Queen Anne Barge by Rustyj - Syren Ship Model - 1:24

Next I worked on the iron strap along the outside edge of the stem. The strap is laser cut from laserboard

which is resin impregnated paper and already blackened.After the pieces were glued in place holes were

drilled to accept 22 gauge wire  which simulated the bolts. After the wire was cut and sanded smooth

they were painted black and then some rusty brown weathering powder was applied to give it a more 

metal look.

IMG_2687.thumb.JPG.a6d5b4f673e54b43c2ec14c0de75bf46.JPG

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.19d740a15817f64e9f7f62e8f547251f.JPG

IMG_2688.thumb.JPG.a2a745398012ebc9efaf5e17a65ae459.JPG

Next up it will be assembling the thole pins, placing them and then more painting!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Getting there but still a lot more to enjoy!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank Grant and Kurt. Thanks for all the likes too! 

I'm really liking the weathering powders. Adds a whole new look. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

If you hadn't told us, Rusty, I would have thought it IS metal.   Beautiful work all around on this model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. All goes to a great designed kit and instructions! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

16 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Thank Grant and Kurt. Thanks for all the likes too! 

I'm really liking the weathering powders. Adds a whole new look. 

Where did you purchase your powders?

Re-read your original post. Micro Mark. Got it.🤗

Edited by Jim Rogers

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Really wonderful, Rusty. Is just another masterpiece from you

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks Christian. I look forward to your building this too!

Next was to make the 20 thole pins or oar locks. These are tiny laser cut pieces and thankfully

Chuck supplies extra. A couple disappeared into the black hole of the shop floor.

IMG_2690.JPG.cf4de56963087257bf9596a12b79e017.JPG

IMG_2685.thumb.JPG.d64557bede04977725272d34dbf36a5f.JPG

IMG_2692.thumb.JPG.22f15e3fab5038a36b55051e3586e946.JPG

As you can see they are small. They were glued in place per the plans and then painted.

Next up is the rudder.

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Dirk and John. Also thanks for all the likes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Tim.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been working in bits and pieces as I can find the time to get into the shop.

I've made the tiller and added the rudder.

IMG_2695.thumb.JPG.01d286fc0372faaafaecf27369f77927.JPG

IMG_2696.thumb.JPG.bce38fb1b239d61037eb92836ae03e5b.JPG

I then assembled the sweeps, sanded them to shape, painted them and added the printed dolphin as well as the simulated leather band on the tip.

IMG_2701.thumb.JPG.20d23661e934d84b7f9634ca8e03bd6f.JPG

IMG_2705.thumb.JPG.dcad18f1a77563fbf38120688391b1a2.JPG

Here are the flags and flag staffs assembled and painted.

IMG_2697.thumb.JPG.9d82ce91ab90169d5bd8d3ba5a707c43.JPG

IMG_2698.thumb.JPG.c7e8b15ebd9e0bca094e732d17cdb0af.JPG

IMG_2700.thumb.JPG.8803c1cff85d622258fc59b14774ffd8.JPG

And here they are on the barge. The shaping isn't as good as Chucks (no surprise there) and I'll continue to tweek them.

IMG_2704.thumb.JPG.5d7c43d09b19df23d0b28d4b83d9d636.JPG

Basically I've completed her. Just some touching up here and there, figure out a display case and assemble the stands and take some finished pictures.

Chuck has again made an outstanding model that is fun to do, teaches you new things and of great quality.  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks great Rusty.  The flags look very good.  One thing I would suggest is that in the future,  its better to cut the dolphins for the sweeps by cutting close around the dolphin itself.   Then you wont see the paper at all.  Then run your red paint along the edge of the dolphins to cover the white paper edge.  

Chuck

Ok Chuck that's a head slapping moment for me. Think I just may have to strip those off and redo them.

Thanks all for the kind words and likes. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Ok I went back, stripped off the old decorations and followed Chucks suggestion.

I don't know why I didn't catch that when doing it the first time.

IMG_2707.thumb.JPG.06feb6464dd396ab3ea9bbe64ac02a2c.JPG

One down Four to go! Thanks Chuck

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Perhaps I am missing something....but how is that a dolphin?  Or is it one of those 3 Mile Island dolphins?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Ok I've redone the "3 mile island" ;) dolphins and they are looking much better.

IMG_2708.thumb.JPG.9565bd1a2b53c8678102018ac81969f2.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 months later...

Hi Ben,

Been real busy the last couple  of months and haven't spent much time (almost none) in the work shop.

I'm thinking a of an acrylic box like this with a wooden base. 

oblong_box_520x467.jpg.5262ae9decd7193ef5944beb1d3e180b.jpg 

Oars on their stand in front and then on a shelf in my shop. Probably won't get to that for another 

month or so. Building a game room in the other half of the basement next to my shop.

At least I'm getting to build something! :D

Thanks for stopping by!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok after much delay I've finally got the display case and mounted the barge!

IMG_0478.thumb.JPG.f9676a7f17efb50472f83dd953959956.JPG

This is a wonderful kit and a lot of fun to build. Thanks Chuck.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Splendid work Rusty! Always a treat to see your work. Would be nice to see it up close and personal at one of our meetings. You are an inspiration to us all.

Until we can take another picture I will post it on our web site in the gallery.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17
Verbage update

Thanks Chuck, Having a quality kit and great plans and instructions sure make it a lot easier!

Hi Joe, Thanks for the kind words. I might be persuaded to stop by with it.

Thanks everyone for the likes too! Very much appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)