Here is the YouTube link to Lars Christensen and his tutorials. Very useful and easy to understand.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I played with Fusion this weekend, tried drawing my cannon project. It takes a little getting used to, but it did create a high quality model.

Mark

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 8.16.09 AM.png

Nice cannon, Mark.

F360 has a learning curve and in my opinion missing some features, this as I'm used to Sketchup. But F360 has the ability to save for 3d printing,  which Sketchup doesn't have.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing with Fusion 360 off and on, once I discovered that it is indeed free for hobbyists. I need to do some additional drafting for higher decks on my Bellona project, and thought I might use this to learn a new skill at the same time.

There is a big learning curve for someone coming from 2-D drafting, but it is very powerful, drawing in 3-D where views do not have to be projected one from the other. Here is the beginning of drawing the boxing on the keel for the Bellona.

I haven't figured out how to orient the wood grain in the right direction. In my architecture software, there are separate textures for both horizontal and vertical surfaces in order to align the grain, but I haven't found this yet in Fusion...

Mark

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 4.26.25 PM.png

Mark, that doesn't look bad at all.
And I agree with you F360 has a learning curve, but it's fun to work with.

I am working on the America model.

Respectfully

Hi Wayne

I tried it and it worked! Thanks. Using that method you can choose any axis to align the texture to.

The interesting thing about drawing the boxing joint is that I found out how to shape curved surfaces in Fusion. I drew the taper of the keel in plan, and then extruded it down to the keel's thickness. And then I extruded it up above the Top of Keel line to the top of the boxing joint, to provide enough material to include the curved up surface. I then drew a box in elevation above the Top of Keel whose lower edge is the shape of the upper keel surface, extruded it sideways, and then used it to trim the keel. Really easy. I imagine this can be used to shape transoms that curve in both directions, etc.

Mark

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.49.30 PM.png

• 2 months later...

2 thirds of the way through : "Autodesk Fusion 360: A Power Guide for Beginners and Intermediate Users". I have a better understanding of F360 now than when I did the Autodesk lessons. Working through each chapter and then doing the step by step tutorials before attempting the Hand-on exercise, is a great help to understand and draw. So far so good