Santisima Trinidad by md1400cs – FINISHED - OcCre - 1/90 - cross-section - bashed

thanks Michael 

this information  is for everyone but I just found out yesterday to know that the Santisima Trinidad model space version sold  by the UK sister site only is not offered to anyone from the US at all unless you write to the international model space and I heard from one model space member it will not be offered to the US I hope he is wrong but I did write to the UK sister site asking why is that I was going to sell mine and go with there's because the instructions are really good any comments on what I said please enlighten me  PS I hope I'm wrong to thank you 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

Ronald,

Yes. that is indeed the case. I called them several months ago. They were not aware of when, or if it (ST) would be sold stateside.

They also said that product availability does change. I also asked about their Vasa. Same reply - not available.

Oooohhhh and today I went to their USA site and the Vasa IS now available to the US market. Kinda wish I had not seen that - after spending 5 years on my

Corel version. That said I would, if you care to, just hold off and see what happens. That ship is a huge seller world-wide.

https://www.model-space.com/us/model-ships.html

PS: you could download their instruction booklets from the Euro site.

https://www.model-space.com/gb/build-the-santisima-trinidad.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

I did not know this - very nice add-on indeed

The SantisimaTrinidad kit, also contains a cross-section kit, which provides an amazing close-up view of the interior workings of the Santisima Trinidad

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

yes you are right about holding off and today they the ones from the UK replied back to me and told me they will be contacting their head office about seeing if they could ship the kit to me in the states so anyway we will see, about the downloaded instructions do you think it will work with the OcCre kit 

Ronald 

Ronald,

UK site

https://www.model-space.com/gb/model-ships.html

Don't know about cross-referencing instructions for this kit.

For my Vasa I used several diif. sources, especially for rigging. Creativity helps. The ST is a ship that seems to have many unknown areas 

of reference for the original. So just enjoy adding or avoiding kit instructional perspectives.

My current cross section is also a puzzle indeed. So I'm just exploring details - many of which may just be wrong.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

In fact you have also given me an idea. I just downloaded the instruction, and will look for the cross-section bits from them as well

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Hi Mates,

Minor – catch up post – after taking some yard time off.

When I started doing all of these block and carriage bits (again) – having spent five years on the Vasa – I found little motivation – almost shelved this one to bring up the Viking ship from under the table. Then – No – back into this project  :D

Still not sure about the cannons – sure like the ones with decorative markings, though not Spanish. That said the kit included ones are certainly more accurate and a bit longer as well. So would look better once installed with carriages fully forward. I think that the blocks are a bit big, though the next size down where way too small. Next bit air brushing the barrels. As always thank for still dropping by ---

1.thumb.jpg.29a0f0dbf86f61845548a8944d4f84a2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.21969c3a16aca9160f25290853756d5f.jpg3.thumb.jpg.05bd1673e0f8755b613d2305f2431819.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ed6ece2ffaa0b9804d6c3ef1b02b9846.jpg5.thumb.jpg.145860bad110c409830e2a207386950e.jpg 

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Welcome back Michael.
The quality of the brass cannons looks better for me.

Great work!

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the welcome back and you visits. :piratebo5:

So, carriages/guns put on hold - It occurred to me that I prob. should copper the hull before adding more bits and  decks. This will be my first effort. I’ve seen and followed some great builds that added plates. Of course this small, easy cross section will be a “walk in the park, compared to coppering full hulls.

That said, I read a very interesting letter in the Spring 2018 Vol. 63 issue of the Nautical Research Journal. Member, Ian Poole, was commenting about how copper plates added to models are sometimes rather inaccurate looking because of the “nails issue”. He stated that available copper plates have overly large simulated copper nail indentations. He went on to state that, of course, copper plates were attached using counter sunk copper nail heads; indeed barely visible.

In any case copper nails should not stand out above the plates. All for obvious reasons

So It got me thinking about how to “improve” the look of the after-market plates that I intend to add to this build.

My solution.

1) Use the Model Shipways plates that I had pre-purchased.

2) Using piers flatten all the nail dimples on each plate

3) Flip the plate over and attach those to the hull with the backside facing up. This look more accurately simulates the look of counter-sunk copper nails.

Here are a few preliminary photos;

The new plate faces certainly looks more “realistic”.

PS: Yes – lots and lots of extra time will be needed having to re-work each of the 100s of needed plates. Could be overkill??

Regards,

1.thumb.jpg.2d92052d4f23a1726772393782836f25.jpg2.thumb.jpg.63c4f8db8a05362dd596c5e3519e50da.jpg3.thumb.jpg.86e46f4d3e558c25577a7d3d2d4c78d8.jpg4.thumb.jpg.b9263f3170583773e41033ab1c308f5f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.b65d1f034d9b5f9b4993b5ca307777f3.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I think you have a great idea for your copper plating method!

If you have trouble, you might try a method I have use in the past.

Buy commercially available copper strip rolls to the width you need

IMG_2167.thumb.jpg.81359e08db81864ffff5c0322b028fe8.jpg

Then I use this pizza roller gadget I have that will put indents the way you want them.

I roll the gadget along each side of the copper strip, using a steel ruler as a guide for the roller.

Then I cut the strip to the lengths I need, using the cutting block shown in the 1st photo.

IMG_2168.thumb.jpg.461d9b89f2fc4b57b09a92645406c04b.jpg

Also, to ensure the plates stay on the hull, I spread slow drying glue on a section of hull and then add the strips.

