Modeling hove-to, main topsail aback

I am currently building the US Brig Lawrence and intend to rig her similar to that shown in this painting

A92CB6EE-B10B-4D49-AFA3-BF947A84C05E.jpeg.aa0db7409ef189356ec97eef5b3edadc.jpeg

In the postings and build logs, I have seen examples of furled sails and full sails, but none of sails aback against the mast. I have had some success on another build, using paper sails, some with brass wire bolt ropes, in modeling full sails, and did okay with furled sails,

D91FD8EB-9E78-4C4C-99F9-562F482D9DE0.thumb.jpeg.35263c8c61708ee7ced088bfa3bd326c.jpeg

but am troubled about getting the lines of the outlines of the mast and lifts into the backed sail. 

Any tips about achieving the desired look?

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Perhaps air Shields, to protect all but the intended sail, a fine mist of water and starch and a fan, might need to start wet, not just damp. Finnish up with the exhaust from you vacuum cleaner, hose and crevice tool to put the air where needed. might think about fabricating a Y between the hose and tool to bleed off and control air volume acting on sail.

Good luck, this will be interesting.

jud  :pirate41:

5aa816eee9279_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK070.1.thumb.jpg.97aefaedf5c7ebbe1c9d6fcd3cc1cc42.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d close the loop on this. 

In the end, I built a mock-up of the mast and some of the rigging, attached my sail, sprayed (saturated) the sail with diluted white glue, and dried with a hot hair dryer. 

43C20925-975E-4347-8A60-356BA60737AE.thumb.jpeg.9c36c290436d498eb37fd23053201454.jpeg

After attaching to the model and adjusting the rigging, I got something pretty close to the look I was chasing. The idea is that the wind direction is at the viewer’s back. 

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. 

227170DE-7EB9-4840-BAE3-1AEBEBD12A6A.thumb.jpeg.19a90f4a29a1946048a57a3a40eca8aa.jpeg

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa