Queen Anne Barge by Rustyj - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

Thank you OrLiN. Welcome aboard. 

The inboard planking has been completed. Thankfully Chuck had the forethought to supply extra

planking pieces at the bow. It is a hefty bend and old hammer hands broke the first plank. 

IMG_2660.thumb.JPG.a158cbad92ccd035b0f845197d07b94f.JPG

You can see the planking is not flush with the cap rail and forms a bit of a rabbet. You also can see pieces

added that do go all the way to the cap rail. These form a wider spot for the thole pins.

IMG_2662.thumb.JPG.1b904baf35b95737987b027883d1f25b.JPG

Well it's back to painting, painting, painting. :D

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very nice....and yes that is the exact reason I added extras.  Same is true for the decorative panels.....you should be almost ready to add those too.  You are moving along relatively quickly which is good.   I see a Pegasus Cross Section Rusty beta test in the works for you!!!;)

56 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I see a Pegasus Cross Section Rusty beta test in the works for you!!!

That sounds great! I've had some time off so I was able to spend more time on the barge. Gotta go back to work tomorrow though. :default_wallbash:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Ben. Nope gonna have to add it through the side later. 

I'll let you know how that turns out! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I actually waited til I had the flag staff so I could make sure it was straight when gluing it in.  Thank goodness it takes a while for Titebond to cure which allows you to move the flag around while its in the step so you can get it straight.

Here are laser cut boxwood panels that need adding.

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.5123435012514d516c2d1c3450032289.JPG

Again Chuck added extras because the are VERY DELICATE. Old hammer hands only broke

a couple but it was nice to know there were plenty of spares!

IMG_2665.thumb.JPG.73bf001cb234939ef1ef3fa361b88568.JPG

IMG_2664.thumb.JPG.2ed4ca9f9c5b0786ca447c675d8bc3a1.JPG

The inboard painting is done unless I make a boo boo. Next I'll be cutting out the printed friezes and inserting them in the panels.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The kit provides the various friezes all sized and ready to be inserted into the panels.

Chuck describes using a glue stick to adhere the friezes. As I didn't have a glue stick I

diluted some white glue, used a paint brush to apply it to the area inside the panels

and then gently press the frieze in place. 

IMG_2667.thumb.JPG.5fafffcc07398c6cc344eec995f641d4.JPG

IMG_2670.thumb.JPG.9bafe44f030a1c84f388d0a8a41434e6.JPG

IMG_2671.thumb.JPG.d20763feaee843292ce609a02e9a7e1f.JPG

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.b2ec46d444329c35b3583c4fbad5652b.JPG

Next I will paint and install the bow flag support brace and the step.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Jim and Tim and also all the likes. It's really a nice kit and a lot of fun to do.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks B.E.

I'm glad to hear that you've gotten the barge kit too. You'll really like it. By the way I love your work on the Cheerful!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been MIA for a bit. Vacation, family and good weather have kept me away from the workshop and MSW.

Well I've made it back to the shop for a bit of an update.

The forward flag support bracket has been added as well as the step.

IMG_2673.thumb.JPG.75e4b69c66f42066db1e77b807918e12.JPG

IMG_2674.thumb.JPG.73df2c6b64b5f2b31e427e1b116d698e.JPG

Here are the kit supplied laser wood carvings

IMG_2638.thumb.JPG.46778d2a86c8f613eace85c02a9e3a3c.JPG

and the kit supplied resin castings

IMG_2639.thumb.JPG.469012eb1673a0b95d34b7969370b362.JPG

and the optional resin castings

IMG_2637.thumb.JPG.b3e40f08a85e90124bda9dfafc3c848c.JPG

and the weathering powers to use on the resin castings.

IMG_2672.thumb.JPG.0e89f720928c7049040da2d653c9bdd1.JPG

Both the laser cut and resin pieces are great. I did get the additional resin casting just in case I either mess up the carving or get lazy!

They look so good it will be hard to duplicate.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

This will not come as any new revelation to anyone but Chuck is a great carver. Me not so much. :D

I've played with the boxwood laser cut carvings and though they are really great I slaughtered them.

Soooooo I am using Chucks optional resin castings. They required very little clean up.

Chucks used weathering powders and I did the same. You can see the results below. 

You also can see there's still a lot of clean up and touching up needed.

IMG_2680.thumb.JPG.92603726a4b87c67a4fe81a037a1e397.JPG

IMG_2678.thumb.JPG.a57b8db340aa5f53928d63dbafbd5d20.JPG

IMG_2677.thumb.JPG.b129415b6078c016027fcc7dae9b575b.JPGIMG_2676.thumb.JPG.2da48c08a90990695555f0c34509391c.JPG

IMG_2675.thumb.JPG.5d5e4f84f37267fba1623997025e4f49.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That sure looks nice Rusty. I'm also interested on the use of the weathering powders. Can you give some details on the technique?

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thank you all for your kind words and likes It's very much appreciated.

This is how I did it which fairly closely follows Chucks instructions.

After any flash was removed the resin pieces were washed in a mild dish soap and warm water.

The first power applied was "gritty yellow".  Then "highlight white" followed by "dirty brown".

The powders are applied with a clean brush. Small amounts at a time.

If I had too much of one color I'd just alternate powders until I was satisfied with the look.

Once I was happy with the result the pieces were sprayed with two light coats of Krylon clear fixative. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

While waiting for my barge kit, I ordered two sets of the boxwood carvings to practice on and I certainly needed practice. Of the 4 Queen Anne monograms, I murdered three before I finally got a feel for what I was doing. The fourth turned out rather well.  The carvings for port and starboard where a little tricky but between the two sets I have a set for the barge.  I took photos of my trials and tribulations.  I am also planning on covering all the moldings with real gold leaf and I plan on documenting that process as well.  With a little luck, I hope to put up a “mini” build log for the entire process. It’s been pretty challenging, but I’ve begun to develop a whole new skill set.  Something which drew me to model ship building in the first place.  I’ve posted a photo of the monogram below.

Best,

John

4DC5AFD7-15A8-4284-B4FE-4D0ED511E453.jpeg

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

1 hour ago, Landlocked123 said:

While waiting for my barge kit, I ordered two sets of the boxwood carvings to practice on and I certainly needed practice. Of the 4 Queen Anne monograms, I murdered three before I finally got a feel for what I was doing. The fourth turned out rather well.  The carvings for port and starboard where a little tricky but between the two sets I have a set for the barge.  I took photos of my trials and tribulations.  I am also planning on covering all the moldings with real gold leaf and I plan on documenting that process as well.  With a little luck, I hope to put up a “mini” build log for the entire process. It’s been pretty challenging, but I’ve begun to develop a whole new skill set.  Something which drew me to model ship building in the first place.  I’ve posted a photo of the monogram below.

Best,

John

4DC5AFD7-15A8-4284-B4FE-4D0ED511E453.jpeg

Do you mean the Gold Foil Leaf or Gold Leaf Paint?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

24 carat real gold leaf foil. I bought all the tools, sizing, and leaf about 20 years ago and this seems like the perfect application. J..

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you were able obtain a barge kit. It's really a lot of fun.

Well done John, I look forward to seeing your posting of the carving and gold leaf!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)