5947a.JPG

Then the seat base and seat tops were added.

IMG_2643.thumb.JPG.cccdb9f8246c23aee9901b19c1a9d50e.JPG

You can see I painted a small portion testing the consistency of the thinned paint and

checking the seams at the planking for a nice tight fit. I've found that if there is a bad joint

it will show up when paint is applied. The paint I'm using is Winsor & Newton Galeria Acrylic Crimson.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

I've got some catching up to do here.

The risers for the thwarts fitted, clamped and drying.

IMG_2646.thumb.JPG.a458661d9a0f9e702f1c9ee9ae012de0.JPG

IMG_2652.thumb.JPG.244f93ff88e1292af24f4875b8ca50e9.JPG

The benches, bench seat back and coxswain seats have been added and the first several

coats of paint have been applied with many more to come.

Here are the laser cut thwarts and the two long saw tooth looking strips are for the stretchers.

IMG_2653.thumb.JPG.3e1098f86214277af900a1b2e6b35ca2.JPG

I kinda got caught up working and forgot to take pictures. Each cross piece was specifically cut for its

position so numbering them and keeping them in order was real important. All pieces were test fitted

then taken apart and glued together. After assembling the thwarts I realized I had gotten ahead of myself

and forgot to put the stretchers in. Oops followed by a bunch of swearing. Luckily I was able to slide

everything in between the framing. No harm no foul. Whew.

IMG_2655.JPG

Many more coats of paint is needed and well as planking above the thwarts.

IMG_2657.thumb.JPG.e8d1c14af95c2fef9c39334d78d943bb.JPG

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks very very good.  One thing you can do that I recommend is to spray the painted surface with dull coat or a matte fixative.  Dont spray a heavy coat but several light coats from afar.  This really evens out the painting and you wont see any brush strokes at all.  It works a treat!!!:)   And you dont have to worry about getting any on the unpainted cherry.  It works there as well.  

Thanks Chuck. That saved me bothering you with another question. ;)

Thanks Ben.  I've never painted soooooo much. And the end is not is sight yet. 

Hi B.E.  Your gonna love it!

Thanks Dirk and all the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Jim,

I do not use an air brush as of yet. I do pre-paint before assembly sometimes but with a brush.

The thwarts had three or four coats on them before I assembled them.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty your work looks so good I was just wondering as it would be near impossible to keep the red from accidentally getting on 

the bare wood with that many coats....well at least for me. She is a beaut!

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Thanks Tim. My pleasure. 

Thanks Jim I will spend a bit of time "cleaning up" my goofs once I've finished. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)