Flag Halliard rigging

I need assistance on the rigging of a gaff flag halliard.  Grice's drawing (see  https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/13002-anchor-hoy-by-maurys-pof-harbor-craft-c-1825-148/) He shows a faint line from near the end of the gaff down to the deck area but it is not clear how it belays.  There are lots of other lines missing from the drawing.  Would a harbor craft even have a flag?    If so, there would be a block at the end of the gaff with tails coming down to the deck somewhere.  I've seen rigging plans where the tails of the halliard are tied off to cleats at the transom (two cleats, one to each side).  I assume the flag would be attached to the halliard with a tail to bring it down.  Also with this method, the halliard would have to be undone during a tack.  Another way would be to have it cleated to a pin near the end of the boom.  Solves the issue with tacking.  would it have been a continuous loop?  Thanks in advance for any comments.

Maury

Edited by Maurys

The halliard forms a continuous loop.  The flag has a type of bolt rope running through the hoist side with an eye at the top to take the toggle on the halliard.  The bottom of the bolt rope is left as a long tail on the flag terminating in a toggle that engages an eye on the other end of the halliard.  The halliard passes through a block at the peak of the gaff.  When the flag is run up the two parts of the halliard are taken together around one cleat.

Hope that is understandable.  I don't have a picture.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Usually there was a small eyebolt (called a sprig) in the end of the gaff with a small single block attached. The halliard, as mentioned above, was continuous. It might belay to a small cleat or eyebolt aft.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks all.

Maury

The next question on The Big Game Show is:

"What is the eyebolt at the end of a gaff called?"