Kate Cory by Richvee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - solid hull

• 2 weeks later...

So I have started on the tackle and pendants. After studying the MS plans,  the rigging specs booklet from New Bedford, it seems the Kate Cory's pendants were 8"c tarred hemp and not chain. So I used Syren .045 black rope, and 3.5mm bulls eyes for the thimbles and lashed it to the main mast. This illustration I found on line was extremely helpful for me in understanding cutting in tackle. 

301062740_cuttingintackle.thumb.jpg.9af4f0574126af4f6c6750736a32e7bf.jpg

To the left is the lower block setup with the blubber hook. The toggle strap is similar. The second is the upper block configuration, and the third is a chain option for the toggle rig. The far right shows the falls and guys.  

I added the bull's eyes for thimbles on the pendants and lashed it to the main mast as shown in the plans and described in the rigging Specs.

KCpendands.thumb.JPG.1294cb0ec8f770fe450343498b3f1c46.JPG

Pendandlashing.thumb.JPG.149ce37e28f230c6b1b0a932f8fcd45f.JPG

I've made one set of upper blocks, without the guy block strapped in yet. Chuck's 9/32 block kits add a nice touch to add detail to these 17 1/2" blocks used on the KC. 

upperblocks.thumb.JPG.48c293046f826e8de0d8a38e86d87279.JPG

Next up the lower double block. and figuring out how I'm going to represent the linkage between the pendants and the upper block straps as my metal work is no way up to the task of making shackles. 

Edited by Richvee

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

Upper blocks shackled into the pendents.

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.7b6c8e7eb9a3c27e11138fb3a008cbb6.JPG

Lower blocks fit with wooden toggle, and blubber hook. A little extra detail adding the small rope handles on the lower block with the blubber hook. 

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.2b4ee2c8baa169ae6f2b4c9dae6708f8.JPG 

Now all that's left to do is rig these things.:unsure: 

Rich

Thanks Kurt.  I was pretty happy with the look.

Wayne, I hope you get back at it soon. I've seen your log, you're off to a great start.  Be sure to check out John B.'s KC log, as well as the many Morgan builds on this site. In particular, Bruce's Morgan, particularly his whaleboats, are stunning.   Not only am I learning ship modeling, but I'm getting quite an education in the history of American whaling. Fascinating subject, IMO. 

I'm learning the hard way I shouldn't have tied off the standing rigging. I've already untied the backstays, and will probably need to undo the inner main, outer main and spring stays to re-tension them. 

It was a productive Sunday in the shipyard. Not only finished the cutting in pieces, I managed to get the blubber hook rigged. Ends are just wrapped around the windlass until final adjusting. 

Cuttinginhook1.thumb.JPG.eed53237257a69abb269e90690a4c68f.JPG cuttinginhook2.thumb.JPG.c77f7aefe6179d4b8ff4ad78cc3ef88e.JPG

cuttinginhook3.thumb.JPG.c676b87feddf9fc7e5da16bb0bf110a3.JPG

Still need to lash that hook to the bit as well. 

Rich

Looking for some advice. This week I finished off the cutting in tackle not without some setbacks. First, I had a pretty major catastrophe as I swung my arm around the model too quick and snapped the fore royal mast off right under the royal crosstree.  :(. The fix took some time. The repair is not real pretty, but  fairly well hidden under the crosstrees. The top most ratlines are going to have to be redone. 

IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.11b71d07e97dcb0312b79750f7c6c9d3.JPG

with the repair done, I managed to finish the cutting in tackle, tension the lines and secure the lower blocks to the belly chain bit. 

IMG_0642.thumb.JPG.27080cfe86132fab573976ab31b9a88a.JPG

IMG_0643.thumb.JPG.3f87878f7539650d759d9ab6dccff32c.JPG

All things considered, I'm happy with the cutting in tackle. Here's where the problem has arisen. 

Upon completing the Cutting in tackle, I noticed a LOT of my standing rigging had way to much slack in the lines because of the tension from the cutting in tackle.  I cut away the fore topgallant and main topmast backstays, the outer mainstay, the main topmast stay and spring stay and main topmast spring stay. I reattached them, but haven't secured them all yet. 

Is there an order I should secure theses stays in that may avoid slack as I proceed, or is this just trial and error until I get all the lines to look good with no noticeable sag in them? 

Edited by Richvee

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a frustrating few weeks in the shipyard. I've re-rigged most of the upper stays, fore royal stay. Just too much slack after tightening the cutting-in tackle. I must have re rigged the 4 backstays half a dozen times. I think I have all the standing lines where they need to be now. 