Anyway, just another idea!

Frank

if you want to flatten the copper,  you could try using a rolling pin.......do 'em in mass quantities ;)   just so happens,  I found one of those ponce wheels in the cellar of our apartment building..........took me a while to get it back into working shape.   glad to see your back at the table :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

HI Mates,

Frank: thanks for the idea. I knew about this technique, but not quite comfortable enough trying to make the strips look realistic.

Denis: tried your idea. The admiral has a wooden rolling pin, I don’t think that I could push hard enough to flatten the dimples. Also the wood absorbed some of the pressure points. I got poor results.

So Plan B; No longer using the pliers, one at a time instead using double sided tape and our knife sharpening stone just taping on the dimples with a hobby hammer. Much better, and faster "factory production" --

Also, since I will reverse side -- attach of the plates –dimples really need to be very flat to properly lay upon hull planks once glue is added. Hammer taps on that stone block does the trick.

Not sure what glue to use will try CA Gel on a practice piece.

Cheers,

1a.thumb.jpg.fd94da50e1302be85f81a2db271fbf5a.jpg2a.thumb.jpg.6b1e551b5e0ec796bb5bddbca9dd2922.jpg3.thumb.jpg.87a447ab015aca97689d4c5723013bbe.jpg4.thumb.jpg.4e066fc5265905d4be2a62a958d49558.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Martyn: Thanks - ordered the Gorilla brand. Now straightening out and or slightly curving the copper plates. Glue comes Monday so looking forward to this section of the build. 

Patrick: Agreed the brass, non decorated barrels will look more appropriate for this build. After the coppering, will get back to getting those painted, mounted, and secured to the lower deck. Then I need to figure out the proper locations for the gun door framing, and how they connect to outer hull planking. My Vasa was all wrong (at the outer hull) -- I'm determined to get it right this time :default_wallbash:

As always mates thanks for your advice, help, and just dropping by

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

A couple of Very minor updates from today --

Added rope stays to the barrels

Added shot framing to the lower gun deck (not as it should be) but done,

IMG_0027.thumb.jpg.a4274bc604ca220d26306929bda84e2c.jpgIMG_0030.thumb.jpg.07b7d88790c017dcbec82038b7f05386.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Started copper plates installation. Decided to start at keel, because if I messed up -during first attempt at this - I could easily hide errors, and learn as I went up to the water lines. Yes some early alignment, and spacing issues -- hiding haha -- but once I got the hang of it all fell into a nice pattern, so far so good. Here are a few early start pics.

Regards as always,

1.thumb.jpg.bffa84c3c01551c88aca5820c30f7c94.jpg3.thumb.jpg.473e39821962263911d86cb7374d4e6f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.9493dbbb2f68a9554eea26db8b44dfeb.jpg6.thumb.jpg.c2eb00efefd85d8b0d41c10123dd99db.jpg7.thumb.jpg.307a402ea2825ac8e1c79278586ee4d1.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

coppering looks really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi mates

Denis: Thanks for the comments. Before I even think about “patting myself on the back” I need to bow :imNotWorthy: to all builders who actually copper entire hulls. My simple little cross section doesn’t hold a candle to those other builder's work and the complexities involved in properly setting 1000s of plates to the curves also involved. I am happy, however with how this first attempt is coming out. :)

1.thumb.jpg.43dcf6626e424d42d92757e1ff3eeaa6.jpg2.thumb.jpg.aaeb231b675ace8f28b6c2397ae773bc.jpg3.thumb.jpg.5ec699f70fe5ab208ea858104107bbf3.jpg

Frank:  these pliers were part of a set I bought years ago when I was detailing model cars and engines.

4.jpg.b4796a2833d4b0dcfb7bc98997465e0b.jpg

I think that I got them at Micromark.  

https://www.micromark.com/Metal-Forming-Pliers-Set-of-4

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

looks like a neat set of pliers.........something to look into :)    so true about the coppering......with a cross section,  your spared the pains of having to taper.   I've not coppered a hull either........it will be interesting when I have the chance to  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Finished up the coppering. Will use the kit provided gun port frames only as a guide to locate proper framings throughout. I also plan to build the hull gun port doors from scratch.

Note – kit instructions suggest using black and then red paint for certain timbers, including carriages. I have shied away from this with my two previous builds, and will do the same with this one, just a very personal preference nothing more. So I will leave those triple oak wales as they are.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.227a3441c7dc9fa57f8afd9ba36a0e37.jpg1b.thumb.jpg.f5e1355162b1c5daf41ac4a8a1e1f8ba.jpg3.thumb.jpg.44b1d834012216f3de4e016f37c4d4c7.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

As always, beautiful work Michael

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Patrick: as always thanks...

Starting on the lower gun deck outer hull planks along with, this time, proper looking gun port framing as well as second row of wales.

My last build cannon wood framing was was so not ok -- last pic

(I was still learning [still am])

As always mates thanks for dropping by......

Cheers,

IMG_0092.thumb.jpg.efe871c10b4c0845069928c000a4275c.jpgIMG_0096.thumb.jpg.d67f8a8e34a95517c891259ed83eed41.jpg1871861091_IMG_005copy2.thumb.JPG.90d32a028d692b4051a520fa16838c2b.JPG

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

NICE!  Michael.... looking good!!

Frank