MS Katy of Norfolk kit issues and parts replacement

kearnold

I just got a used 1/4=1 MS Katy of Norfolk schooner off of ebay the other day and I need some advice on it.  The kit is MISSING the following items:  rings for the sails, the boom/gaff yokes, parrel beads, an anchor the belaying pins they say should be in the kit, the rudder, rudder hinge, rudder bar, keel stem and stern post  instructions that make a modicum of sense. (what's in included is rubbish), blocks and deadeyes that are not 1/8" in size, mastcaps.

What IS in the kit: hull (partly carved), rigging, a packed of itty bitty deadeyes, a packet of really tiny nails, a packet of blocks that a spider couldn't fit a web through the hole, wood for the masts, bowsprit, blocks to carve for the hatch/cabin, two pieces of wood I am guessing I am suppose to make the sternpost, rudder bar and keel stem from, really useless instructions, a packet of itsy bitsy teeny weenie eye pins.

I will use the instructions to make sail templates and then make them from silkspan

So what i need is advice on where to buy the blocks (in bulk), deadeyes (in bulk), anchor, bit heads or belaying pins (in bulk), mast caps (I will probably make these).

The other thing is SIZE of the items needed.  Most everything is in MM out there and I don't know what MM is close to scale for 1/4 inch = 1 foot.

thanks,
Keith

BUILDS : AL Scottish Maid (complete)
             AL Virginia Schooner (under construction)

K. Arnold noobie with a LOT to learn

AL "Scottish Maid" renamed "Lady Gina"complete

AL "Virginia"  renamed "Gina Marie"complete

Al Virginia (second build) complete

Corel "Scotland" in progress
OcCre "Corsair" in progress

Have a look at the main page and sponsors.  You may have to check quite a few and order from multiple places to find what you need.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is very typical of those older solid hull kits.  You get a hull...a few bits of wood sheet and strips and some string.  Then you get a few packs of bad blocks to boot.  Folks expect to get more these days but back then ....that Katy kit was what you usually got.  With the plans you could make those into a great model but the instructions were about 3 pages long and of no help what-so-ever.   Start a build log here and you will get some help as you build her.

You can try Syren (link at bottom of my post) for the blocks and rope.

Chuck

Welcome to the world of kit-bashing, even if entering unwillingly! Even many of the newer POF Model Shipways kits were designed so that much of what would have been included as pre-made parts in a typical Euro-kit has to be made from scratch in the MS kit. I can tell you from experience that that was certainly true for the POF version of Katy. Have no fear -- you can do this!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks all, I appreciate the the votes of confidence.

Back to the secondary issue of scale size.  What is the mm size I'm going to want?  The same as for my AL Virginia kit. They are really close in size.

You just need to use the plans as a guide....and measure the part in imperial or use a ruler with metric.  Then buy what ever is close.  Dont buy based on scale......actually measure the part from the plans.

Chuck

Does anyone know if there are any MS builds in the build logs, I haven't checked there yet to see what others have done.  My internet is sporatic at best.

If you'll go to the Kit area, there's a pinned topic at top titled:  Quick Find Indexes.  It's a pdf and searchable (and updated regularly) that should help you find any model.   Here's a link if you can't find the topic:  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1/4 "=6.35 mm if that helps

you can also find downloadable scale rulers online which can help in conversion

regards

paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Given the nature of your questions, it would appear that ship modeling is new to you. Perhaps it would be wise to shelve Katy for now and start with a more modern kit with better instructions until you gain some experience? Once you've built a few models, you'll have a much better idea of how to approach making and/or sourcing the parts you need. If you're determined to press ahead with Katy, Bluejacket, Model Shipways, and Ages of Sail are all good sources for fittings.

Cheers -

John

Most highly recommend Syren Ship Company for rope and blocks. He also carries great deadeyes BUT you need to assemble them your self and I would wait on that. Age of sails has the remainder of the fittings you will need. All that being said you should think about getting the Phantom starter kit from Modelexpo as it comes with the required tools and a reference book. Good luck and enjoy. The above parts recommendation can be used for any kit you get as after market fittings are usually ten times better than what is in the box. What some of these companies refer to as blocks is downright freaking laughable and the Syren blocks are the best on the market.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Kearnold,

As Chuck has noted, your Katy is typical of the old solid hull kits that used to be common in our hobby.  Don't give up, you can still build a fine model as I believe that MS has provided a fine set of plans prepared by Jim Roberts.  If you send me your e-mail by private message, I will send you my notes, block lists, rigging schedules, etc. from my build.  Note the Katy model pictured below was my 1st wooden ship model built in 2006.

image0010.jpg

image0011.jpg

image0015.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Scale rulers are available here (it'll save you some Googling):  

It 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Anyone have any idea of the standard size of copper rectangle sheeting pieces used on hulls back in the early 1800's?  We're they 3'x2'?  12"x10"? 

I'm trying to decide what size copper adhesive tabs I want to get for my 1/4 scale.

Ahoy everyone,

Concerning the flying stay sail on the Katy of Norfolk: can anyone enlighten me were on the fore mast to place the small block (3/32) for the down haul and the bulls eye for the upper tack? 

Thanks for your help.

Ulrich