IMG_0653.thumb.JPG.1bef910e7167df1b39cdc626d26702dd.JPG

Ran the jib halyard and downhaul, and belayed the downhaul to the bow rail.

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.9a34ef8a526c2ce24a5084552684ec80.JPG

Then, more trouble. As I tried to belay the hauling end of the halyard to the pin in the small pinrail on the fore mast, I realized the little two pin rail on either side of the mast is not going hold up the strain, off they came. 

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.16dc0af08af6126fe72ff14c9420f971.JPG

So now I need to construct some new pinrails. Got an idea at work today. I found these plastic dividers we use. The thickness looks to be just about perfect. Hopefully I can fashion 2 rails, with two belaying pins in each that will hold up when affixed to the spider band with lines belayed to it. Because as you can see, the wooden one shown below didn't stand a chance. 

IMG_0652.thumb.JPG.3c52dcc5c32fd8608b9c20301e499d98.JPG

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

The plastic worked well for the 2 pin pin rails on either side of the fore mast. This time they're epoxied on there. ;)

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.d1ce61d0d01d197fd35e66a6517db4e4.JPG

Halyards and downhauls for the Jib, flying jib, outer, inner, and topmast staysails are in. 

I found it interesting the topmast halyard didn't have a block at the head cringe of the sail, it was just sister hooked to the head cringe. So I just hooked the downhaul to an eyesplice in the halyard as shown below in the top of the picture. 

IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.b121b1d41297186ddf06e229152af2ed.JPG

Jib and flying jib halyards and downhauls

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.f7ba355b90b263812fc3d6598e3b9d6d.JPG

That brings me to here...

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.1a1065008de8f2362e0d7b8dc901b46d.JPG

Next, I think it's time to get serious about these darn whaleboats. 

But not before a a little weekend trip to the New Bedford whaling museum. The wife and I are headed up there early tomorrow morning to spend a day there...Russ--I'll ask about the plans they used to sell on line..maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a set laying around they would sell. 

Rich

Had a nice weekend up in New Bedford at the museum. I could have easily spent half the day looking at Eric Ronnberg's 1/2" scale Kate Cory. So much interesting stuff there. 

IMG_0702.thumb.jpg.4484445ae9eb9a1e8f6c654ea362b1d2.jpgIMG_0698.thumb.jpg.b9154d7baed5df179400c73607320645.jpg

Some inspiration to get my whaleboats going

IMG_0693.thumb.jpg.924fc7f36526634f9021ef57c68d26f9.jpg

Rich

I am envious of your trip to New Bedford museum. I went to Lunenburg twice while building Bluenose. I am in research mode now as I start my build of Kate Cory.  I enjoy you log too. It is so important to see how others have interpreted the details. The plans are limited in details.

I'll start my log soon

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for the likes everyone. 

Jon - Looking forward to your buildlog. If I can be of any help in your research let me know.  There's so much detail you can add to whalers. The question for me has been what to include and what to leave off. 

Rich

Jon- I have to ask...By the looks of your builds, you don't mess around with anything small!! What scale are you planning for the Kate Cory? And...Is it going to sail?? 

Rich

Rich

I am entering whaling as a whole new area.  I plan to build a few kits to get the hang of it.  Kate and a sister brig....you'll see what I mean...  then the Charles Morgan and a large whale boat...3/4 scale I believe.   I love the process of studying a real ship and Mystic is so much fun to visit.     During these builds, at 1:64 scale, I hope to learn new skills...….. and following others advice I'll be  working on more sailable boats like the BHOD one designs, my existing marbleheads etc.  and a 3/4 scale schooner I never finished. 

The open question is what to scratch build …...a sailing whale ship model or a large cutaway showing the insides.    As to making a sailing model, Kate Cory as a schooner would be easier at 1:24 but the more I am reading the Schooners were not really good for the process of whaling. I would love to figure out how best to rotate a foremast, so that is on the table.  Also holding me back with KC is the better plans that used to be sold by Bedford museum are not easy to find.  As to ship insides, I would love to build a POF version of something and then open it up.

anyway it's all fun. I started to gather photos today and plan to get posting in a week or so.  I also have the Halifax model on hold and more to do other models.

cheers 

jon 

• 1 month later...

Before moving on to the boom, gaff and yardarms, I thought it is about time to at least make one whaleboat. I've decided I will make one to completion, try to take notes and see how one comes out, then tackle the other 3. I've given a lot of thought to the color scheme. Looking at countless pictures and visiting New Bedford and Mystic, the colors vary greatly. I've decided to stay close to Ronnberg's colors on his 1/2" scale model in New Bedford, except I'm going with white boats where he went with the blue/green bulwarks color on his. 

..As I've mentioned earlier, I started this model some 30 years ago. back then the hull was sanded, rails and deck added, topsides and bulwarks painted. At that time, I used a floquil "rail green" on the bulwarks. Recently I came across the bottle in my storage, and low and behold, it's still as good as new! So the whaleboats will have the same green inboard as the main ship's bulwarks from the thwart stringers up. Green thwarts, cuddy board and bow box. Grey ceiling, black rails, black gunwhale strake. The sheer strake will be assorted colors for each boat. I'm thinking blue, yellow, and red. The 4th, spare boat that sits astern on the tailfeathers was a spare, so there would be no identifying stripe on that one. I may make an exception and outfit this boat fully as well, even though it was a spare. Ronnberg did this as well, and I'm leaning this way as it gives a nice appearance to the finished model with all four whaleboats finished and equipped.  

I started with carving/sanding the machine carved hull to shape. Approximately 1/16" think and 1/32" at the top where the ribs will be placed. Below is the beging of the carving. The top of the rails have not yet been shaved down to 1/32"

start.jpg.46b0f8f215c1e74ededf1d69d89de735.jpg   

Once this was done, I added the flat keel, (1/32 X 3/32 thinned to 1/16" wide at the stem and stern.)  Then the rail. 1/32" strip on the inside and outside

whaleboat1.thumb.jpg.745b548d6115391fa9530824f4c5573b.jpg

Once dry the rail was sanded and the outside rounded a bit. 

Next came the exposed tops of the frames, (1/32" srtip) the thwart stringers (1/32 X 1/16), the clumsy cleat, and the bow rails with it's open slot. 

Whaleboat2.thumb.jpg.9ce0e33e4cea7d5e52e6402253713f59.jpg

I've decided against planking the ceiling. I'm planning on fully equipping all the boats, so by the time I've added thwarts, line tubs, harpoons, masts, oars, etc, very little of the ceiling will be visible.  

Next up was the cuddy board and standing soles. Both were made with 1/8" X 1/32 strip. For the cuddy, the strips were glued edge to edge, then trimmed to fit with about 1/32" of the rail showing on each side. I think that will give a nice touch with the black rail showing a little around the green cuddy board. The standing soles were not painted, as the crew needed sure footing these were eft unfinished. I plan on trying to get a weathered wood look for these. (Thanks for the tip, Bruce!)

whaleboat3.thumb.jpg.afebb76e6484a7b505b7b6f6b138679b.jpg

Next, I planked the bow box with 1/8" X 1/32" strip. My research shows many boats had a vertical board at the very front that ran under the bow box planks. If you look close at the very front, maybe you can see I tried to replicate that. Added the oarlock pads, and the horn cleats on the rails. 

whaleboat4.thumb.jpg.dd969d2a518ef3d1628a409e0d7f5100.jpg

That's where I'm at now. Again, the question arises, how much is too much detail on these little boats? 

I think I'll add the pads under the thwart stringers that held the oars upright when under sail, or running with a whale, the foot brace up near the cuddy board, and of course the cuddy board details---Loggerhead, lion's tongue, cleat, steering oar brace, and lifting eyes. I think that will be a sufficient amount of detail. 

Rich

Rich

good to see you making progress.  The dories look great.   I have been hit by a great opportunity to get back into schooners, so my kate cory will be on hold for a few months...… I'll post about it later this week.   It's a   funny thing however, I immediately have to build three dories for the Bowdoin …...oh well .    

I believe a guide to measuring an amount of added detail is the comfort of getting ones thumbs stuck trying to get that next little part attached.    If they , the thumbs that is,  can get in and out, it's fun to keep going.   example...I love your cleats.  

cheers 

1 hour ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Rich,  Those boats look real nice. Did you receive the Ronnberg stuff?

Kurt

Yes Kurt. Thanks so much. really interesting stuff on how a kit plans come together. The black and white photos are great. I think I've seen one of those pictures in an old MS catalog, but the clarity of these prints are amazing. I can get a lot of info from his details there. Thanks again!  

Rich

Good advice about detail, Jon! Thanks for noticing the cleats. I don't want to tell you how many split in process, or how many came out a tad big and were ruined trying to make the smaller, or how many just didn't end up with the right curve, etc. 

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing with whaleboat number one’ s details. Cuddy details,(loggerhead, lion’s tongue, cleat, starring oar brace,  then some paint before moving on to oar locks,  thwarts and thwart braces. 

42BBCE57-561D-440C-A9BD-51E300929A34.thumb.jpeg.b1616e5b7ac670b052a23cac61cb6099.jpegD641EFDF-8E87-4CEB-BEB7-22C4A5D71CF1.thumb.jpeg.26cfd73743d0cea58279d909060f4a8d.jpeg

0BFD28F3-8C6E-4964-8020-53F57C821C94.jpeg

Rich

Yes Kurt.  Bit by bit is right. Some of these parts are so small I can only work on them for small periods of time and then take breaks. Slow going. I have the thwart braces to make,finish painting and that should be it. I think I’m going to finish this first one, then go back to the ship and make and rig the boom and gaff. That will leave yardarms, 3 boats and a lot of little oars, harpoons, line tubs and other hardware to make. Still a lot ahead of me. 

Hope all is well and a happy thanksgiving to you and yours as well! 

Edited by Richvee

Rich

Rich, 

That makes a lot of sense. Keep moving things aroud to keep it “fresh”, instead of getting bored and cutting corners just to get it done. You can always go back and tweek things if you find the need to. I like the way things blend together instead of individual pieces just stuck together. Seems very realistic that way. Can’t wait to see her in the flesh again. Don’t eat too much tomorrow!!!

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

One complete whaleboat. At least now I know how high I need to put the boom to clear a whaleboat on the tail feathers. Not sure if I want to make one at a time, and see if I get any better as I go, or make the remaining 3 simultaneously. 

whaleboat7.jpg.2ca274fd99b12ea7321dd595c74c7509.jpg

whaleboat5.jpg.fb53b5e98a703fc00d47de998102d725.jpg

Couldn't resist to see how one looks on the ship. 

whaleboat8.jpg.33aa90053053b3b7e19d48abe1cd44b2.jpg

Rich

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, Jond said:

Rich

I am entering whaling as a whole new area.  I plan to build a few kits to get the hang of it.  Kate and a sister brig....you'll see what I mean...  then the Charles Morgan and a large whale boat...3/4 scale I believe.   I love the process of studying a real ship and Mystic is so much fun to visit.     During these builds, at 1:64 scale, I hope to learn new skills...….. and following others advice I'll be  working on more sailable boats like the BHOD one designs, my existing marbleheads etc.  and a 3/4 scale schooner I never finished. 

The open question is what to scratch build …...a sailing whale ship model or a large cutaway showing the insides.    As to making a sailing model, Kate Cory as a schooner would be easier at 1:24 but the more I am reading the Schooners were not really good for the process of whaling. I would love to figure out how best to rotate a foremast, so that is on the table.  Also holding me back with KC is the better plans that used to be sold by Bedford museum are not easy to find.  As to ship insides, I would love to build a POF version of something and then open it up.

anyway it's all fun. I started to gather photos today and plan to get posting in a week or so.  I also have the Halifax model on hold and more to do other models.

cheers 

jon 

Jon - I just received the Kate Cory plans from the New Bedford Whaling Museum. They originated from the Old Dartmouth Historical Society. Mine are copies of copies and are hard to read in some places but very detailed I had difficulty getting the Cranes right but those plans were very clear and helped a lot.You need to send an email to:

Kelly at  NBWMStore@whalingmuseum.org cost is $49. Just thought it might help

Ric

• 3 months later...

Just a quick post to say this build is not abandoned. I know it's been nearly 1/2 a year since I've updated this log. I still have every intention of finishing this ship.  Focus has turned to the Medway Longboat  group project the past few months. I'm having a fun time with Chuck's wonderful kit. I will get back to the KC soon. I'm getting an itch to get going on the yards, boom and gaff. 

Edited by Richvee

Rich

• 7 months later...

So the hiatus is over. The Medway longboat is complete, sans rigging. I'll save that for another day. Now it's time to get back to this ship and finish her. #2 whaleboat in progress...

123906100_boat2.jpg.ec26147a3641f69addd5f304cc36661c.jpg 

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

I got to the point where my little workbench was proving inadequate to accommodate some of my recent power tools purchases. Thanks  to our club’s annual auction, some  nice pieces have been added at some great prices, so it became time to expand the workbench, which once again put the whaleboats on hold. The bench is now complete. Time to start modeling!! BBEDE202-2F13-4DA2-ABED-7E674574A171.jpeg.688b6919cc781da34aa51da58473aca8.jpegF431C78A-74E6-4A02-9433-3CAD8567EA75.jpeg.4e9ff625b3d20c328bb5377714e73dea.jpeg
DA5EF405-24F1-406F-906C-46E09B1625DC.jpeg.80ac30222ab2f33a0c881cf902665938.jpeg

Edited by Richvee

Rich

great to see you back. I totally get the shop expanding bug.  I got to New Bedford for the nrj conference.  great museum and wow the Kate Cory model. I loved following your build . these small boats are projects themselves.  

cheers

jon